JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the recoil of the .45 ACP excessive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No

Votes: 141 97.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's too much for some people with inadequate wrist/arm strength to keep a decent grasp for a follow up shot. Some do not like the recoil as they are not used to that much or just plain cant handle it.

My 120 pound wife is well into her 60's and doesn't think so. Then again, she shoots full size and Combat Commander weight .45's. She might feel differently about the recoil if she were shooting one of the fly-weight mini-1911's. Me, I can't tell much difference from most 9 mm's. Most of the "recoil" is between the ears.

Not for me, but perceived recoil depends a lot on the the gun design and weight as well as loads used. I personally fell less recoil in a large 45 than a smaller, lighter 40 (neither one is excessive). A persons physical strength and gun handling techniques also effect perceived recoil.

I say no way but it also depends not only on the person shooting but on the pistol itself. A full size 1911 is going to be alot more manageable than say a Kahr PM45.

Nah, not in a fullsize, steel frame, recoil operated gun at any rate. I'm faster with 9mm though.

Actually I think the recoil is too much in direct blowback .380s and 9x18s. They are kinda snappy. Seems to me weight and the way guns are operated (blowback vs. recoil or gas) makes the bigger difference.

My step son has been shooting my 4" aluminum framed Kimber .45 since he was 11 years old. If he can handle it, then anyone can. Proper grip, stance, and mindset are more important than anything else.
Recoil on a .45 is more like a solid push... rather than a sharp snap of a light weight .40.

There's a video online somewhere of a 9/40/45 comparo with time to reaquire sight picture with x amount of shots.
In theory, it was lighter recoil = faster reaquisition of target.

But too much recoil?
I'd have to say no?

There's a video online somewhere of a 9/40/45 comparo with time to reaquire sight picture with x amount of shots.
In theory, it was lighter recoil = faster reaquisition of target.

But too much recoil?
I'd have to say no?

I would guess time to reacquire would be a function of technique and strength, although I have no data to back that up. I can only go by my own experience in timed drills for the DPSST Range qualification.

If I was a smart-***, ( which of course I will deny) I would say while you might need to reacquire and shoot again with a 9mm....you don't with a .45. But I'm not like that....really :D

My 2 cents is that it depends on the length of the barrel and the type of material used to build the frame.

A shooter is going to feel a lot more recoil when shooting a 45 with a 3' barrel made with an aluminum or plastic frame, than they are shooting the same round in a gun with a 5" barrel and a steel frame.

That said, recoil management is the key to getting used too, and learning the gun's recoil habits.

Frog.

By that rational this should be all the pistol you need. :D
M1942_liberator.jpg

That pistol was designed to get the person holding it the weapon of the German soldier they just shot. I want one I can reuse!!!!! :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top