Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.44mag vs. .45LC

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Douglas, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Douglas

Douglas Oregon Active Member

I'm interested in picking up a new revolver soon, in either .44mag or .45LC. I reload so ammo availability is only a minor consideration. I'd like a little input before I buy, what do y'all think? Makes? Models?

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Some more info / background would help.

3. Douglas

Douglas Oregon Active Member

Looking for a good camp/fun to shoot pistol. I only have autos so my revolved knowledge is limited. Just looking for a point in the right direction.

4. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

depends on what you mean by fun?
    and what 45 colt you are looking at
    i have an old ruger that can handle the +p loads
    or that is to say i can load it as hot if not hoter then a 44 mag so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Ruger Blackhawk in .45lc/.45acp. will shoot +p loads, last forever, and is a blast to shoot. Unless you have the hands of a large bear the .44 magnum may not be that much "fun" to shoot much.

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The 44 would be a good choice in a double action but I prefer the 45lc in a single action. I have a vaquero and a new model blackhawk which both can handle the 300gr heavy loads or I can just make up plinking loads that dont kill the wrist. Dont get me wrong I do have 44 mag and 357 singles too but prefer the 45.

7. vico512

vico512 Seattle area Member

The advantage of the .44 Mag is its versatility. If you reload, you can shoot anything from "heavy" magnum loads down to .44 Spl light-shooters for plinking & target, as well as cowboy action loads.

Most of my shooting is with Trail Boss, at around 850 fps, and I carry the Buffalo Bore Heavy stuff when out in critter country.

8. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

I've recently got into reloading with trail boss for .38spl and .357mag. Very nice for plinking, and I could powder measure the stuff half asleep without fear of a double charge.

I know it makes smaller holes in the paper, but in the .38 cal range you can make ammo for many purposes.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The 45lc is a formidable caliber,nice to shoot,but the cowboys buy up all the ammo sometimes,making it hard to find.Or there isn't enough made
    It will kill most NA game at a close range,but falls off fast.I suppose you could reload some hot stuff,but most guns in that caliber aren't made for real heavy loads.

On the other hand,the 44mag is a beast.Though I don't necessarily enjoy shooting it,I do have one for a tool. For killing things if necessary.Not for plinking and the enjoyment of 'recoil' (some like big recoil)
    It will kill most NA game at a much longer range than a 45lc,but it is still a handgun cartridge.
    Lots of great loads and variances and you can shoot 44special in the revolvers.
    If you buy a Super blackhawk,Redhawk and a couple other brands (that seem to have left me) you can pump it up some and not worry.

Between the two I would do the 44mag every time.
    I would probably do the 357mag before the 45lc

10. wired

wired Yakima Well-Known Member

Between the two I would take a 45 LC over the 44 magnum any day. The Blackhawks, Old Vaquero's and Redhawks will take loads for the 45 LC that make the 44 mag hang its head down in shame. Reloading the 45 LC is cheap and easy.

11. 66goat

66goat Oregon, Hillsboro Member

I have a 44mag Super Redhawk 9.5 in barrel and a 45LC blackhawk 5 5/8 barrel.

I have shot the 44 mag in a blackhawk is a little more to handle due to the smaller grip, however I wouldn't complain if the wife got me one for x-mas either :) I have also shot the 44 in a Redhawk with the 7 or 7.5", can't remeber for sure, it was not to bad to shoot.

It sounds like you will be reloading which is a must for the 45LC as ammo is a bit harder to find and when you do it is expensive. Last box I saw was at Fred Meyer and they wanted $43 for it. I can reload the 45LC for under $15 a box. If you want light plinking loads use trail boss...a can of it will go a long way. If you go with the Ruger or TC in 45LC you can load hot and most reloading manuals will have a section dedicated to the Ruger and TC. With the hot loads you are in the same ballpark of a 44 mag. In my opinion the 45LC is often overlooked, however when you look at load data for +P the old cartirdge (orginally designed for black powder) can hold it's own with the more modern calibers.

I also have have made some nice plinking loads in the 44 mag and heavy stuff using h110. One thing I have found is the 180gr factory stuff has a very sharp/snappy recoil which is to be expected for a 180gr traveling 1800fps. If you reload you can load for the occasion.

Not sure if this helps but either way you will likely be happy as they are both great cartidges

Matt

12. saxon

just went shooting with my brother in law
    shot his 44 mag with hornady 240 grn personl defence
    and my 250 grn loaded to 1050 fps
    and two things
    the 44 mag has more recoil and more wrist flip
    the colt les wrist flip but at the angle of the trigger more force
    recoil with the finger involved so in short 44 mag your wrist can end up hurting
    with mag loads
    45 colt Old Vaquero your finger will hurt after a while
    my 2 bits

13. wired

Ive got some 325 grain 1350 fps 45 colt loads. You remember shooting those through an old vaquero with the factory grips!

14. saxon

lol i have some cast perfomance 255 grn that are real flame throwers lol

15. mjbskwim

That's kinda funny,I mean you can pump the 44mag up too and the SUPER blackhawk is a lot stronger frame than the regular blackhawk

:confused:

But you reload so you know this.:thumbup:

16. wired

Sort of. You have less case volume in the 44 mag. Less case size = less powder potential especially with the heavy bullets that sit very far into the more slender 44 mag case. Even with the commercially available Buffalo Bore loads they hit a plateau at about 300 grains at 1300 fps where the 45 colt will be pushing 1325fps with a heavier bullet. Ive chronographed 1410 fps loads with a 325 grain gas check hard cast bullets with no signs of over pressure on the primers with a 45 colt in a 4 3/4 inch Vaquero. Thats a hot load. Ive never heard of that sort of performance out of a 44 mag.

17. 66goat

66goat Oregon, Hillsboro Member

One other option is to with a 454 casull. You can shoot light 45lc cowboy loads, heavy 45lc loads and down right hostile 454 loads.

18. mjbskwim

Yeah yeah yeah.I knew as soon as I hit submit that You smart reload guys would let me know.
    I kinda wondered if this was the case too.

I know Ruger make some hard *** guns,so is the Blackhawk able to withstand the pressures,or do you need to use the 454 cylinders?
    The 5 shot cylinder

19. wired

The blackhawks will just about handle anything that will fit in the case. Its a robust design. Once you get into Casull land thats a whole world I know nothing about.

20. 009

009 Jellystone road sw Member

are their/wer casull avail. in blackhawk? i know they are made in redhawk. freedom arms made/makes the ultimate. however: $$$$.