JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Minimun you need to talk to a rep from the maker and probably send it in. If you drop the bolt and it doesnt go into battery something isnt right. Could be out of spec bolt or chamber or a barrel not torqued right.

Minimun you need to talk to a rep from the maker and probably send it in. If you drop the bolt and it doesnt go into battery something isnt right.
At this point, this.

Hard to work through it without being there next to you.

If the bolt without a round in it will not fully seat in battery, I think that's what your last post said? Then there is definitely something wrong.

At this point, this.

Hard to work through it without being there next to you.

If the bolt without a round in it will not fully seat in battery, I think that's what your last post said? Then there is definitely something wrong.
No, seats fine without a round

I got the 18" and its definitely a tromix barrel. But i cant get the bcg to seat all the way to begin with, so i dont see how the ejection port can be the problem, as it hasnt even come into play when the problem starts. Also it doesnt come into play when the cartridge is stuck to the bolt when i get the charging handle pulled back.

Ive tried 2 different types of factory ammo.
If the bolt and barrel are Tromix, that's good. They make good stuff.

I mentioned the ejection port as you stated that the round stayed on the bolt when pulling it back after getting it unstuck. Without seeing this, I'd think the port was too small to allow a live round to eject. Hence why most that make 450s use a bigger ejection port. As most 556 ports are enough to let a spent 450/458/50 case out, they can be iffy on loaded rounds.

If you are pulling it back and the live round is dead straight in the receiver, then the ejector is not doing its job. That was why someone earlier asked.

ARs do not have a fixed ejector. They have a plunger on the bolt face. This applies pressure to one side of the case. On the rearward travel, as the round exits the chamber, this pressure pushes the cartridge into the side of the receiver. As it goes backwards it meets the port and starts to stick out, it is then held onto by the extractor until it hits the back of the port sending it flying.

if I were to guess, it would be the bolt is cut for the wrong rim diameter. .450 uses a .473" rim, like the .458 Socom. Maybe a 7.62x39 bolt? It may be pushing the round, rim and all into the chamber. But, I am not a gunsmith, so there is that.

Having this problem with my brand new bushmaster upper. Wouldnt close all the way, i pull back charging handle and cartridge stays in chamber. I drop charging handle again and push it in, VERY hard to pull back, when it does, the cartridge comes out stuck in the bolt face, scuffed up brass when i pop it off. Switched ammo types and tried again, only this time i cant pull the charging handle out, its flat stuck. Im new to ars, so not sure what to do at this point with not being able to pull the charging handle back to clear the round. I bought it as a complete upper, and its clearly been test fired.View attachment 678918
Shoot the hell out of it ITS NEW. Took about 100 rounds for mine to smooth out.;)

I thought you could force it? Mine did the same thing, scratching cases and getting stuck. If you can get a few to fire for ya that will really take the edges off and break things in.If your playing with it at home , make some dummy rounds up so ya don't shoot the cat. :D:D

Last Edited:
No, when i try to force it the bolt carrier still wont go forward all the way, but the bolt can then get stuck on the cartridge. Can not fire. And the only cat here is a cougar that has a dead goat cached in my back yard right now, no great loss if it was to be the victim of a ND
I thought you could force it? Mine did the same thing, scratching cases and getting stuck. If you can get a few to fire for ya that will really take the edges off and break things in.If your playing with it at home , make some dummy rounds up so ya don't shoot the cat. :D:D

With the bcg taken out, i can drop a cartridge into the chamber and drop it out no problem, no friction. Wouldnt that indicate that the problem is with the bolt, not the chamber?

The bolt has no markings on it to indicate which caliber it is intended for, and one thing of note is that NLA's explanation for why it was taking so damn long to ship was that they were waiting on BCGs

Try this. Take your bcg apart. Take a .450 round and put one edge under the extractor and see if you can fit the rim into the bolt face, pushing the extractor in.
Should be able to push the extracor in and fit it inside. This is my .458 as an example.
15859661791494148133107223138462.jpg

With the bcg taken out, i can drop a cartridge into the chamber and drop it out no problem, no friction. Wouldnt that indicate that the problem is with the bolt, not the chamber?

The bolt has no markings on it to indicate which caliber it is intended for, and one thing of note is that NLA's explanation for why it was taking so damn long to ship was that they were waiting on BCGs
No that would show anything except it drops in and out freely. It's a straight walled case. It headspaces off the neck. It would literally only stop at the neck on the case. If the headspace is off or tight this won't be noticeable until trying to chamber a round with the bolt behind it.

Hope that makes sense and or helps?

Have you noticed any bullet set back in the rounds you tried to chamber?

So theyre sending me a new bolt, that was their instant solution. I was told by rainier arms that the reason my order was taking so long was because NLA was waiting on bcgs. Im thinking maybe there is a known problem with this batch. But since they just want to send me a new bolt, now i have to get go / no go gauges to be safe. And the only place i could find them was pacific tool and gauge. $100. And a friend who ordered from them didnt get his gauges for 2 months. Not too happy right now with next level armament.

Are these reloads or factory ammo. Either way ammo could be the problem. Maybe try another brand if factory. If reloaded, first take empty fully sized case and make sure it goes into full battery. If that is a go then load a dummy round with bullet seated .050" deeper than before and see if it will go into battery. If it does, It could be the bullet design is seated too long and ogive is jamming into rifling. Can you see any marks on the bullet itself after mortaring the round out? Anything is possible but if it is truly a Tromix bolt and barrel it should be gtg. You could also call Tromix directly and talk to Tony. He has been very approachable and helpful in my dealings with him.

I dont hand load, i tried 2 different types of factory ammo. There are scuff marks lengthwise on the brass, and now that you mention it there does seem to be a few light horizontal scuffmarks on the jackets

20200409_073839_copy_800x450.jpg

Interesting. The ones running the length of the cartridge could be from feedramp but the ones running perpendicular, especially on bullet jacket are suspect. Remove bcg and get a good light and inspect chamber for defects should be fairly smooth with no raised metal burrs or tooling marks. It is possible that Tony let one slip out that is short throated or has a chamber issue. I would call him for sure. If he made it he will stand behind it. Here is # 918 543-3456.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top