JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From a reloading perspective, I think the 458 Socom is logistically a more sound choice. Once you are set up with a nice stockpile of brass, there are much greater bullet varieties/availability for the 458. The .458" diameter bullets are the king of the 45 caliber projectiles.

I was heavily invested in 45-70 components already, so it was an easy choice for me to go with the 458 socom. Most all the 45-70 projectiles and some of the same powders work in the 458 socom. The only hitch I had reloading was with my go to dies, (Redding) were not good. The sizing die was a hot mess and I stuck several cases. I gave up and bought a set of Hornady dies and have loaded hundreds of rounds without issue. Some of my favorite loads are subsonic and some are tickling the heels of the 45-70.

Big bore AR's are fun for sure. I love my 50 Beowulf! I'm not sure I'd like a single shot AR though. A Ruger American Ranch in 450BM would be the ticket. I know, not what the OP is going for but would be better suited I'd think.
Now, the 45 Raptor, that sounds like my next project for my Aero AR10!!!!

No one has mentioned it so far, but I have found PLAIN BASED cast bullets erratic in my .458S.
They, "Pattern" more than, "Group".
For an all round bullet, I have settled on the .325 gr. FNGC by RCBS from MidWay U.S.A. It's a double cavity mold that works well with my bottom drop LEE lead pot.

I was so disappointed with plain based performance that I gave away the molds I had and went strictly with gas checked. I eventually bought a gas check punch and that's where I am today. My latest endeavor is powder coating, but I haven't had a chance to fire any of them yet. :(

I was so disappointed with plain based performance that I gave away the molds I had and went strictly with gas checked. I eventually bought a gas check punch and that's where I am today. My latest endeavor is powder coating, but I haven't had a chance to fire any of them yet. :(
Big bore AR's are fun for sure. I love my 50 Beowulf! I'm not sure I'd like a single shot AR though. A Ruger American Ranch in 450BM would be the ticket. I know, not what the OP is going for but would be better suited I'd think.
Now, the 45 Raptor, that sounds like my next project for my Aero AR10!!!!
I know there are a few budget 450 bushmaster bolt rifles out there. And there are even a few 458 SOCOM bolt rifles out there (not budget though):

I am thinking about delaying a 458 purchase and getting the 350 Legend Side charging upper to accompany the 450 BM side charging upper I already ordered. The cost of loading the 458 SOCOM is going to be prohibitive at the moment and I think we'll see continued deals at BCA for these uppers.

The 450 BM I ordered is a Gen 2. Here is a video detailing the differences between the BCA Gen 1 and Gen 2 side charging systems.

I would go with the 450 Bushmaster, just because of it's current popularity. It appears as though it will be sticking around for a while.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top