JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, there are a couple of .44 Magnums in the current battery:

cuarenta y cuatro.jpg

One a bolt-action, the other a lever. The former will be run with a big-bore silencer once the feds approve said. Based upon current time lines, maybe two or three more months.

Any recommendations on loads to ring out performance from a carbine? How about running suppressed? (Pewing .44 Specials through that setup will be interesting, but I digress.)

Thanks. :s0155:

For subsonic loads hand loading is going to be your best bet.
For good carbine loads I'd look for some 180 grain or lighter loaded on the hotter side, that said good loads catered to your rifle are probably best going to be reloads.

Keep in mind you'll gain about 300fps give or take shooting magnum loads out of a carbine vs. a revolver. I had a Winchester 94 in .44 mag for a while, it did great with jacketed loads but would lead pretty bad the first 4-5 inches of the bore with 300gr LBT hardcast gas checked handloads.

congrats on getting one of the IQ Munitions door stop/elevator counter balance/10-round magazines before they ran out. :) those things are built like a tank!

You need to be very careful about using pistol powder to make subsonic loads especially if they aren't listed in a manual. If the case is big enough, air detonation can occur and the breech will come apart violently. Trail Boss is the safest option outside a manual... I just load to 44 special manual specs since that's usually subsonic.

congrats on getting one of the IQ Munitions door stop/elevator counter balance/10-round magazines before they ran out. :) those things are built like a tank!

We've got a couple of them. Indeed, they could be used as blunt instrument. More importantly, however, they work in the 77/44. And I'm very tempted by a Deerfield, which would the threaded in short order once acquired, but I digress.

Whoa, I love this site. Was not familiar with IQ munitions. Now on their email list for my Deerfield. I was happy when I found it that it came with three magazines. Now I can be happier.

You need to be very careful about using pistol powder to make subsonic loads especially if they aren't listed in a manual. If the case is big enough, air detonation can occur and the breech will come apart violently. Trail Boss is the safest option outside a manual... I just load to 44 special manual specs since that's usually subsonic.
Yeah,, I've read about "detonation" many times.
That said, I've shot multiple hundreds of rounds of .44Mag in Cowboy shooting that were less than 7grs of Unique,, if I told you the load you might have a heart attack.
But yeah, Trail Boss is a better choice.

I run W-231 in my subsonic loads, speer 270 gr seem to shoot the best out past 50 yrds , but at 50 yrds even the 320 gr shoot good enough for hunting.
DCLI0H8.jpg

Hornady book #10 has a page on 44 Remington Magnum Rifle.

Here's the data for H110 which is a spectacular powder in my 23in Contender 44mag barrel.

Using a 240gr bullet, Min load 19.4 gr. @ 1400 FPS to Max load 24.8 gr. @ 1800 FPS.

For subsonic, you need a 300 gr bullet and 11.4 gr of H110 for 1000 FPS.

Subsonic ammo needs to be under 1126 FPS. Since elevation affects velocity, plan ahead...

. Hornady 300gr 44mag.jpg

Last Edited:
Hornady book #10 has a page on 44 Remington Magnum Rifle.

Here's the data for H110 which is a spectacular powder in my 23in Contender 44mag barrel.

Using a 240gr bullet, Min load 19.4 gr. @ 1400 FPS to Max load 24.8 gr. @ 1800 FPS.

For subsonic, you need a 300 gr bullet and 11.4 gr of H110 for 1000 FPS.

Subsonic ammo needs to be under 1126 FPS. Since elevation affect velocity, plan ahead...

I would be very carful using H110 for subs it's for full house loads mostly and you can get in trouble under loading it. A quick google search should show.

I would use trail boss,2400 or unique anything that's used for cast lead rounds you should be good. I would probably just use jacketed bullets as I don't Know if you would get leading in the can. I know you can slug your barrel to get the right size bullets so it doesn't lead. Also you need to look at your twist rate to see how heavy you should shoot to keep it from tumbling.

Just before covid, I had stocked up on Trailboss so I could generate loads for the SIlent Destroyer. I'll use up my lighter bullets first...yet keeping an eye out for heavier ones right now. It's a big brother sibling to the 7" Redhawk

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top