JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking the next handgun I buy is gunna be a .44 mag in stainless. I know S&W make sone nice ones and I've seen Rugers (kinda ugly to me) and I don't want a Taurus. What do you guys recommend? I'd like a 4" but if 6" is substantially better, I'm not really aginst it. Mainly want it for a hunting sidearm and a big old HD handgun (I know it's not a very good choice). I'll never be putting a scope on it or anything...I saw a Ruger "backpacker" I think it was, or maybe "Alaskan" that i kinda liked... I really like the look of the full lug barrels...

It all comes down to personal preference. I recommend shooting several. I have an S&W 629 Classic 5" that I carry when muzzle loader elk hunting or hiking, and shoot reduced-velocity loads when on the range. The .44 is incredibly versatile.

I also like the Redhawk, but prefer to carry the S&W. After you shoot a few, can can better judge what floats your boat...

i have a super redhawk its perhaps one of my favorite guns silmply becuase I can vary the loads i put in it.

cool cartridge lots of bang lots of power - but heavy as you would expect this gun to be.

the 629 S&W is an awsome weapon,if i were going to get one, thats what i'd get.but i might also get the colt anaconda. the ruger is not bad either but the cylinders are always sloppy.personally every colt ive owned was like swiss watch,but they are spendy.

M. Link...
I shoot both a S&W 629 5 in. and a couple Super Blackhawks, old model and new model.
Even with porting the S&W is a lot more uncomfortable with full loads.
The Rugers do have longer barrels thou'.
If a bear was after me I wouldent notice the difference!!!
Get what you like.
ace

Like the Smith model 19 in 357 the 29 was not real good at takeing a pounding with full house loads. There have been many design changes to help but the early one the cylinder would even fly open with full house loads.

Some people just shoot specials to practice and carry full house loads. I suspect that a Ruger Redhawk would hold up much better. I have owned a few 29s and the short barrel ones hurt my hands to shoot full power very much. I went to a mountain gun in 45acp-autorim.

Still got a 29 though just to wrestle with when I feel the need.:s0112:

jj

I like my Ruger Alaskan in 44mag. Short tube will hit too as long as I do my part :) I really like it as I can run full power loads in the woods or throw in some lighter 44mag or 44special rounds for "downtown". It's still got some weight to it but the smaller size makes it easy to carry and conceal.

I really like the S&W 629 with a 5" barrel on it - nice balance, long enough barrel to keep some of the boom away from you.

I've been eyeing-up either a Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk in 5". From what I've read, either gun will take a beating. Just not sure how much of a beating they'd deal to my hand. Blackhawks have the classic, single-action beauty to them; not sure I feel the same way about the Redhawk's looks, but it's functional.

A friend has a Blackhawk in .41 Mag (6.5" barrel, I think) - it's a nice shooting gun. Just not as much selection in ammo (if you are buying commercial).

My favorite .44mag is the Colt Anaconda.

Anoconda4.jpg

My next choice would be the S&W m629.

SWm629-1.jpg

That Colt is exactly what I would love to have....but I don't have $1000+ (I don't know how much they are but I'd guess well over a grand). Thanks for the input.

The 329 PD actually hurts less than a 4 inch 629. I've fired both with Hogue grips and the 329 PD is less hurtful with 240 gr loads. If you are going to carry something stronger than those I would think you would want something a bit heftier. Here is a vid of me firing 2 .44 Specials then 2 44 Magnum 240 gr.

th_329pdscandiumrevolver.jpg

I have 629's in 4", 6" and 8 3/8" models. I prefer the 6" for all around use. I've hunted and punched paper with them all. I like the way the Smith's naturally point for me and I'm also quite sure they will take all you want to shoot.

I got my 4 inch Anaconda for $550 3 years ago. I may very well have got a steal, but I am pretty sure you could find one for just a little bit more then what you will pay for a 629.

I wish I would have got the 6 inch though that I had seen about 6 months earlier for $700...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top