JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not know if cost is a factor and I think I mentioned this once before but Ruger sells a Super Blackhawk Hunter which is ready for scope. Fantastic piece for hunting and will handle any 44 +p+ loads.

I do not know if cost is a factor and I think I mentioned this once before but Ruger sells a Super Blackhawk Hunter which is ready for scope. Fantastic piece for hunting and will handle any 44 +p+ loads.
I was trying to stay around 800. I think I might wait a bit and see about getting the super redhawk.

.45LC is a great round obviously !
I have a 5.5 inch blackhawk, it is great fun, But Gary Reeder is building me a 5shot 454 Casull, on a Super black hawk frame, I will likely stick with Hot lc Loads, Around here there is little need for all that power !. But it nice to have if you need it !

I was trying to stay around 800. I think I might wait a bit and see about getting the super redhawk.
I always believe in buying a gun that can handle the hottest of what it is chambered for. Like buying a European made rifle that is proofed to the NATO equivalent even though roll marked for 223 or 308. The Super Redhawk can definitely handle that joy, whereas, the SW, not so much as steady diet. Many have stated the same info I just mentioned, so it must be true. The Super Redhawk should be available for less than $800 that you set aside for this, if you search well and are not in a hurry, it can be had. I bought my 454 Super Redhawk 7.5" new from gunbroker for $725, bidding of course.

Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag Leupold Var-X 2.5X8 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 849713860 (Early model. You may even be able to contact them and work out a deal.)

Nice Ruger Super Redhawk SS 44 Mag Revolver W Box - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 848595537 (Late model)

RUGER SUPER RED HAWK 44 MAG /W Scope 2x20 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 850582019 (This is a live auction)

For the ones with a starting price, contact the seller and ask if they will work outside of GB, this works best for both parties; I only do this if they are non-private sellers.

Now, I am tempted to get one in 44 mag.:D

If you go with a longer barrel the blast is removed farther from your face and ears. I have the 629 classic hunter with intergrated scope mounts, which is a rare bird; and it would be ok for deer with non +p loads, but if I were to purchase specific for hunting I'd go with the Super Redhawk 7.5 " in 44 or look seriously at the 460 for handgun hunting and a long barrel. If elk are a consideration or bear, maybe think seriously at a long barrel 454 or 460. Myself, personally, a single action revolver might be best for hunting than a double action. Maybe look at the Biggest Finest Revolver from Magnum Research in Minnesota?

The experience I've had over multiple 44 mag platforms, as well as a couple of small bore, is that *for me* addition of a handgun scope is a wasted effort. I've used 1.5/1.75/2.5 and 1~4x all with poor results. At least if off the bench and trying to hand hold, even with applied training & effort, the magnification of any degree simply made my jiggles & wobbles too great to ignore.

If I used a brace or sighting stick or a handy bench rest, yes, better accuracy. Assuming a Creedmore pistol position in the hunting field seemed ...well....awkward at best. I found certain iron sights helped me more than the telescopes did though, in practical terms.

Have yet to try a red dot on anything over normal range handgun game distances.
Good luck with your search.

My faves in orders of preference:

Colt Anaconda
Ruger Redhawk
S&W 629
S&W 69

I count selling the Colt among my most stupid decisions.

I still have the S&W 69 for woods carry.

Redhawk has the best double-action trigger IMO.

Anything Ruger. Will not be the most beautiful, the most precise, and maybe not even the most accurate. Will last a lifetime of shooting the heck out of it. There may be someone out there (Miculek?) who has worn a Ruger out, but I don't think so.

FWIW: I don't have one.

buffalo bore has a warning that some of their 44 mag ammo should not be fired in smith and wesson 44 magnums. BB intends for their 44 mag loads to be fired in certain revolvers. I'd respect that. I have both SW and Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag and there is no comparison that the Ruger is built like a tank. I only shoot standard remington 240 mag loads in my Smith 629.

As most have said, Rugers are about the toughest you'll find. I'm a big fan of the redhawks but blackhawks are nice as well. S&Ws are classy and mine have never given me trouble but I also know not to put the hot stuff through them. However my rugers have also all been cheaper than my smiths so I'd say they are also more affordable.

SW 629 was originally designed assuming lighter bullets such as 240 gr rather than heavier bullets. In addition in the earlier days with both .357 and .44 most people did most of their practice with lighter rather than full magnum loads. The 629-no-dash and 629-1 were found not to stand up well to a steady diet of magnum loads, and especially those with heavy bullets. SW introduced the endurance package modifications as of the 629-2 to allow for heavy use of full .44 mag loads, including heavy bullets. (The model 29s updated to the endurance package as of model 29-4. )

No SW revolver is designed to handle .44 mag +P, however. At all. .44 mag +Ps can be safely fired only in heavier guns such as the Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks and others explicitly named by the ammo manufacturer. A lot of the heavier .44 loads dont fit in a 629 because the cylinder is too short. But some do fit, and can blow up the gun. So beware.

Last Edited:
The experience I've had over multiple 44 mag platforms, as well as a couple of small bore, is that *for me* addition of a handgun scope is a wasted effort. I've used 1.5/1.75/2.5 and 1~4x all with poor results. At least if off the bench and trying to hand hold, even with applied training & effort, the magnification of any degree simply made my jiggles & wobbles too great to ignore.

If I used a brace or sighting stick or a handy bench rest, yes, better accuracy. Assuming a Creedmore pistol position in the hunting field seemed ...well....awkward at best. I found certain iron sights helped me more than the telescopes did though, in practical terms.

Have yet to try a red dot on anything over normal range handgun game distances.
Good luck with your search.
I agree. I cant do better with a scoped handgun than unscoped unless there is some support. Sitting position with elbows on knees works and is a useful field position, though. (Especially if you carry a gardener's pad that lets you sit without getting a wet backside.) With freestanding position, what is accuracy-limiting for me is the shakiness of arms and body. Only with serious support is the shakiness reduced enough so that seeing the exact point of aim better is accuracy-limiting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top