JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just took in some bullets on trade--projectiles anyway. They are x-treme copper plated 255 grain FPs. Diameter is .451. Trouble is, I can't find any load data for these(at least for titegroup, which is what i have 7 lbs of on hand). I realize that 255 is pretty heavy for 45 acp, but I would think I can get these to work. I regularly load the same bullet in 230gr RN over 4.6 grains of titegroup, 1.26 oal. This load functions flawlessly in my SR 1911 as well as my hi-point 45. Now I know that in general, heavier bullets should get less powder. Given this, shouldn't I be able to back the powder off by 10-20%(255-230 = 25 or 10 % of 255) or so and start from there?

Just looking for a double-check of my logic here, or an opinion from someone that has loaded 255 FPs with titegroup for 45 acp.

Thanks!

That's because those are .45 colt bullets, and will probably not feed in your gun.

If you're really intent on trying it, try starting with 3.0grs of TG, it may stick in the barrel, it may not. I wouldn't make much more than 1-2 rounds.

If that works/doesn't work alter it, and try again.

Just an FYI, the .45ACP has a max working pressure that is WAAAY lower than rifle rounds, and is lower still than most pistol rounds, you will see ZERO signs of dangerous pressure on your brass until you have gone way beyond safe levels. Just bear this in mind.

Well crap ;-). i thought 45 colt was .454. I saw the .451 and thought I was good for my acp. I am thinking I will try what you have suggested and test them in the hi-point until i find a load that cycles well. Thanks!

I Found a 45 acp load in my old Speer manual for a 260 grain Hp that called for 4.7 - 5.2 gr of bullseye. I happen to have a lb of bullseye too. I loaded a dummy round up with one of the 255 FPs and both my 45s chambered it. Think I will load a few at minimum charge and try them.

I load 255s for bowling pin matches.
Shot with my 625 revolver.
5.0 of Green Dot gives 820 FPS and really slams the pins without beating me up at the same time.
Never tried the load in a semi-auto, however.

Yea, I don't know why so many people reference .45 colt as .454", I remember a long time ago when i was just starting up my cast bullet biz I ordered a pile of .454" molds only to find out no one wanted the bullets they dropped.

I'm sure they can be shot, but Taroman doesn't have to worry about cycling the action in that wheel gun. I imagine if they cycle you're doing well for yourself.

I have loaded 45 Colt bullets in acp cartridges. I used Nosler 250 grain HP and Hornady 300 grain HP, both of which are .452 in diameter. I used Hi-Skor 700-x, 5.7 grains in the Nosler and 5.3 grains in the Hornady. I would bump up the the Hornady load to 5.5 if I did it again. The Nosler bullet chambers and fires in my 1911, the Hornady does not. But I loaded them for my Hi-Point carbine and both fire well in it.
I would suggest running your loads through a Lee Factory Crimp & Sizing Die. The inside of the acp case is tapered, so the longer projectile creates a bulge, this can be removed with that die.

I'm using up a couple hundred 250gr LRN left over after selling my last 45 Colt. They are 454 dia and I load with a fairly light Unique load and they have shown no issues whatsoever. Probably the lead bullet is very forgiving. They do rock the small steel gong we set out at 20 or 25 yds.
451 or 452 bullets shouldn't be hard to find a load that works. May need to experiment with the OAL.

Any range reports yet?

I made 3 rounds for each pistol using 4.0 grains of bullseye and an OAL of 1.223. These all chambered and functioned correctly but felt hot. So I backed the charge down to 3.8 grains for the next batch of 15. Shot these this afternoon after walking the dogs and they worked great--100% perfect function and recoil felt better. Unfortunately I do not have access to a chrony, so that will have to do....I went with a lower charge because in order to get these to chamber reliably I had to seat the bullet pretty deep.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am relieved that I will be able to use these bullets.

Edit: just finished my first batch of 100. If these function reliably I will go with this recipe.

20130811_234525.jpg

20130811_234525.jpg

Nice! out of curiosity, was there any significant difference in report (noise)? People are always bugging me about quieter heavier stuff.

Not that I noticed but I always wear my electric muffs, so it's hard to tell. Next time I go shoot I will compare the 255s to normal loads using a db meter on my phone.

Measure your 45 caliber bullets. Also, know your bore size.

Then......

The old standard for lead 45 caliber bullets was .454".

Anyway......

The newer revolvers use lead 45 caliber bullets in .452". Which happens to also be useful for the 45ACP. But, when using them with a semi auto pistol, the shape may be a problem. So, as was previously mentioned......run a test batch. Bullets made for a revolver might just work with your semi auto. Test it and see.

Remember to always start off low and work your way up.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......BTW, my Speer Manual #10 also had data for 141 gr. round ball lead measuring .454" for use in the "modern" 45LC cartridge.

So I went and shot 100 more of these 255 FPs after work yesterday(picked 2 gallons of blackberries too ;-)) and had only one Fail to Feed--not bad and acceptable for plinking rounds, which is all these are. I tried my using both my tablet(samsung andriod) and my sons ipod to measure the loudness with several db apps, but none of them delivered what I consider to be reliable data. Even with the devices on the hood of my truck with me shooting from behind and above, the highest reading we saw was 104 db. That can't be right--i would expect more like 150db. I also tried loading up mags with half 255 FPs and half 230 RN(4.6 titegroup) for every other shot and I could not tell the difference between the two.

Overall I think the load is a success and I am happy with it ;-)

I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone ever plans on using this load. I chrony'd these yesterday out of my SR1911 and observed between 740 and 757 fps. So not hot at all. It looks like I could up the charge a bit if I wanted to, but since these function 100% reliably, I will probably leave it like it is.

So I went and shot 100 more of these 255 FPs after work yesterday(picked 2 gallons of blackberries too ;-)) and had only one Fail to Feed--not bad and acceptable for plinking rounds, which is all these are. I tried my using both my tablet(samsung andriod) and my sons ipod to measure the loudness with several db apps, but none of them delivered what I consider to be reliable data. Even with the devices on the hood of my truck with me shooting from behind and above, the highest reading we saw was 104 db. That can't be right--i would expect more like 150db. I also tried loading up mags with half 255 FPs and half 230 RN(4.6 titegroup) for every other shot and I could not tell the difference between the two.

Overall I think the load is a success and I am happy with it ;-)

So as someone who has played with this quite a bit.. the phones don't go above 104db unless they are specifically tweaked for it.. so you could try setting your phone a cars distance away and take a shot.. more than likely your correct on your 150db reading and your phone will not be able to record that... at least not correctly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top