Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.445 SuperMag or .45-70 Whisper in lever action (Marlin 336)?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by The Heretic, Jun 22, 2014.

1. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I just sold a Marlin 1895 (long barrel) in .45-70

I had bought it about 4 or 5 years ago with the idea that eventually I would have the barrel cut down, or preferably a short stainless octagon barrel put on it (I grew up with an octagon barreled Win '94 that is still in the family).

I am not a huge fan of handgun cartridge chambered rifles - I figure if you are going to carry the weight of a rifle, then it should be chambered for a rifle cartridge and the whole thing of having the same ammo for handgun and rifle is of limited usefulness.

However, it still appeals to me. I have a S&W 329 PD that I like, although it is a pain to shoot, I like carrying it because it is so light and it is versatile.

I would like a stainless lever gun, preferably a Marlin 336, that could shoot .44 Mag, but also something more powerful. Yesterday I was looking at T/C Contender barrels and came across the fact that SSK makes various lever action conversions for their JDJ cartridges, and they also make a .414 SuperMag and a .45-70 Whisper Marlin 336:

http://sskindustries.com/lever-guns/

I am familiar with the SuperMags, but not in rifles.

I am wondering if they would work well enough from an 18" barrel (about as long as I want to go) to make it worth carrying it in a rifle. I noticed that Rossi makes or used to make a lever action in .454 Casull and that it reportedly approached .45-70 ballistics (with light bullets, not the heavier ones), which got me to thinking about the .445 SuperMag.

I have never heard of the .45-70 Whisper and can't find much info on it. I assume it is based on the .45-70, but I don't whether it is a cut down .45-70, just downloaded or what. Anybody have any details?

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted on a .44 mag carbine/rifle.. they actually hit pretty hard.. especially out of a long gun.
    It's kinda like the same deal as having a .22lr handgun and then a .22lr rifle.. but more so.
    You'd probably get 10x more fun and actual practical utility with the .44 over the .45-70 or such.

3. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I heard the that the Rossi .454 was shooting itself apart so they stopped. The lever action could not handle the really high pressures. I wanted one for a while and looked into it. I can load my Rossi 92 .357 to 30-30 levels of ballistics. Love that gun.

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Actually there were rumors about Rossi .454 having problems, but they were just rumors and have turned out to be not true. Rossi still makes a model 92 in .454 and it can be purchased in a number of different configurations/barrel lengths/stainless/blued... Lots of fells reload for the 454 and are getting ballistics that approach the 45-70. Not bad in a carbine that holds 11 rounds. I have a Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger that is now discontinued due to low demand, but I really like it and reload all my own. My favorite load uses a 380 grain Ranch Dog bullet.

5. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Interesting, I will have to look back into it. .454 is an great round.

6. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

7. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

My Marlin 1894 in .44mag hits hard and is flat shooting out to 120yds or so.

Not that I don't want another .45/70, but the .44mag is sure a nice light handy gun.

Thinking about having it chopped to 16.5" in the near future:D

c6ad91ae-01a5-4a1e-b214-a302bd098eba_zps7c19f2fc.jpg

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For a 44 Mag lever gun, I'd be another to suggest the Marlin 1894. I had one in 41 Mag a few years ago that was a neat little rifle. I bought it to go with my Ruger Blackhawk. Really liked it, but like stated earlier, that much size weight, I'd much rather be packing a 30-30.