JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Speer manual from the 80's that seem to have some very hot loads. I believe one that I had issues with was a Blue Dot load. Future manuals had a MUCH more tame loads listed. IMHO might be a little cautious with BD and old manuals.

Do you reload 45acp and have a favorite load for 230gr bullets?
Over the years of range games I found a load that worked very well for both 1911 & 625. The:eek: exact recipe:confused: for 'which powder' didn't seem as important as keeping my cast lead 230 load in the neighborhood of 760fps. Sometimes I used 200g cast at a slightly lower fps.

Thanks...I know BD can really push so I'll be doing a few small test runs at the 8.1grs...

Found my load data. I used 10 grains of BD behind a 225 grain cast round nose bullet. The load came from a manual and was good for 950 fps.

I'd use it in a revolver but not an auto. It's too hard on the gun. 231 is a better choice in my opinion.

My favorite .45 load right now is with Accurate #2. I really like the way the recoil feels with a faster powder... been using 4.7 with 234.4 grain cast and poly coated TC from the Lee 230 grain mold. ( mostly pure lead, with a wee bit of range scrap) Very accurate, and doesn't beat me or the gun up. I tried loading with 700-x and gave it up as a bad job, mentally noting not to bother with flake powders for loading on a progressive, due to difficulty in throwing consistent charges. As always, YMMV.

I used a bunch of Blue Dot behind cast bullets (220-230) in 45ACP. The 45 case is so small that a standard primer has no issues with ignition and velocities will run on the high side. The down side is how filthy that bullet/powder combo turned out to be.

I used a bunch of Blue Dot behind cast bullets (220-230) in 45ACP. The 45 case is so small that a standard primer has no issues with ignition and velocities will run on the high side. The down side is how filthy that bullet/powder combo turned out to be.
Thanks...I ran a couple dozen at 8.2gr this week and they shot true but is a bit dirty. I like the powder at this light load so far.

@Knute, are you weighing the charges individually? Just curious, I thought about doing that with the 700-X, but I'm too lazy, and wasn't all that impressed with the ladder test I did.

@Knute, are you weighing the charges individually? Just curious, I thought about doing that with the 700-X, but I'm too lazy, and wasn't all that impressed with the ladder test I did.
I us an automatic progressive that loads the powder but, I have been weighing every few rounds while I'm getting comfortable with the Blue Dot. It meters really well so far.

I have a Speer manual from the 80's that seem to have some very hot loads. I believe one that I had issues with was a Blue Dot load. Future manuals had a MUCH more tame loads listed. IMHO might be a little cautious with BD and old manuals.
Valid information, especially since Alliant changed BlueDot a bit a while back. What was once my favorite powder for the 41 Mag became a "NO GO". This happened within the last 5 years ago or so.

I bought a can of Blue Dot on the advice of someone on the net for use in 10mm and .40 S&W. It was accurate, but shooting it was like driving a musclecar in a snow storm; possible but not fun.

I bought a can of Blue Dot on the advice of someone on the net for use in 10mm and .40 S&W. It was accurate, but shooting it was like driving a musclecar in a snow storm; possible but not fun.
Agree...I used lots of it in Glock 40 10mm, and in my S&W 29...may still sell the unopened five pound barrel of BD.

Yes, you guys are right about old loading manuals. You can really eat your jug in the juicer with some of the old loads. A powder to be very cautious with is SR4756. I got into trouble with that one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top