JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's and awesome build you have there great looking to
45 ACP is a fun round
I didn't have the skill to build one so I bought a TNW AERO SURVIVAL RIFLE in 45 ACP and it runs as good as my CZ Scorpion evo carbine
I really like it uses Glock Mags

Thanks for the data dump! You saved me from wasting some money on a future 9mm build.

Its do-able Its just not easy or foolproof. I wasted an endomag trying that route. Uzi mags work and Ive had luck with a Spartan Glock mag adapter but I'm still not confident enough in it to call it 100%. One thing for sure is that you have to use a standard AR style upper receiver with a bolt pin recess. Standard pistol caliber "pistol" type uppers will not work. The bolt has to rotate and there is no cut in most pistol caliber upper receivers to let that happen.

Its do-able Its just not easy or foolproof. I wasted an endomag trying that route. Uzi mags work and Ive had luck with a Spartan Glock mag adapter but I'm still not confident enough in it to call it 100%. One thing for sure is that you have to use a standard AR style upper receiver with a bolt pin recess. Standard pistol caliber "pistol" type uppers will not work. The bolt has to rotate and there is no cut in most pistol caliber upper receivers to let that happen.
That's the one downside to the CMMG in my opinion. They use a plain as day upper in their factory builds. So the gas tube hole is still present. So gases, especially running suppressed, leak out over the top of the barrel under the handguard. I've got a good amount of caked on crud up there from a year and half of blasting with mine. Starting to look like I'll need to remove the handguard and clean it.

I haven't actively looked for a way to plug the hole, I'm thinking I need to finally.

That's the one downside to the CMMG in my opinion. They use a plain as day upper in their factory builds. So the gas tube hole is still present. So gases, especially running suppressed, leak out over the top of the barrel under the handguard. I've got a good amount of caked on crud up there from a year and half of blasting with mine. Starting to look like I'll need to remove the handguard and clean it.

I haven't actively looked for a way to plug the hole, I'm thinking I need to finally.

I use black silicone. Its an old silencer trick.

Ran a few hundred rounds down the pipe today. Very mild recoil with the brass not ejecting very far at all. I might even put a lighter recoil spring in it. 100% run rate. Couldnt tell what the sound was like through the silencer as I was at a indoor range with some idiot next to me shooting a .308 with a muzzle brake.

Thanks for the data dump! You saved me from wasting some money on a future 9mm build.

So I spent a little time with the 9mm banshee/guard, whatever the call it over the last few days. It works and works great so dont get discouraged on the build. I used a SBR lower but any standard lower will work. Theres a number of companies marketing the Glock mag adapters. You just pull out the ejector from the adapter and insert it in the mag well. It sets the mag low e
nough that it runs no problem with the CMMG bolt and barrel. All of these CMMG bolt builds must use a standard AR upper though as the bolt pin needs to rotate and most straight blowback pistol uppers dont have the cut. I ran 300 rounds through my 9mm CMMG bolt AR yesterday and not a single hiccup. I wish the rest of the day had gone that well.

eiyDU0.jpg

So I spent a little time with the 9mm banshee/guard, whatever the call it over the last few days. It works and works great so dont get discouraged on the build. I used a SBR lower but any standard lower will work. Theres a number of companies marketing the Glock mag adapters. You just pull out the ejector from the adapter and insert it in the mag well. It sets the mag low e
nough that it runs no problem with the CMMG bolt and barrel. All of these CMMG bolt builds must use a standard AR upper though as the bolt pin needs to rotate and most straight blowback pistol uppers dont have the cut. I ran 300 rounds through my 9mm CMMG bolt AR yesterday and not a single hiccup. I wish the rest of the day had gone that well.

View attachment 645125

I have a 9mm can just begging for a 6" build, and the banshee is on the top of my list.

Been gathering parts to build a couple of 45 SBR's. My SBR receivers get frequent changes. I picked up a CMMG Guard 45 ACP delayed bolt and barrel set when they had a good sale at Optics Planet a few months ago. Add a 458 Socom upper and a Franklin Binary Trigger set and its just about ready to try out this weekend. Ive actually got two lowers to run with the upper until I can flesh out another one. The other lower is another registered SBR lower with a Macon Armory mag well adapter and proprietary stick mags.

One of the finicky things about the 45 ACP Guard bolt and barrel set is that you need to use mags that are made for a DI setup ...Like the Olympic mags in there now. Olympic is still sort of in business but they really only sell some of their mags and such. The Olympic guns I wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole but the 45 ACP mags are actually pretty slick and compared to some other mag options for CMMG Guard compatibility are really the most cost effective option.

View attachment 641752

View attachment 641753
I love what you did here! Especially with regard to the foldable stock. Would love to know the build cost and break down, I know you already mention some. I get what you say about the CMMG upper, bolt group, and Franklin Armory trigger set-up, but I think i may be dyslexic on the lower. What is it? Can you use a plain AR-15 lower? I would love to try and have a similar build but CMMG does not have the 357 SIG upper on their site.......:(.

The lower is a registered Form 1 SBR lower Ive had for 7 or 8 years but its just a standard lower. The lower uses a Macon Armory adapter and proprietary Macon Army mags. Any setup made for DI will work for the delayed rotary but the problem is the mags. CMMG will sell you one of their lowers to use Glock mags for $380 but thats insane highway robbery IMHO.... BUT... a Macon adapter and 4 mags will set you back that much or a RMW Extreme grease gun lower with 4 grease gun mags about the same so maybe its false economy except for the fact there are no high cap glock mags ( over 13 rounds) other than SGM and Korean KCI's and both of those are a little iffy. .
I ended up pulling the Franklin Armory trigger setup and went with a Rise cartridge trigger setup.

Price is what it is. Your choice of lower and $270-$380 for the bolt and barrel then normal AR parts prices.

The lower is a registered Form 1 SBR lower Ive had for 7 or 8 years but its just a standard lower. The lower uses a Macon Armory adapter and proprietary Macon Army mags. Any setup made for DI will work for the delayed rotary but the problem is the mags. CMMG will sell you one of their lowers to use Glock mags for $380 but thats insane highway robbery IMHO.... BUT... a Macon adapter and 4 mags will set you back that much or a RMW Extreme grease gun lower with 4 grease gun mags about the same so maybe its false economy except for the fact there are no high cap glock mags ( over 13 rounds) other than SGM and Korean KCI's and both of those are a little iffy. .
I ended up pulling the Franklin Armory trigger setup and went with a Rise cartridge trigger setup.

Price is what it is. Your choice of lower and $270-$380 for the bolt and barrel then normal AR parts prices.
Great to know. I will keep a look out for the 357 SIG options. I have AR pistol/ rifle lowers, but I will only consider this if uppers can be delayed-blowback so i can have the folding stock or brace.

Great to know. I will keep a look out for the 357 SIG options. I have AR pistol/ rifle lowers, but I will only consider this if uppers can be delayed-blowback so i can have the folding stock or brace.
I'd be curious if a 9mm could be reamed to 357 and used with a 40 bolt?

I dont see any reason why not other than the fact CCMG doesnt sell the bolt and barrels separately..A 9mm bolt will get you a 9mm barrel. a 40 S&W bolt will get you a 40 S&W Barrel.

Get the 45. Parts are there. Everyone has to be an individual.

I dont see any reason why not other than the fact CCMG doesnt sell the bolt and barrels separately..A 9mm bolt will get you a 9mm barrel. a 40 S&W bolt will get you a 40 S&W Barrel.

Get the 45. Parts are there. Everyone has to be an individual.
I know, I want a spare bolt too.

@trevi buy both, build the 357 and a 40 and sell me the spare 9mm bolt!

Ironically the 45 ACP version of the guard/banshee is immensely easier to build than the 9mm version. Theres a few companies making 45 ACP Direct impingement and the bolt and carrier relationship to the magazine is the same. I went with the Guard bolt setup because I wanted a really short barrel for an SBR and you can't do it with DI. In any case the mag blocks and dedicated lowers or Olympic mags for DI work perfectly with the 45 ACP guard bolt.

That cannot be said of the 9mm. It is a bloody PITA to get to work without using the $350 CMMG stripped lower for glock mags . It is doable but it requires either a special cut on an uzi mag with a Colt adapter ( or dedicated colt lower with ejector removed and specialty cut mags ) or a Glock mag adapter that has been sunk 3/16" lower than usual. Otherwise the bolt crashed into the mag. I wiped out an endomag trying to get that to work. I really dont like endomags.

They make a specific endo mag for use with the Radial delayed cmmg system (Guard). I'm pretty sure that's who makes them for CMMG actually (Arc mags).

Thanks for the tips about the 45 mags, that's the one thing holding me back from that build as I didn't feel like buying a 45 cal lower and SBRing when I have normal lowers already on a Form1!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top