JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the info, have not gotten into the reload aspect yet but I will note that bit of info for future reference and you are correct...I have shot boxes and boxes through mine and it seems as new as the day I bought it...

If I was strolling through Griz country, No HAND gun would be my bear gun.maybe something like a marlin guide gun, in 45/70 shooting a heavy hard cast load.

Amen on that for Grizzly Bears. if not the above, then a 12 ga. 870, mag tube ext., with a slug barrel, loaded with slug after slug after slug.

Only thing a pistol woulld be good for, would be to shoot yourself, before the grizzly started eating you.

I am sure most of you have seen this, but I love it. :s0114:

pic153531.jpg

I am not sure why you purchased the "ALASKAN" but myself I use it in my wide variety of personal defense concealed carry weapons, and found that TED BLOCKER HOLSTERS of Tigard makes a great high-ride holster that fits the weight and gives you the feeling of "IT" almost not being there...and in the last year that I have owned this great weapon I myself have found that Fed. Premium 240 Gr. Hydro-Shok Ammo at 1350 FPS. to be the best ammunition for those downtown "Portland" undesirable "types", but to each their own and personal preferance. Good luck and good "Hunting".

u might have the wrong idea of why i purchased a 44 mag i wont be hunting anyone and theres no one undesirable in portland, just people of different walks of life.

Taurus is very hit and miss with their QC and CS, they CAN make a good revolver, but don't always.
A nice used S@W N frame .44 will run in the $500 range and a good Ruger SBH/BH .44 will be in the high $300 to low $400 range.

Newer S@W .44's (dash-4 and newer) are pretty strong with good factory ammo, the Rugers are stronger, but bigger too.

I like my 3" 629. It's a cannon and hurts to shoot with some loads, but it's a real deal.

to be the best ammunition for those downtown "Portland" undesirable "types", but to each their own and personal preferance. Good luck and good "Hunting".

u might have the wrong idea of why i purchased a 44 mag i wont be hunting anyone and theres no one undesirable in portland, just people of different walks of life.

God created everyone equal, and He loves us all equally. However, the criminal has chosen to make himself undesireable. Tell me you don't check to see if your doors are locked, and re-making a mental note of where your weaponry is when you see a group of gang-bangers.

To stay on topic, my favorite .44 is the 629 6.5"!

Of all of the guns mentioned, Ruger is the easiest to maintain. I believe a monkey could learn to disassemble and reassemble them. Easy to replace parts if ever neccessary. And, anything made by man can break! I LIKE RUGER!

I like the Taurus tracker .44 mag. I put 100rds through one. I sold it to a co-worker, he put 200 rds throught it. we both thought it was a great gun. Lightweight. Packable. Muzzle brake. No complaints!

Whatever handgun you buy, consider buying a rifle in the same caliber. They will go together like ham and eggs. There are situations where having a carbine and revolver in the same caliber is desireable. According to Mel Tappan (in his book "Survival Guns") the 44 Mag from a rifle is equal to the 30-30 for 150 yards or so (probably even better using Hornady "Flex Tip" cartridges).

Great suggestion dario541! Having a pistol and rifle in the same caliber it a great idea. If you reload you can even load light loads (or shoot 44 Spl) for practice in both units. That way you can get lots of practice without beating up the guns or yourself.

If you decide to get a rifle in .44 too, get yourself a ruger carbine. I chronied some factory remington 180gr ammo with it the other day, and it was just a little under 2200fps. As long as you don't need to shoot really long distances, these are some of the funnest, fastest handling, and most reliable little rifles you can get. Just like a 10/22, but with some serious knockdown behind it.

If you decide to get a rifle in .44 too, get yourself a ruger carbine. I chronied some factory remington 180gr ammo with it the other day, and it was just a little under 2200fps. As long as you don't need to shoot really long distances, these are some of the funnest, fastest handling, and most reliable little rifles you can get. Just like a 10/22, but with some serious knockdown behind it.

I see that Ruger does not offer a semi-auto .44 magnum carbine in their 2010 catalog. Was there a problem with that caused Ruger to stop making them?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top