Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 ACP with small primer pockets?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SJS46, Nov 26, 2010.

1. SJS46

SJS46 yamhill county Active Member

While picking up excess brass at the range i must of picked up some 45 acp Blazer brass that takes small pistol primer, didn't notice until i started reloading and realized they took small pistol instead of large pistol primers, what's up with this? has anybody else ran across this?:huh:

Steve,

2. coloneltim

coloneltim Korvallistan Member

Yep, once in a while. I think I just used small pistol primers, may want o use magnums if they make them for small pistol.

Tim

3. SJS46

Been reloading for 15 years and this is the first time i have found this. I think i will just sort them out and set them aside, just a soon stay with the standard.

4. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Hey Steve - bought some of this brass when LPP's were a rare find locally. I checked this site to see if anyone could weigh in. Some of the sage advisors offered that loading these are fine with regular SPP's . However, I have been able to load up on LPP's since and never loaded any, though intend to change my press over to SPP for 9mm and will load a few to evaluate.

5. SJS46

You can have the ones i have if you want them.

6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Just discovered this myself a few months ago with Blazer 'brass' except it was with aluminum cases. Reloaded them for one time, light 'let fly' field shooting.

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Win clean ammo uses small primers as well. I usually scrap the brass so that it doesnt end up getting mixed with my normal .45 brass.

8. SJS46

Reloading aluminum? How did that work for you?

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Been doing it for years on .45, 9mm and 38/357 (when I happen to find the cases) BUT light loads and one time only.

10. Coalburner

Coalburner Whatcom County, WA Member

possibly .45 GAP cases?

I read that they use smaller primers...

11. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There was a article in one of the recent gun mags about small primer .45 ACP cases. The author did a test on them. Pretty much the same as using a case with large primers. You would be just fine using them, but just like any other reloading project, it would be wise to start low and work up.

12. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I agree, use them, however, those who know me, realize, i just move to the other press.. both are set up. Change ( move) the Dillion head to the other press and good to go.. tahoo.

13. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Winchester Non-Toxic (Win NT headstamp) also uses these. Typically, this is what happens when they are using lead free primers. I just reload them in the "let free" category as well, or use them when I'm shooting competition and there's some jerk who's pilfering all my good brass.

These things are a real PITA when using a dillon 1050, let me tell you. If you're not careful *KABOOOM*