1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

45 ACP +P as a steady diet?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by teflon97239, Jan 9, 2012.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

My son was given a box of DPX 45 ACP +P 185 grain lead-free hollow points. He loves 'em in his SA .45 XD and wants me to try them in my semi-hotrodded SA 1911. While the idea of a 1075 fps self-defense round decelerating and turning into a symetrical .75" star is intriguing, I have to wonder if a steady diet of these is healthy for either gun.

At $1.50/rd, neither of us will be ripping through box after box, but we both believe it's important to adequately evaluate potential carry rounds to make sure they feed reliably and perform as expected. So too hot? No problem?

Experts? Thanks in advance.
  2. oregonswamper

oregonswamper Salem Active Member

I am far from any expert, but I will always shoot a box or two of self defense ammunition through whatever firearm it is for. That is the only way to know if the ammunition will cycle the firearm. There is only one way to know if it works, and that's pulling the bang switch.
    NWAMMO and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I would not consider 50 rounds (1 box) to make sure they feed properly, a steady diet. Firearms are machines. The harder you make them work, the sooner they wear out. By all means, make sure they work, then use standard loads for practice and save the good stuff for self defense.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Although what was said about making a machine work harder will cause it to break down sooner is generally true, if your firearm is rated for +P ammo there shouldn't be a problem.
  7. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

I wouldn't worry much about the XD but I just don't know abut the 1911. Those were designed for 230gr subsonics and I have no clue what happens when you start pushing hot fast pills through them.

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

"45 ACP +P as a steady diet?" Well, they are low in calories but not considered a health food, LOL.

Put me down with those who believe that if your gun is rated for +P you're fine. I do believe in exceeding manufacturers' recommendations for replacing recoil springs anyway.

My favorite defensive round is the Remington Premier Accutip Bonded Sabot Slug for fully rifled 12ga, and they are at least $3 each, so don't worry about cost. After you run a box to be sure they work well in your gun, you don't have to shoot them all day long - only when your life's on the line. (I'm not familiar with your round's terminal performance, though.)
  9. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

XD will be fine with them. Your Springer 1911 should be fine too - but if you're going to make shooting hot loads a habit - I'd probably install a stronger recoil spring to keep the slide from battering the frame. If your gun was one of the cheap guns made by Armscor (branded as Rock Island, Charles Daly, etc) then I would be very leery about +P's. But that because I had the cast guide rod on my gun shatter while I was firing, and it did a number on my gun. Not a fan of those cheap 1911's anymore. Your Springer is made better - so I wouldn't be worried.