JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mark's recommendation to reload for it perhaps hinges on two reasons (one of which jonn alluded to). Factory ammo is spendy. BUT: this is not what I would call a "recreational firearm", in that it is more of a "get down to business" hunting rifle, and not something you plink with. Reason number two is that with better bullets than generally available in factory loads, this is a VERY respectable cartridge, and may be the ideal cartridge for your stated purposes: bear and elk on the West Coast. Carrying one, I certainly would NOT limit my shots to 150 yards, especially with optics. 300 grain bullets of stout construction will be best for that work. Early factory loadings (and still some offered) rely on bullets more suitable for pistol application, and may not penetrate very well at the velocities produced by the .444. These are better deer loads.

On the reverse side, if you do choose to plink with it, reloading can deliver very economical ammo for that purpose, shooting jacketed and cast bullets as suitable for the .44 Magnum. This access to pistol bullets is what makes the .444 a more versatile cartridge than the .45-70 for its afficionados. No owner I have spoken to is anything less than surprised about accuracy, either.

A buddy in Montana bought one, and I helped him load for it, and he simply loves it. Now (even though I have a Guide Gun in .45-70) I want one.

One of my hunting buds bought one in the mid 70s. I've seen him shoot plenty of deer in the Coastal Range. He usually harvested with one shot and they are DRT. He is mighty disciplined and well practiced and this makes the difference. He only used iron sights and limited himself to 200 yards and closer.

Well. So much for my skills in being discreet.:)

And, since herman took the direct approach, at this point it would not be impolite to ask if you'd tell (us) what you end up paying for it (since we're both motivated shoppers).

Expect to pay $50-$60 for 20 rounds of premium hunting ammo (Buffalo Bore or Corbon) 280-305 grain ammo.

Expect to pay $32-$38 for 20 rounds of standard Remington or Hornady 240-245 grain ammo.

P1030365.jpg

just thought id put my 2 cents in if any one is still looking economical 444 hr handi riffle 309.00 single shot and heavy add a limbsaver pad and not bad to shoot

A buddy of mine shot a deer with my 444 Marlin some years ago; he caught the buck in the left rear hunch at about 50 yards; the bullet stove piped the femur bone, lifting that deer about eight feet into the air twisting it's body into a very strange 360 degree summersault. Once the buck hit the ground we saw that his left rear leg was completely blown off the bone and was only being held on by one tendon. The second shot removed the head.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top