Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 ACP brass slightly concave on primer end

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by warren57, May 7, 2013.

1. warren57

warren57 Denver, Colorado New Member

loading a few 45 acp rounds. Noticed two things... a couple pieces of brass are very slightly concave on the primer end. Primer sits fine and cartridge slips right in the cartridge gage. Any problem?
    Next, I am loading a 200 gr semi wad lead bullet/ 4.4 gr hp38. In seating the lead to the oal, the lead is in the brass all the way to where the taper starts. any issues? (see picture)

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

HPIM1838.jpg

2. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

No issues on the concave end, usually see that on Speer, Blazer and CCI (I think), they'll most likely flatten out after a few cycles regardless. I believe that I read somewhere that it's due to one relatively un-important step being skipped in the manufacture, but I don't have the cite to prove that.

For the rest, can't help you there.

Reload safe.

3. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

those should work fine,just don't go any deeper with the bullet,to where u are crimping OVER the 'driving band'. Yu want to crimp onto it,not over the top of it.

4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

warren, I wouldn't worry about the concave back end, as long as it's no so deep that the firing pin can't reach the primer, it's not an issue.

As far as seating, one thing you need to check is whether the throat on your gun is tight, if it is having that lead stick out too far can snag and prevent the gun from coming all the way into battery. It looks like you're fine where you are, but it is something to watch out for with that style of bullet.

5. warren57

warren57 Denver, Colorado New Member

Just checked and so far all the brass in question are CCI...

6. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

CCI seems to be the one I see most. I kind of use the "concave" head to tell me that I'm picking up once fired brass. When I'm done loading and firing it it's absolutely flat. I don't like powder-puff loads in my pistol. :)