JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Several months back I got my hands on 1000 - 200 grain LSWC for my 45. This morning i decided to give them a try. I loaded a 100 or so and headed to the range. Firing out of a glock 30 the bang doesn't have enough umph to cycle the action so I get a case stuck - although the bullets appear extremely accurate at 25 yards.

i am checking other reloading data and it says to go to 3.5 grains which I find totally amazing. since my usual recipe is 230 lrn with 5.1 grain with no problems. I would think the load would be hotter for a lighter round to maintain pressure. so....I am thinking about upping it to 5.5 grains and then a few at 6.0 to see if performance improves. the lack of recoil is also very noticable against factory ammo - its almost half of what a fmj feels like.

any warnings, words of wisdom, do's, dont's or ??

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my g 30 I switched to tightgroup from hogdon another good powder for this load is universal mid to top range of load should work fine .which can be found on their website for free downloadable. Hope it helps

Best Regards
Dave

when you are firing a Glock even with an aftermarket barrel, be careful with your bullet selection. Bullets with a pronounced shoulder like SWC often do. They will chip and/or break extractors. The fired brass can catch on the shoulder of the next round in the mag during ejection. I chipped two before I was informed of this.

I shoot about 8k-10k/year of 200gr SWC, except mine are moly coated. I would say to work it up, read up on looking for excessive pressure signs (if you aren't familiar) and go from there. Take a look at your brass, is it black? If it is black you may not be getting a seal in your chamber and the gas may be escaping causing your brass to have a black powder film. If this is the case you need more umph.

You may want to switch powders, I like W231 for lead, for Moly I shoot titegroup (titegroup because it uses less powder and is cheaper). Some like Clays but I don't like the recoil pulse, it is a little too snappy and titegroup/231 is softer. Don't shoot titegroup using lead, you will look like a train engine!

My favorite plinking/target load is a plated 185 gr. SWC in front of 8 gr. Of Unique.
I cast 200 gr. tumble lubes and they seem to work best over 7 gr. of Green Dot...the bullet profile is rounded.
I don't use a Glock, however, so YMMV.

DSCF2935.jpg

Glocks will shot lead bullets but they have to be hard cast 15 Brinnell hardness is the softest I go. I manufacture cast lead bullets. email me if you are interested in ordering some. thanks Frank

I shoot about 8k-10k/year of 200gr SWC, except mine are moly coated. I would say to work it up, read up on looking for excessive pressure signs (if you aren't familiar) and go from there. Take a look at your brass, is it black? If it is black you may not be getting a seal in your chamber and the gas may be escaping causing your brass to have a black powder film. If this is the case you need more umph.

You may want to switch powders, I like W231 for lead, for Moly I shoot titegroup (titegroup because it uses less powder and is cheaper). Some like Clays but I don't like the recoil pulse, it is a little too snappy and titegroup/231 is softer. Don't shoot titegroup using lead, you will look like a train engine!

been thinking about this or a few days and talking to some folks. I think your approach is the best. It's possible the powder is not completely consumed by the time the bullet is leaving the barrel. I have some faster burning powder that I will try today and see if that improves.

thanks for the comments and advice all.

interesting...5 grains of HP38 was worse. In some cases action wouldn't move. tired of fiddling with this.

if anyone can use around 800 rounds (projectiles) of 200 grain LSWC - ping me - I'll let em go for cheap - 50 bucks takes.

interesting...5 grains of HP38 was worse. In some cases action wouldn't move. tired of fiddling with this.

if anyone can use around 800 rounds (projectiles) of 200 grain LSWC - ping me - I'll let em go for cheap - 50 bucks takes.

Can you hand cycle the slide with a full mag and a round in the chamber? If not, the SWCs may not work...I found in my P250 than the rim was hitting the bullet shoulder of the the round in the mag when extracting, causing a failure to extract.

You only want about a thumbnails worth of lead exposed above the case rim and you want a smooth transition from lead to brass, you don't want to fill any lip at all, smooth. Do this and they will run.

It looks to me that you have too much lip, roll crimp that lip in so that there is no lip from lead to case mouth. The OAL looks pretty good, let me guess, 1.234? or close?

boy I dunno - I wanna stuff 30 grains of H110 in there and fix the problem. will do what you suggested and see what happens. my hunch is still wont work with the load thats in there 5.0 grains of HP38

My book says that 5.2 grains of win 231 is the starting load. Maybe you need to go a little more?

yeah wrong powder - look at hp38 and red dot they are much lower. I dont wanna go buy new powder to use this stuff will up the charge a bit and see what happens and if it works great, if not I will sell the whole lot.

HP 38 and WIN231 are the same. I think that you are a little too low.

yeah wrong powder - look at hp38 and red dot they are much lower. I dont wanna go buy new powder to use this stuff will up the charge a bit and see what happens and if it works great, if not I will sell the whole lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top