JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
50+ years of shooting, reloading and study= Ruger .44 Redhawk stainless. Have been using a 5.5 inch for the last decade or so. Reliable and sturdy, accurate for what I am using a revolver for, pretty easy to get ammo if necessary (I reload for it and other .44 mags). The stainless is a good touch when things get mucky or wet. Did I mention "sturdy"? They are that, in spades. They handle well like an extension of my hand in spite of their size/weight. The Blackhawk may be stronger, IDK, but I do like having the DA feature when I (want, need) it.. The Blackhawk .44 has my preference for #2 choice.
Another aspect is Ruger's policy of working with gun-owners if any repair work needs doing, have found them very helpful, to a fault. Not that I have had to return many to the factory, had to have them fix a mini-14 decades ago and can't remember what the problem was... I DO remember they fixed it free and sent it back.
Had a 629 4" for a time years ago. That one got passed around my shooting circle as no one liked or trusted it, the cylinder got shot a little bit loose. It felt good to shoot and was smaller to carry around than the Ruger but it simply did not like a diet of warm loads and wasnt all that accurate. It was a "Bangor Punta" Smith purchased (NOT by me!) at the height of the "Dirty Harry" craze.
Realistically, considering where I live and roam, a .357 serves my purposes, and I often carry a .45acp Glock anyways... Ruger is the way to go, IMO, IME...

I really like the Sig 44 special ammo out of my Model 69
The S&W 629 8 3/8" can break your wrist with full bore loads.
Assuming a revolver of about 50 oz, I found that I can shoot all .44sp and .44 mag up to about 1000 ft. lbs. enjoyably with one hand, either hand, and without shooting gloves. However, full power .44 mag loads at 1200 ft. lbs or a little above, are strictly two-hand shooting for me except in an emergency. Much too hard on my wrist if I shoot one handed. Hard enough so that I suspect that much shooting of such loads one-handed would likely do my wrist damage. And they sting my hands too. So with full power loads I practice with shooters gloves. (Actually just light cotton gloves.) There's much to be said for .44sp, even in full size .44s.

The .Sig 44sp load you mention is a hp that looks to be optimized for self defense against humans. For self defense against black bear, consider the Grizzlie 265 gr WFNGC. Thats wide flat nose gas check. 950fps. 521 ft. lbs. hardcast bullet, Brinell 18-21. Huge meplat. Can buy directly from Grizzly, a nw company. About $1/rd. Also carried by midway, and midway has a photo of bullets. For practice ammo check out Proficient Marksman, run by a NWFA member @oremike. Slightly less than 0.50/rd at local gun shows. Also available by mail.

In that class of 265gr WFNGC I'd use my 45 colt vaquero bisley with home cast 307gr wheelweight FNGC from a Hensley&Gibbs mold. Been so long ago I don't remember if it is 4 or 6 cavity? Gun feels good in my hand though. Don't want anything to do with bears even with any caliber.

I agree. I cant do better with a scoped handgun than unscoped unless there is some support. Sitting position with elbows on knees works and is a useful field position, though. (Especially if you carry a gardener's pad that lets you sit without getting a wet backside.) With freestanding position, what is accuracy-limiting for me is the shakiness of arms and body. Only with serious support is the shakiness reduced enough so that seeing the exact point of aim better is accuracy-limiting.

I agree and will go so far as to say that unless I had a rock solid support, it looked as if I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

In that class of 265gr WFNGC I'd use my 45 colt vaquero bisley with home cast 307gr wheelweight FNGC from a Hensley&Gibbs mold. Been so long ago I don't remember if it is 4 or 6 cavity? Gun feels good in my hand though. Don't want anything to do with bears even with any caliber.
A pistol on bears is a stop-gap measure really... While a .44 loaded with hardcast bullets CAN kill, Id much rather have a rifle handy when bears are on the agenda! :eek:

I have a Ruger Redhawk cica mid-1980's, 7.5 inch barrel and is very accurate. I don't shoot it much anymore, but did recently buy some Buffalo Bore. 305 grain bear load L.B.T.-L.F.N., around 1,400 fps/M.E. 1,327 ft lbs. I was going to get the 340 grain +P+, but chickened out. At 1,478 fps and close to 1,600 ft lbs, it scares me a little. Would be good in a strong lever action carbine. Energy and velocity is out of my Ruger.

I usually shoot PPU and Fiocchi 240 grain bullets, hp and flat nose. They seem to be a little hotter than most American made Winchester and Federal .Once in a while I shoot 240 grain lead SWC.

OldBroad44 thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry about my loads in my 629-4 classic. I only load 240 grain XTP or 240 grain cast bullets to about 1350 fps.
The 629-4s are my favorite 629s. They have the endurance package. They usually also have a replaceable front sight blade, which earlier guns dont. The peak of the 629s I think. The 629-5s represent a major redesign moving firing pin from hammer to frame and changing to cheaper MIM metal on some working parts. 629-6 marked another major redesign to add the unnecessary lock.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads