JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up at a gun show a while ago some .458 250 gr lead bullets for the 45/70.... they where cheap, and I figured they could be cheap plinking rounds.
my problem is, I can't find any load data for a 250 gr lead slug. I'm almost thinking these are for something else?
They all measure out at 0.458, and weight is all mostly right at 250. Gr.

New to the 45-70, all I've ever reloaded for was 44 mag.

Any help?

uploadfromtaptalk1412050437740.jpg

Picked up at a gun show a while ago some .458 250 gr lead bullets for the 45/70.... they where cheap, and I figured they could be cheap plinking rounds.
my problem is, I can't find any load data for a 250 gr lead slug. I'm almost thinking these are for something else?
They all measure out at 0.458, and weight is all mostly right at 250. Gr.

New to the 45-70, all I've ever reloaded for was 44 mag.

Any help?

Going to lubrisize them?

If you want to plink with that 45/70, it's a big case, so pick a powder that will fill it over half way. Try Lyman's Book of Cast Bullets. Remember, "Trap Doors" use a lighter load than the newer lever guns.
For garage shooting, the "Quick Draw" .45 wax bullets and a primer are accurate and a lot of fun. :p

If you want to plink with that 45/70, it's a big case, so pick a powder that will fill it over half way. Try Lyman's Book of Cast Bullets. Remember, "Trap Doors" use a lighter load than the newer lever guns.
For garage shooting, the "Quick Draw" .45 wax bullets and a primer are accurate and a lot of fun. :p

Thanks, next time I'm in town I'll look for that book.

They do look like revolver bullets. That being said, Freedom Arms, the guys who make the 454 Casull, also made a 45-70 revolver at some point. I would say call Western Powders, the current distributor of Accurate powders. They would perhaps help with a load for a cast lead bullet with Accurate 5744. I shoot BPCR and have a 45-70 HiWall. Like I said, no big deal to just get 100% load density with Black Powder, put in a wad, seat the bullet, and squeeze it off. I don't know how hard these bullets are, and you definitely have to lube them before loading. Not gas checked, so keep the velocity to around 1200-1300 fps, even with smokeless powder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top