JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I went to the range with a buddy and proceeded to blow through a fair number of 38 special and .45 acp rounds. I was trying out my new (to me) GP100 and he was blowing the dust out of his Springfield Arms .45. He isn't set up for reloading, so at the end of the shoot, we picked up our brass and he gave me his 100 or so rounds he had shot since I am already setup for .45 acp (I will probably reload them and hand them back to him)

So as I was digging through the spent brass last night I saw this and asked him about it, he shrugged and said "don't know; that happens sometimes".... This appears to be a case getting caught in the slide during ejection or something.... I haven't seen this before. Fortunately, it only affected a couple of the cases out of the 100 rounds... Anybody know what would cause this? These were factory Remington rounds.. not likely to be a loading issue....

0127171920a-hdr_orig.jpg

A slightly limp wrist on occasion will cause this. :)

Really? That actually makes some sense. He has been fighting crippling arm pain for the better part of a year and just had surgery to correct a nerve condition about a month ago. He has lost quite a bit of arm strength, so that may be the answer right there.

Thank you all knowing and powerful Oz... I mean Velzey:D

The empty doesn't eject properly and when the slide comes forward it mashes it into the back of the barrel. Lock the slide back and hold the brass against the barrel until it fits if you are curious exactly where it got mashed. Usually it stops the slide and you have to clear it. I would have thought your friend would have noticed. I don't think it is in any danger of blowing up but certainly makes you question it's reliability for a carry piece. Having a gunsmith check it out isn't a bad idea.

I didn't notice him creating any colorful words as we were shooting, and I traded weapons with for a few rounds and shot it myself.... it seemed to work ok for me. I assumed that the case wasn't clear of the slide and getting smacked somehow in the process, but I would have expected a jam as badly mashed as the neck of the case appears to be.

No big deal, I can straighten the neck with some pliars and it will be good to go for reloading

:s0111:

Is it possible it was from someone else's gun?? I wouldn't straighten it. It is already starting to split enough that you won't get much retention from the crimp. Having the bullet set back from recoil could be a lot worse than throwing away a couple of pieces of brass.
Edited; I missed the j/k.

Last night I went to the range with a buddy and proceeded to blow through a fair number of 38 special and .45 acp rounds. I was trying out my new (to me) GP100 and he was blowing the dust out of his Springfield Arms .45. He isn't set up for reloading, so at the end of the shoot, we picked up our brass and he gave me his 100 or so rounds he had shot since I am already setup for .45 acp (I will probably reload them and hand them back to him)

So as I was digging through the spent brass last night I saw this and asked him about it, he shrugged and said "don't know; that happens sometimes".... This appears to be a case getting caught in the slide during ejection or something.... I haven't seen this before. Fortunately, it only affected a couple of the cases out of the 100 rounds... Anybody know what would cause this? These were factory Remington rounds.. not likely to be a loading issue....

View attachment 338381
If it is ejecting looking like that I would not be shooting the pistol until it was looked over very good. This may have been someones brass from a jam. If it came out looking like that and the pistol cycled I would be worried.

Looks like thin brass on a few casing mabey. Possibly clean and lube chamber. Or looks like a case that's been reloaded too many times and thinned. Never seen that on new. Don't use much REM ammo either.

Looks like it was chewed on by a brass eating range rat.
Next time you visit the range look for small droppings laced with primers and brass shavings in them.

I get that sometimes on the last round in a mag w/my RO compact, only happens on the last round in a mag and it usually ejects pretty softly sometimes hitting me in the head or falling on the ground at my feet. I think it's an extractor issues, not tensioned properly though I haven't looked into it. Doesn't happen all the time, maybe every 3d or 4th mag. That one's 9mm, my 45's don't do it.

I am pretty sure that it came from his gun. This was at a private range and the floor was clean before we started shooting (and before we left :D).

I hadn't considered brass eating range rats.... :p too bad I didn't see any for some live target practice :rolleyes:

I hadn't seen a case munched like this before... I would have expected it to jam as strong as the impact appears on the case. I might suggest that he get the gun checked out just because... but if it's not hanging onto the gun tightly enough, that may be just a issue with muscle tone as he recovers from surgery.

Man up, hold the gun firm.

Happens with people who watch Portlandia a lot I hear.:eek::eek::eek:

Since the damage was done AFTER the shot was fired you are more than likely correct with it being bitten by the slide.

zooming in it's easy to see the brass has been bent in which of course is post firing..

0127171920a-hdr_orig.jpg

Last Edited:
I wonder if those gouges match up perfectly with the feed ramp.
If he had no malfunctions and all the brass is indeed his, it probably does.
For a cartridge to get that gouged and then to fire would mean that gross bullet setback during feeding has happened.. a very dangerous situation.

Lol.... you gotta know this guy to appreciate how much he's going to LOVE me telling him he has a LIMP wrist!.... I may have to tell him over the phone so I don't get hat whipped :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top