JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, without knowing use and action preference, I'd say if you're planning to shoot a lot/full power mag loads, go with the Stainless Ruger Redhawk, barrel length that best suits your needs. That being said, many start thinking they'll shoot one a lot, and after a couple cylinders, switch to .44 Special or their .38;). If you aren't going full tilt on power factor, a S&W 629 is a fine choice.

Now, all that being said, unless you really need a DA, my first choice would be a stainless Ruger Bisley, 5 1/2" barrel (fairly easy to find). Can do just about anything that doesn't require DA or max'd out distance handgun hunting. A great platform for tuning or customization from someone like Bowen. And the Ruger Bisley grip works.

$.02 worth

Firearms registration (including your Ruger 10/22), and mag bans are on the agenda for this coming legislative session in Olympia folks:eek:. Check out the legislative areas.

2A Rights Rally, 1/17/20 in Olympia:

Boss

I've had a Smith and Wesson model 69 for about a year. Its snappier then my old super redhawk .44 was but its not terrible. Big fan, the size is a good compromise between weight, control, trigger.

I'm kinda torn between the super redhawk or a 629. Hopefully going to make it to a couple gun shops this coming week. I need to fondle a couple things before I make a decision.

I like DA/SA. Stainless is a must. I know a 8 inch barrel would be better with a scope but I'd rather do 6 because I'd probably end up carrying in around the woods without a scope a majority of the time.The scope would mostly be for target shooting maybe deer hunting but most of those shots would probably be 75 yards so a 6inch should do just fine.

I was also looking at a smith chambered in 460. I reload so that could be a lot of fun just for all the calibers available to shoot in it. I guess I'll see what the shops I check out have in stock for me to play with.

That would be a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I prefer a Ruger to SW for a scoped revolver because once scope is mounted in Ruger rings, it can be taken off gun and put back on easily and without changing point of aim. Also, by the time you scope a handgun, it's a heavy bulky package. SW excels in building their 629s just heavy enough for full 44 mag loads. The Ruger weighs more than needed for that--but you can fire 44mag+P+, that is, all the way up to .454 Cassull level power, but in .44. I figure by the time I scooe a 6 inch revolver its so bulky there's little to lose going for a heavier gun with a longer barrel way more capability. Also, love SWs, but not for scoped revolvers. And of course, they can't take .44 mag +p.

Of the two Ruger designs I prefer the Super Redhawk for a scoped gun because the scope in Ruger rings attaches on frame over cylinder instead of on barrel, putting weight of scope over cylinder instead of dragging down barrel. Also puts eyepiece of scope closer to eye, giving more scope options because needed eye relief is less. In addition Redhawk grip is unique, and there are limited grip options. Super Redhawk has the same grip as GP100, so there are lots of grip options.

Revolver with six inch barrel is as long a barrel as most people 5' 9" or larger can carry on a belt and still sit down without removing gun. If you scope the gun, that's irrelevant, as the scoped gun is so bulky you aren't likely to carry it on your belt. Might as well go for a longer barrel. I'd go with a minimum of 7.5 for a scoped SRHK. Note that Ruger Super Redhawks are mostly 7.5 inches. The .44s are also available in 9.5 inch. My SRHK is a 9.5 inch .44.

Federal has very nice affordable bandolier style shoulder holsters for scoped or unscoped revolvers all the way up to 10.5 inches with many attachment options. About $38 at Amazon.

The above reference that SW 44 will not handle 44+p or +p+ is a very important point. Buffalo Bore has a good discussion this. Ruger is the way to go to handle 44 high power loads; it is important to many if the area they are hunting might involve 4 footed creatures that bite back.

Smith would likely be more accurate. Maybe consider a 454 instead? Or go with the Smith 460 which will shoot 454 and maybe 45 LC? If you go with 460/454 you'd have a better chance with elk or bears. 44+p+ will work as well.

Surprised no one mentioned it, but if you are not anti-Taurus, they make great-to-me revolvers. Taurus Tracker and Raging Series are adaptable to scope use, especially the new Raging Hunter, as it now comes with the picitany rail up top. Personally, I own a Dan Wesson 8 and 3/8" barrel, a Taurus Tracker 4" in 44 mag, and a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 " 454 C. The Super Redhawk and Raging series will handle heavy loads for sure.

Surprised no one mentioned it, but if you are not anti-Taurus, they make great-to-me revolvers. Taurus Tracker and Raging Series are adaptable to scope use, especially the new Raging Hunter, as it now comes with the picitany rail up top. Personally, I own a Dan Wesson 8 and 3/8" barrel, a Taurus Tracker 4" in 44 mag, and a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 " 454 C. The Super Redhawk and Raging series will handle heavy loads for sure.

how many rounds do you have through the Taurus?i was looking at one of them. It was a stainless frames with a black barrel. Had the railed top like you mentioned. Seemed kind of interesting. I wonder if any shops around me have one.

That was the raging hunter I was looking at. If a local shop had one I'd probably check it out. I got a couple guns I'd like to trade or sell so hoping if a local shop has one I can work something out with them. Got one i frequent often and they usually give me above fair trade in value.

how many rounds do you have through the Taurus?i was looking at one of them. It was a stainless frames with a black barrel. Had the railed top like you mentioned. Seemed kind of interesting. I wonder if any shops around me have one.
My Taurus was/is my backpack woods gun. I carry it on hikes and hunting, until I get the proper holster for the 454 C. I shot not more than 50 rounds in the 8 or so years I own it. Easy to shoot with it being ported.

Someone on this forum is selling the same one i have.

That would be a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I prefer a Ruger to SW for a scoped revolver because once scope is mounted in Ruger rings, it can be taken off gun and put back on easily and without changing point of aim. Also, by the time you scope a handgun, it's a heavy bulky package. SW excels in building their 629s just heavy enough for full 44 mag loads. The Ruger weighs more than needed for that--but you can fire 44mag+P+, that is, all the way up to .454 Cassull level power, but in .44. I figure by the time I scooe a 6 inch revolver its so bulky there's little to lose going for a heavier gun with a longer barrel way more capability. Also, love SWs, but not for scoped revolvers. And of course, they can't take .44 mag +p.

Of the two Ruger designs I prefer the Super Redhawk for a scoped gun because the scope in Ruger rings attaches on frame over cylinder instead of on barrel, putting weight of scope over cylinder instead of dragging down barrel. Also puts eyepiece of scope closer to eye, giving more scope options because needed eye relief is less. In addition Redhawk grip is unique, and there are limited grip options. Super Redhawk has the same grip as GP100, so there are lots of grip options.

Revolver with six inch barrel is as long a barrel as most people 5' 9" or larger can carry on a belt and still sit down without removing gun. If you scope the gun, that's irrelevant, as the scoped gun is so bulky you aren't likely to carry it on your belt. Might as well go for a longer barrel. I'd go with a minimum of 7.5 for a scoped SRHK. Note that Ruger Super Redhawks are mostly 7.5 inches. The .44s are also available in 9.5 inch. My SRHK is a 9.5 inch .44.

Federal has very nice affordable bandolier style shoulder holsters for scoped or unscoped revolvers all the way up to 10.5 inches with many attachment options. About $38 at Amazon.
Thanks for the bandolier info. Just what I wanted.

There had been a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with Ruger Scope Rings which is a real champ of a revolver. I recall the barrel length was 7.5". I have the Super Blackhawk in 7.5 and it is very accurate. Seems to me the Super Blackhawk was also made with shorter barrel lengths.

I'm kinda torn between the super redhawk or a 629. Hopefully going to make it to a couple gun shops this coming week. I need to fondle a couple things before I make a decision.

I like DA/SA. Stainless is a must. I know a 8 inch barrel would be better with a scope but I'd rather do 6 because I'd probably end up carrying in around the woods without a scope a majority of the time.The scope would mostly be for target shooting maybe deer hunting but most of those shots would probably be 75 yards so a 6inch should do just fine.

I was also looking at a smith chambered in 460. I reload so that could be a lot of fun just for all the calibers available to shoot in it. I guess I'll see what the shops I check out have in stock for me to play with.
My understanding is if you scope a 629, then remove the scope, when you put the scope back on you are going to have to sight in all over again. A major pain. I'm guessing it would take a whole shooting session just to do that. If so, I wouldnt consider it practical to go back and forth between scoped and unscoped. Let others who have done it speak up if this is wrong.

A scoped ruger using ruger rings, on the other had, will hold its point of aim if scope in rings is taken off and returned to gun. So if you want a dual use gun, it seems to me that ruger is the way to go.

A scoped ruger using ruger rings, on the other had, will hold its point of aim if scope in rings is taken off and returned to gun. So if you want a dual use gun, it seems to me that ruger is the way to go.

Ruger uses the same rings for handguns as it does for the 77MKII's and Hawkeyes. I think it's one of the best systems available, I notice slight difference in POI after removing and remounting (or switching) a scope and rings. I have two scopes in rings for one rifle and sometimes swap back and forth. I have to resight every time, but it's not too far off.
Maybe the difference is more pronounced because of the longer sight in distance of a rifle over a handgun, but I still wouldn't expect a perfect return to zero. It is close and certainly takes less time and effort than switching scope to sights and back on an S&W.

I have a 629 classic hunter with scope. It is very nice but it is for lite loads for the 44. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk, non-scoped; with 7.5 inch barrel and it is a champ. But if I were to scope I'd go with the Ruger because it can handle the +p+ loads.

I love the 44 mag, Smith or Ruger,
What is your intended purpose ? since you want to scope it, I would go Ruger Bisley Hunter, Go to buds .com,,Its 7.5 inch but there are custom smiths who would Cut and crown it to your wishes and tune the trigger and action, to a T. And you could have a custom front site mounted at the same time.

Why go with just one. For us gals....its like shoes.... And so easy to re-load!

00004376.jpg short44 (2).jpg

When the time came, I got out of the .44's and went with a 460 S&W. .45 LC out of it equates to a 9mm 1911, powderpuff loads. The ability to shoot .45LC, .45LC+P, 454, and 460 make it very flexible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top