JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A couple of things. I do not consider the 450 bm = to the 45-70. The 45-70 is quite a bit more capable. A better comparison would be the 458 socom to the 45-70. Although it comes closer it is also eclipsed by the 45-70 in a modern strong action. That being said, the 450 bm is capable of cleanly killing a black bear but would not be my first choice for protection from them. Put me in the 12ga camp but also with a sidearm strapped to me. The places I camp have grizz, blackies, cougar, wolf and moose. I am always armed.

Last Edited:
A couple of things. I do not consider the 450 bm = to the 45-70. The 45-70 is quite a bit more capable. A better comparison would be the 458 socom to the 45-70. Although it comes closer it is also eclipsed by the 45-70 in a modern strong action. That being said, the 450 bm is capable of cleanly killing a black bear but would not be my first choice for protection from them. Put me in the 12ga camp but also with a sidearm strapped to me. The places I camp have grizz, blackies, cougar, wolf and moose. I am always armed.

I'll expand on this 45-70 thing. I'd say the 458 Socom has the oomph to match the regular ol 45-70 loads you buy in the green and yellow box, but the 45-70 has room for a bunch O powder and can use it in a strong action to push heavy bullets much faster than the 458 Socom. The huge benefit of an AR platform is quick follow up shots. Lots of them. :D

This. I have a modern 1886 and 1885. Both will send 300gr bullets at 2200fps and 405gr bullets at 2000fps.

I'd still carry a 12ga like my 590.

3C8C6BBF-DA1E-41C1-91BD-200322849F9C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top