JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mrs tac's favourite wheelgun....

1565858606872.png

Bought by a club member back in 1981 as a FIRST handgun, I bought it in 1992 with a box of 18 cartridges. Seems he'd touched one off, single-handed, and instantly put another through the wriggly tin roof. And never fired it again.

The reason seems to me to have been perfectly obvious - the box was clearly marked '300gr solid... for use in Thompson Contender/Ruger No1 only'.

I did buy a box of 305 grain Buffalo Bore Hardcast Bear loads in case I ever get into large bear country. They sting even in my Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch. Not a good range load and not recommended for S&Ws.

Mrs tac's favourite wheelgun....

View attachment 608811

Bought by a club member back in 1981 as a FIRST handgun, I bought it in 1992 with a box of 18 cartridges. Seems he'd touched one off, single-handed, and instantly put another through the wriggly tin roof. And never fired it again.

The reason seems to me to have been perfectly obvious - the box was clearly marked '300gr solid... for use in Thompson Contender/Ruger No1 only'.
tac;

That VERY fine piece of Smith and Wesson Hardware would be Much More Properly Dressed if it had a Set of Pachmayr SN-S Rubber Pants. I'm not saying that the Pachmayrs are the Only ones that should be fitted. But, IMHO, the Model 29 really needs something, that is unless the ONLY purpose it's going to be used for us Single Action Target Shooting!

The Fine Folks at Hogue also make some very find Grips!

KKG

tac;

That VERY fine piece of Smith and Wesson Hardware would be Much More Properly Dressed if it had a Set of Pachmayr SN-S Rubber Pants. I'm not saying that the Pachmayrs are the Only ones that should be fitted. But, IMHO, the Model 29 really needs something, that is unless the ONLY purpose it's going to be used for us Single Action Target Shooting!

The Fine Folks at Hogue also make some very find Grips!

KKG

Twenty years too late, friend. It was deactivated so that I could keep it. :(

I did buy a box of 305 grain Buffalo Bore Hardcast Bear loads in case I ever get into large bear country. They sting even in my Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch. Not a good range load and not recommended for S&Ws.

I've seen those at a local Sportsman's and thought of picking up a box "just because", though the one I saw was pricy. If, however, they aren't safe in the S&W, then I'll avoid it. Would these heavier loads be fine in a lever-action carbine?

Twenty years too late, friend. It was deactivated so that I could keep it. :(

Gah. Destroying such a fine revolver is nothing short of outrageous. A pox upon the politicians who crafted such a law. :(

About the Buffalo Bore 305grs. Loadings. Personally, I stay away because even though I have Both a Marlin Carbine & a Rifle I Only carry Smith and Wesson Model 29s and don't want to make a mistake. I also one a couple different Rugers and don't want to do possible damage to the Early Deerslayer. The Ruger 96/44 & 77/44 Rifles I would not worry about.

I've seen those at a local Sportsman's and thought of picking up a box "just because", though the one I saw was pricy. If, however, they aren't safe in the S&W, then I'll avoid it. Would these heavier loads be fine in a lever-action carbine?

Gah. Destroying such a fine revolver is nothing short of outrageous. A pox upon the politicians who crafted such a law. :(
Buffalo Bore lists what guns their ammo is safe for. They now say that the 305 grain is safe for S&W made after 1989, but only safe for Winchester and Marlin 1894s as far as rifles. When I bought mine, S&Ws were specifically called out. I am not sure what changed.

Buffalo Bore lists what guns their ammo is safe for. They now say that the 305 grain is safe for S&W made after 1989, but only safe for Winchester and Marlin 1894s as far as rifles. When I bought mine, S&Ws were specifically called out. I am not sure what changed.
The later Smith and Wesson Model 29s are what changes and IMHO not for the BETTER!!!

There are two schools of thoughts, one is deep penetration and hit the spine from any angle and the other is transfer all the energy while not over penetrating. For the first scenario a big heavy hardcast is the ticket and I use a 300gr truncated cone at 1300fps out of my 7 1/2" redhawk. This is what I carry in the woods both for hunting and for protection. For the second scenario, a good JHP like Gold dot, XTP's and the like are all good. There are other bullets that are interesting but I have no experience with like the offerings by Lehigh that show promise as a good compromise.

tac; That's the pits. Do you have any in this Country? KKG

Now YOU know and I KNOW that I'm a furrin' national, and cannot legally own any kind of a firearm in the USA unless I have residency. However, I'm blessed by having friends in the USA who graciously allow me to shoot their guns of a kind that closely resemble many that I lost in the Great Betrayal.

OMG....I just had a bad flashback. About the usage of a .44 Mag..….

>> July 17, 1992: Sgt. Glenn "Jake" Jicha was wounded in the abdomen in a shootout when he and a half-dozen officers from the Wahiawa Crime Reduction Unit were serving a search warrant in a drug investigation. Jicha and his unit raided a Sunset Beach home, and police said Manuel Alvarez Hyde, 28, shot Jicha with a .44-caliber revolver. Jicha and another officer returned fire and killed Hyde.

Gladly.....Sgt. Jicha recovered. And later, returned to duty.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
200gr Gold Dot 44spl because it is adequate for the threats mentioned and is reasonable on recoil for fast follow up shots. Gold dot is know for good weight retention, penetration and expansion at modest velocities.
^^ This

Winchester has made a similar .44 special load with 200 grain 'silvertips' for decades. About equivalent to 200-230 gr .45 ACP loads. Both IMO are quite adequate for self-defense against humans and any animal a person would encounter in Oregon.

More powerful loads could be used if one were to go were larger more robust and more dangerous animals might be encountered.

OMG....I just had a bad flashback. About the usage of a .44 Mag..….

>> July 17, 1992: Sgt. Glenn "Jake" Jicha was wounded in the abdomen in a shootout when he and a half-dozen officers from the Wahiawa Crime Reduction Unit were serving a search warrant in a drug investigation. Jicha and his unit raided a Sunset Beach home, and police said Manuel Alvarez Hyde, 28, shot Jicha with a .44-caliber revolver. Jicha and another officer returned fire and killed Hyde.

Gladly.....Sgt. Jicha recovered. And later, returned to duty.

Aloha, Mark

Location, location, location

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews