Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 ACP with SP primer pockets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by duginsky, Jun 2, 2010.

1. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Anyone able to share experience with reloading 45 ACP brass that have small pistol primer pockets? I picked up a few hundred brass with SPP pockets and would like to get a sense of whether this poses any problems. Thanks!

2. cosme9242

cosme9242 Kent Member

sounds like you got Fioche brass. I've loaded those light for target and they work just fine

3. slickx45

slickx45 Seattle - Eastside Active Member

What is the head stamp? They might also be Winchester NT (Non Toxic) If so they will likely have a different size flash hole. Speer also makes some .45 brass that has SP pockets. Can you give more info about the brass?

Richard

4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

NT or Speer's Clean-fire brass have small primer pockets.

I have reloaded them using small pistol primers, and they work just as well. You won't notice a difference.

5. duginsky

These are Speer. thanks for the input, folks!

6. duginsky

If I come across the Winchester NT with the small flash hole, can these also be used?

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Yes.....

8. RAT1988

RAT1988 WASHINGTON New Member

I have had good luck with them but I have noticed that you had to increase the powder charge slightly to get the same f/s

9. Sheldon

Sheldon California Member

Pain in the butt to have to look for those!!! I have a small collection and will probably load them up, but wish they didn't exist for the hassle they cause.

10. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I throw them out. I don't want to try to keep them separate from the large PP's. Get them accidentally mixed while you're loading and...

I found I had to be really careful to keep them separate while shooting, storing, loading... I'd find myself inspecting every case when loading which really slowed me down.

Brass is relatively cheap and it's not worth it to me, but it might be to everyone else. I'm speaking only for me.

$.02

11. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!! Spawn of the devil (along with berdan primed
    9mm).

I buy "mixed brass" for my 45's. I'll be cruisin' along loading up a few hundred
    on my Dillon 550, and get one of the small pocket cases in the mix. CLUNK.
    Really puts a kink in my normally happy mood.:)

12. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I hear you. I'm really anal with all calibers. I buy only indoor range pickup, matched head stamps (except for LC 5.56 which you can tell is once fired by the crimp.)

I find that mixed brands of brass have different thicknesses of brass and therefore different inside volumes. The smaller the volume, the faster pressure builds, and the faster the bullet accelerates, and the rounds all chrony differently and they shoot to different points of aim.

Since I can reload brass several times, the cost per round is really cheap. Why bother with oddball stuff? Why not have matched speeds in fps and the same point of aim? :)

Just my $.02