Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 ACP SMALL PRIMER POCKET,

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mica, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

So I got my very first 45 as a early birthday present from my Awsome wife. Xdm 45 with a 5.25 barrel.

now I will start reloading for this also and was wondering about the brass with small primer pockets ? Have you reloaded with them and whas there any diffrence between large and small primer pockets when shooting. I was thinking about starting with a 200 grn. bullet and some bullseye powde.

thanks, Mica

2. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have never shot them but I called RCBS about them and they gave me the # for the "primer expert" at CCI. A gentleman named Coy who is also a contributing editor for the Speer manuel. He claimed in the smaller charges (like the 45acp) you will notice no effects on accuracy.
    Do you know why they make the traditional large primer 45acp in small primer?

3. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

The original lead free primers were hotter than regular primers and could blow out the primer if the flash hole wasn't enlarged. The mfrs switched to small primers so there's less fuel in the primer to cause the blown primer.

I find them to be a PITA. I've got thousands of empty large pocket brass and it sucks to have one more thing to have to sort by.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's one more step in reloading, however, just send me all the small primer pocketed 45's, it then won't be a problem.. thanks.. sr

5. Mica

after looking at the responses, I feel it is just fine loading small pistol primers. I took my new 45 xdm out today and put 250 rounds through it. It shoots very nicely. I even noticed less felt recoil than my Glock 23 ( 40 sw ) I am afraid to shoot any 1911 s now. if they shoot even nicer, I might become severly addicted.

6. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

There's no technical problem with small primer 45, I'm just committed to large primer. I find 40S&W to be snappier than 45ACP, 45 is more of a push. If you really want to reduce the felt recoil, put a silencer on the front of that 45. :)

7. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Me too, split, em with you?

Mike

8. Mica

OK, of corse I stumbled onto my next question, Ive done a lot of looking for cast 45 bullets , Gen price range includes shipping is 85.00-98.00 per 1000 . is there any cheaper than that , thanks guys.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Got a good price from Cabelas on Raineir. $20.00 off $150.00 purchase and shipping was only $17.00.

Mike

10. djthemac

djthemac eugene Member

Do xds have polygonal rifling? I am in the process of switching to all spp 45 so I can use the same primer setting in my press

11. Mica

the XD does have the polygonal ,The XDM has enfield riffling. thats what I was told. Going to double check. Either way they are nice hand guns.

12. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

The best thing about shooting with SPP is I normally get all my brass back when shooting at the range with the crew.

13. Mica

Thats the conclusion I came up with to.

14. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Or to save money and the $200 "tax stamp" just put a heavy compensator on an extended barrel.

15. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I started with the 40, my 2nd gun was a 40. I began shooting others 45's.
    I bought one figuring it was "just a 45" that I could play with.
    I just have put on law away my 3nd 1911 45acp.

Addiciting "YES", you can kick a crack habit but the 1911 45acp habit is life long addication without end.
    The really good thing about 45's is when you are unable to make love any longer the 45 will still leave a smile on your face.