JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just sold a Marlin 1895 (long barrel) in .45-70

I had bought it about 4 or 5 years ago with the idea that eventually I would have the barrel cut down, or preferably a short stainless octagon barrel put on it (I grew up with an octagon barreled Win '94 that is still in the family).

I am not a huge fan of handgun cartridge chambered rifles - I figure if you are going to carry the weight of a rifle, then it should be chambered for a rifle cartridge and the whole thing of having the same ammo for handgun and rifle is of limited usefulness.

However, it still appeals to me. I have a S&W 329 PD that I like, although it is a pain to shoot, I like carrying it because it is so light and it is versatile.

I would like a stainless lever gun, preferably a Marlin 336, that could shoot .44 Mag, but also something more powerful. Yesterday I was looking at T/C Contender barrels and came across the fact that SSK makes various lever action conversions for their JDJ cartridges, and they also make a .414 SuperMag and a .45-70 Whisper Marlin 336:

http://sskindustries.com/lever-guns/

I am familiar with the SuperMags, but not in rifles.

I am wondering if they would work well enough from an 18" barrel (about as long as I want to go) to make it worth carrying it in a rifle. I noticed that Rossi makes or used to make a lever action in .454 Casull and that it reportedly approached .45-70 ballistics (with light bullets, not the heavier ones), which got me to thinking about the .445 SuperMag.

I have never heard of the .45-70 Whisper and can't find much info on it. I assume it is based on the .45-70, but I don't whether it is a cut down .45-70, just downloaded or what. Anybody have any details?

I'd be tempted on a .44 mag carbine/rifle.. they actually hit pretty hard.. especially out of a long gun.
It's kinda like the same deal as having a .22lr handgun and then a .22lr rifle.. but more so.
You'd probably get 10x more fun and actual practical utility with the .44 over the .45-70 or such.

I heard the that the Rossi .454 was shooting itself apart so they stopped. The lever action could not handle the really high pressures. I wanted one for a while and looked into it. I can load my Rossi 92 .357 to 30-30 levels of ballistics. Love that gun.

I heard the that the Rossi .454 was shooting itself apart so they stopped. The lever action could not handle the really high pressures. I wanted one for a while and looked into it. I can load my Rossi 92 .357 to 30-30 levels of ballistics. Love that gun.

Actually there were rumors about Rossi .454 having problems, but they were just rumors and have turned out to be not true. Rossi still makes a model 92 in .454 and it can be purchased in a number of different configurations/barrel lengths/stainless/blued... Lots of fells reload for the 454 and are getting ballistics that approach the 45-70. Not bad in a carbine that holds 11 rounds. I have a Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger that is now discontinued due to low demand, but I really like it and reload all my own. My favorite load uses a 380 grain Ranch Dog bullet.

Actually there were rumors about Rossi .454 having problems, but they were just rumors and have turned out to be not true. Rossi still makes a model 92 in .454 and it can be purchased in a number of different configurations/barrel lengths/stainless/blued... Lots of fells reload for the 454 and are getting ballistics that approach the 45-70. Not bad in a carbine that holds 11 rounds. I have a Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger that is now discontinued due to low demand, but I really like it and reload all my own. My favorite load uses a 380 grain Ranch Dog bullet.

Interesting, I will have to look back into it. .454 is an great round.

My Marlin 1894 in .44mag hits hard and is flat shooting out to 120yds or so.

Not that I don't want another .45/70, but the .44mag is sure a nice light handy gun.

Thinking about having it chopped to 16.5" in the near future:D

c6ad91ae-01a5-4a1e-b214-a302bd098eba_zps7c19f2fc.jpg

For a 44 Mag lever gun, I'd be another to suggest the Marlin 1894. I had one in 41 Mag a few years ago that was a neat little rifle. I bought it to go with my Ruger Blackhawk. Really liked it, but like stated earlier, that much size weight, I'd much rather be packing a 30-30.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top