JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

Does anyone have any good load data for 45 Super? I have Quickload and I have found a lot of older load data on the net. But most of it refers to powders that don't exist anymore (ie. AA5, etc.) or are too expensive (Nv powers, etc.). Anyone have load data for 45 Super in current common (ie. inexpensive) powders like Power Pistol, Unique, 700-X, Tightgroup, Bullseye, etc.?

I load Lee TL452-255 RF that come in at 265gr., Lee TL452-230 TC that come in at 240gr, and Lee Lee 452-160 RF that come in at 170gr. I powder coat them using the double quench low heat method, so they should be good for higher than normal lead pressures; but accuracy will be the determining factor. Not sure of the BN level on them, but I know its north of 15. I have yet to use my new tester on them. I also have some berry's 230gr plated hollow base for targets, and some Speer Gold Dot 230gr I plan on loading for self defense.

I'm using a Glock 36 upper on a Glock 30 SF frame, with KKM fully supported match grade barrel, and Wolff steel guide rod with 23lbs recoil spring, plus extra power stricker spring. It increased the trigger pull a bit, but I put a polished - connector and heavy trigger spring in it to put it back down to a reasonable pull. It is rather snappy because of the light weight of the 36 slide, compared to a standard 30 slide. I've done some Supers using Power Pistol, and they were pushing the 265gr. at about 860fps in a 2 inch group at 7 yards according to my chrono. But it was pretty much a guess using Quickload as to if that would work. I would like to get some more solid data.

Thank,

Rodney

I've never loaded for it, but if you can look up a powder with a similar burn rate, that might be a start.

You could also look up a medium to hot 45 ACP load and start there watching for pressure signs.

I found an app called Reloading Assistant. I selected "reloading data/tracker". Make sure "handgun" is selected. In the upper right select your caliber. 45 Super shows a bunch of different loads with different powders.

Is that something like you were looking for?

Accurate Arms #5 (AA5) is a current powder. I load .40S&W and .45ACP with it a lot. Very good powder. I have about ten extra pounds I would be happy to sell if you want, $23/#. All sealed, stored properly.

AMT, I am looking more for published data, but I will check that out, thanks.

Lihigbee, my error there. I meant to say HS-7, not AA7. Faulty memory on my part. $23 # is a good deal though. If I need some I'll let you know. Thanks.

Rodney

AMT, I checked out that app. It's really nice. It has some load data that I haven't seen before. Some of it for 700-x, which is nice as that's one of my go-to powders (mostly because it's cheap and uses small small amounts of powder for most loads, similar to tightgroup). There just isn't a lot of data for 700-x out there. In fact, its not even in QuickLoad. Though, according to Lee, Solo 1000 is the same speed and has the same properties. Having started as a 10mm loader for semis, I have a stock pile of HS-6 and Power Pistol, and there are a number of loads for those. My issue is with the heavy weight cast lead loads. 255gr. lead flat point. I am having a hard time finding data for that. And yet that was, at one time, the high end bear loading. But most of the data I've been able to locate for 255gr. uses older dead powders (HS-7) or stuff just out of my price range ($40 a # is steep).

Rodney

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top