JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
6 out of 50 cases split when seating the bullet into the case. Any idea what would cause this? Looked to be a very slight bulge on them about where the base of the bullet would be. 240grain XTP.
Who made the brass?
How many times has the brass been reloaded?
How hot?
How much flare (bell) are you putting on the case?

Perfect questions by Dizzy
Some companies brass seems to work better
Old brass splits (with some of mine at 10x getting more splits)
Spicy load will accelerate this
And the fine line between too much and not enough, especially with jacketed bullets (XTP)

Winchester brass. White box.
Once fired with lasercast lead bullets.
23.5 gr of H110.
Just enough flare to start the bullet.
So just once fired brass and it's cracking when trying to load up a bullet. I haven't used any Winchester revolver brass for quite some time. You're not too far from my 44mag load of 23.0gr H110 with a Nosler 240gr JSP.

What weight were the laser craft Bullets?

Bad brass.
Iv'e had new S&B brass split on the first firing.
Gotta say that really sucks if that's the case.

I've reloaded 41 mag brass probably 5-7 times or more without issue. Of course this was brass purchased almost three decades ago.

S&W 629 Classic. I have loaded and fired probably 500 rounds of the Lasercast hard cast lead bullets. And 100 rounds of the Hornady 180 gr XTP.
The split cases are the first time loading the 240 gr Hornady XTP.

Bad brass being brittle at the start. Since brass hardens as you work it, you've fired it (1), now you've realized it (2) and flaring it (3). These three motions with cheap hard brass can cause it to crack.

Being a betting man says more of this lot crack in the next 1 or 2 firings as you now expand it again upon firing (4), size (5) and flare (6) for bullet seating. As this is repeated again (7), (8), and (9) more may show their weakness.

Can it be saved? Sure, try and anneal to soften the mouth but if it's cracking from the little use you are giving it now is it worth having in your inventory? Maybe in today's economy a little annealing may be a good idea before you size them next go-round.

$.02
YMMV

Now I've got to check and see if my AMP annealer has an insert for 44 mag! Never thought I'd have to anneal straight walled pistol brass!

Now I've got to check and see if my AMP annealer has an insert for 44 mag! Never thought I'd have to anneal straight walled pistol brass!
It happens. I had a box of 20 federal 22-250 that only 10 cases survived after the first firing/loading cycle. Oddly the remaining 10 never split even after 5 loadings. It's really rare to get a bad batch especially in straight wall stuff but it does happen. Every once in awhile I'll get a fresh .38 case out of a new box that splits. At that low pressure go figure?

I've just finished up a couple 500 round lots of 38 special. These are ancient reloaded many times over the past decade or 2. The balance between brass brass & nickle brass was been nearly equal. Lost my count for sure, but the previous report of 'about 7 or 8' nickle to each brass split case stands. And mostly the nickle cases are splitting from about 1/3 length from rim clear to the mouth. The brass cases more usually are the mouth end by maybe 1/2".

These are mostly all loaded around the 1000-1100 fps range regards of powder or boolit weight. Mostly my boolits are in the 124-130 range, rarely 147-158.

Mixed in was an odd lot of a hundred-some 1980s era +P+ nickle cases. They rarely split.

Sounds like the cases were not properly annealed from the factory and the work hardening of bell and crimp is causing the splits. Try Starline brass it's good brass.

We go through a lot of 44 magnum and usually get at least 12-15 loads from it and most all was bought used. I shoot a cast and powder coated bullet that runs about 260 gr on top of 19+ Alliant 2400 Seems to be amazing lifespan out of generic range brass, mostly all shot out of super blackhawks with occasional 29 Smiths.

Bad brass.
Iv'e had new S&B brass split on the first firing.
It happens. I had a box of 20 federal 22-250 that only 10 cases survived after the first firing/loading cycle. Oddly the remaining 10 never split even after 5 loadings. It's really rare to get a bad batch especially in straight wall stuff but it does happen. Every once in awhile I'll get a fresh .38 case out of a new box that splits. At that low pressure go figure?
I picked up some feral 223 range brass out in the TIllamook. It was fresh, Federal brand, *every* neck was split.
I've only had pistol brass split from fatigue, and they get culled in my initial sorting.
Because I don't track the reload count on pistol brass, don't know how many times it had been reloaded.
I'd say, mic the WWB cases, mic other brands, compare to the projectiles you're reloading, and then, out of curiosity, anneal the remainder and see how they behave.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top