Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 auto swc question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bassman2, Apr 22, 2010.

1. bassman2

bassman2 SW WA Active Member

So in my rush to get some 45 auto for range plinking, I ordered some online and did NOT look close enough at the item number...

I ended up getting 45 auto Semi Wad Cutter instead of FMJ.

These are the flat topped lead bullets...typically used in a revolver. Will these work in a 1911 or a glock? Or will you be seeing these listed in the classifieds?

2. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I think you should watch for lead buildup if you shoot them in a glock. Try then to see if they shoot for ya. If not send them to me and ill find a use for them. :)

3. 66goat

66goat Oregon, Hillsboro Member

I currently load up oregon trail SWC for my 1911 and have not had any issues at all. They shoot great, no feeding issue, no leading. The thing I like the most is the nice hole they leave in the target!!

4. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

Me, too. I have been shooting swc handloads for decades without problems, at least in 1911's. Can't speak to the Glock. I don't overclock the loads and find them pleasant to shoot and very accurate. :thumbup:

5. Hungus

Hungus SE Portland Member

I have used plenty of swc. They will not cycle very well in my friends xd. But never been an issue in my springfield 1911 mil spec. I am not sure about glocks.

6. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

You'll have to try them out for yourself. Your guns may or may not like crayon bullets. Some guns have no issues feeding them while others choke on them.

7. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Uh.....never shoot lead bullets in a Glock. Read the manual it will warn against reloads and lead build up. Your pistol can blow up in your face!

But for a 1911 the SWC is the bullet of choice for target work. You can load up nice light target loads that will knock your socks of with their accuracy. I used them for NRA bullseye in the 1970's and they work great.
    A nice 200 grain SWC with Bullseye powder is fantastic for target work.

If you want to use them in a Glock or H&K you will have to put in a aftermarket barrel from LoneWolf or other mfg. Cost about $100 for a SS match barrel.

8. Old506

Old506 Northwest Member

I use them all of the time, except I shoot moly coated. Leave about a thumbnail of lead over the lip of the brass and roll crimp so that there is no edge from the lead to the neck of the brass. You want a nice smooth transition. I don't even measure the OAL anymore or the diameter at the neck, I just follow the above.

9. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

We (most) of us always used SWC in Bullseye Shooting - Leaves a nice, crisp, clean hole .... :)

10. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Not all of us. I'm to scared to shoot lead. I fear the lead poop in my barrel so I reload jacketed, or plated. I have some lead bullets I inherited from my brother in law but I've yet to load any. I'm sure I'm being irrationally paranoid about the lead and someday I'm sure I'll get around to trying it out. Heck i even have a melting pot, mold, lube, etc. But I just purchased those in case I ever got really poor and had to start mining my hillside for the lead I've deposited throughout the years to mold into new bullets. :D

11. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

The 185WC is a very hard lead bullet. I always fire a few hardball after I am done with the WC to help clean any lead residue out. They 'are' very accurate .... :thumbup:

For your mining lead, add some wheel weights .... :D