JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am loading for a .45 acp and need to know the best bullet weight for max stopping power. On paper the 185 gr bullet has superior velocity and energy compared to the 230 gr bullet. I have always used 230 gr bullets but looking at spec sheets the 185 gr bullet appears to be superior. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kinetic energy is over rated. The theory of dumping maximum kinetic energy in the intended target creates maximum trauma is only theory.

K = 1/2 Velocity squared X Mass

Any old hunter can tell you that a fat slow bullet causes more trauma than small fast one.

Momentum and frontal area does the real work.

Momentum = Velocity X Mass

Concerning knock down power,

Force = Mass X Acceleration

Stop watching so much TV.

I am loading for a .45 acp and need to know the best bullet weight for max stopping power. On paper the 185 gr bullet has superior velocity and energy compared to the 230 gr bullet. I have always used 230 gr bullets but looking at spec sheets the 185 gr bullet appears to be superior. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Quit worrying about bullets and practice shot placement

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking for that video for months!

And yeah, "Energy" and "Knock-Down Power" are irrelevant. Penetration and placement are the biggest factors in a "quick" stop.

Heavier bullets usually are better in terms of penetration. 230gr Hornady XTP, Winchester PDX, Federal HST are what I usually go for.

The best round for stopping power is the one that hits the bad guy just below the chin dead center exiting the neck dead center removing the top 3" of the spinal column and cord. Remove the brain stem and not even reflex actions will take place.

I've shot two deer the same way and they fell like a pile of bricks in their foot prints.

Actually, shot placement is king, therefore mag capacity is not queen, rather caliber/weight is. A perfect shot with a 22 long rifle vs a 45 ACP has a huge difference in impact. Two well placed shots with the 45 auto, game over. Forget that banana clip of 22 LR.

If you're talking about reloading for self-defense, I personally would urge you to reconsider. Legally, shooting someone with a reload you made for maximum stopping power will take a lot more explaining than buying one of the myriad of great self-defense products that are on the market.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I reload the Sierra 185 grain HP. I get well over 1150 FPS with Blue Dot powder and a standard primer out of a Government length barrel 1911. That's a stomping round

I highly recommend using a Lee taper crimp die, it will make your ammo feed a LOT better

If you're talking about reloading for self-defense, I personally would urge you to reconsider. Legally, shooting someone with a reload you made for maximum stopping power will take a lot more explaining than buying one of the myriad of great self-defense products that are on the market.

It's basically never happened. OK one time in the NE libtard zone

Hands Spray-n-Pray some butter for his popcorn

Massad Ayoob has made a career for himself by spreading that largely untrue statement. This from a guy who has never actually been in a gun fight and brags about how his body armor saved his life from....the steering column in his Jeep Cherokee. He is a hell of a good shot but past that......yawn. I pretty much feel that same way about that Larry Vickers guy. Good shot but a little too in love with himself. Also evidently the fattest guy in S.F. history...maybe Army history for that matter. Anyway....always remember to consider the source and check your facts. Explain nothing. Last time I checked it is not required. That's why you have an attorney.

I reload all my non-carry ammo. As reliable as I am in my process and having never had a squib or overcharged round, I still wouldn't carry reloaded as self-defense. And I didn't get that from Ayoob or anyone other then my own 13 years of regularly testifying in court hearings and my healthy respect I've developed for prosecuting attorneys having exceptional abilities to make juries and judges see what they want them to see. As to defense attorneys, most people will end up with public defenders. There are a few good ones. But not many. The legal process is heavily weighted against you if you actually end up in court. There is such an incredibly high number of great, time-tested self-defense ammo out there now that I just don't see the need to test out your theory that everything will turn out ok because your lawyer will protect you. It's completely avoidable risk you don't need to take. As to me checking my sources, it's a good idea not to assume what those sources are. It comes off a bit condescending when you do.

The first thing even the lamest of public defenders would tell you is to keep your mouth shut and discuss nothing with the police. I disagree with the notion that most people here would end up being defended in court by a public defender rather than a more expensive, but privately retained attorney. I'd say that the demographics on this board would show a better than average income level for most. Hardly indigent. To assume that we're a bunch of poor dumb yokels is well.....somewhat condescending.

If I'm ever in a shooting......which I highly doubt will ever happen....say trillion to one odds.....I'll be using whatever is in whatever gun I have regardless of what Massad Ayoob thinks. Chances are it will be a reload, but maybe not. I'm not worried about it. About as much as I'm worried about the world ending Friday.