JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says looking for a good 44 mag revolver. I'm thinking something in stainless with a 6inch barrel. Besides that not super picky. Would like to keep it under say 7-800. Being able to put a pistol scope on it would be a plus as well. Pics of what you guys got or have experience with would be awesome to.

Here is a deal, and it's scope ready.

I've only scoped Ruger single action revolvers and they needed a trip to the gunsmith to mount a good scope base. There was a Hunter series that used Ruger rings that fit right on the topstrap, similar to the Redhawk revolvers and that's a great scope mount.
The newer S&W revolvers have some extra holes drilled and tapped into the top of the frame for scope mounts. It's a good setup. Velzey's got a nice deal there, too.

Ditto S&W 629; they are very well made. (I have the "classic", which is blued, and it is easily my favorite handgun. :))

29wheel-jpg.jpg

I really want a 480 Ruger. My buddy had one back years ago. 8 1/2 inch barrel with a scope on top. Thing was a blast to to shoot. We use to set melons up at 50,75, and 100yards and man that thing would still destroy them at 100. I recently just bought stuff to reload for my dads s&w 44mag and figured i should probably have my own since I have the stuff to reload now.

I asked a similar question recently. Maybe some of the discussion in that thread might be helpful:

Something similar to a gp100 but in 44mag would be nice.
Redhawk? Not full under lug like the GP100, but they have been/are available in blued or stainless, and they are stout if you are loading some powerful rounds. Also, I think some of the newer ones may have provisions to mount a scope (mine is older).

Something similar to a gp100 but in 44mag would be nice.
That would be a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I prefer a Ruger to SW for a scoped revolver because once scope is mounted in Ruger rings, it can be taken off gun and put back on easily and without changing point of aim. Also, by the time you scope a handgun, it's a heavy bulky package. SW excels in building their 629s just heavy enough for full 44 mag loads. The Ruger weighs more than needed for that--but you can fire 44mag+P+, that is, all the way up to .454 Cassull level power, but in .44. I figure by the time I scooe a 6 inch revolver its so bulky there's little to lose going for a heavier gun with a longer barrel way more capability. Also, love SWs, but not for scoped revolvers. And of course, they can't take .44 mag +p.

Of the two Ruger designs I prefer the Super Redhawk for a scoped gun because the scope in Ruger rings attaches on frame over cylinder instead of on barrel, putting weight of scope over cylinder instead of dragging down barrel. Also puts eyepiece of scope closer to eye, giving more scope options because needed eye relief is less. In addition Redhawk grip is unique, and there are limited grip options. Super Redhawk has the same grip as GP100, so there are lots of grip options.

Revolver with six inch barrel is as long a barrel as most people 5' 9" or larger can carry on a belt and still sit down without removing gun. If you scope the gun, that's irrelevant, as the scoped gun is so bulky you aren't likely to carry it on your belt. Might as well go for a longer barrel. I'd go with a minimum of 7.5 for a scoped SRHK. Note that Ruger Super Redhawks are mostly 7.5 inches. The .44s are also available in 9.5 inch. My SRHK is a 9.5 inch .44.

Federal has very nice affordable bandolier style shoulder holsters for scoped or unscoped revolvers all the way up to 10.5 inches with many attachment options. About $38 at Amazon.

The problem with going over 44mag is cost... .454, .460, .480, 500SW is over $2 a pop unless you reload, and if you go to the dark side, you will mess your pants when you see what brass and bullets cost for the T.Rex eradicators.
If you stick to 44mag, you can find brass reasonably cheap, it lasts near forever, and if you get molds you can cast 165 to 355gr. Plinking ammo from Berry's, Xtreme, or powder coated bullets keep cost and leading controlled and watermelons still explode.

The 629 Velzey is selling is the best SW ever made at a great price!

Attachments

• D44DDFD0-070E-4E9B-91DC-0ED0105E983B.MOV
    50.7 MB
The SW 29 and 629 and Ruger Redhawks are pretty much the sweet spot in my opinion.

I have two SW .44s that are awesome. I'm always on the prowl for a Ruger tho... I tend to slightly prefer Rugers but it's completely subjective, just like I prefer Challengers over Mustangs, marginally. I'm not nearly as discriminating with suitable quality blondes, redheads, or brunettes... :)

I have over forty handguns, mostly revolvers.
My favorites are thr Rugers.
I have four Redhawks in 357mag, 41 mag and 44 mag.

The Super Redhawk in 44 mag would be your ticket.
If you don't reload i would seriously think about it if you plan on doing much shooting. Dies are cheap, brass is cheap and you can get started at a reasonable cost.

I've had way too many 4" M-29's (the only size I'd own) shear studs, requiring a trip to the factory. Even the K-frames need re-timed every 10-20,000 rounds but don't generally shear studs.
The only .44 magnum I'd consider would be a double-action Ruger.. and not one of the tank models that you can bolt a sight to.

I had that gun it hurt to shoot full house loads and it's not designed to shoot them on a daily basis from what the manual said. I'm a Ruger fan for hot loads plus they have several models that come with the rings to mount a scope.
True, false and I agree.

Yup, the smaller the gun and the bigger the bullet, the harder it whacks your hand. And with stout ammo it's very sharp with the Model 69.
(notice the glove in the pic?) :)

The manual says to use SAAMI spec ammo with the exact marking on the barrel and lists alternate ammo, which in this case is 44 Special. My wife loves this gun when it's loaded with 44 Specials. There are no shooting limitations listed, in fact it has an extra detent in the lockup to help keep things in place during recoil. The manual states that the ammo used in the Ti, Sc & PD revolvers is to be tested to be sure they don't bullet pull under recoil.

Some of my favorite guns (ones I own) are Ruger and I agree they are stout as all get out. The Super Redhawk will take artillery level cartridges and the weight will take a lot of bite out of the recoil. It's an extremely strong revolver. I just prefer a smaller handgun for packing. Ruger came close to what I wanted with the GP100 in 44 Special, but I wanted just a little more.

True, false and I agree.

Yup, the smaller the gun and the bigger the bullet, the harder it whacks your hand. And with stout ammo it's very sharp with the Model 69.
(notice the glove in the pic?) :)

The manual says to use SAAMI spec ammo with the exact marking on the barrel and lists alternate ammo, which in this case is 44 Special. My wife loves this gun when it's loaded with 44 Specials. There are no shooting limitations listed, in fact it has an extra detent in the lockup to help keep things in place during recoil. The manual states that the ammo used in the Ti, Sc & PD revolvers is to be tested to be sure they don't bullet pull under recoil.

Some of my favorite guns (ones I own) are Ruger and I agree they are stout as all get out. The Super Redhawk will take artillery level cartridges and the weight will take a lot of bite out of the recoil. It's an extremely strong revolver. I just prefer a smaller handgun for packing. Ruger came close to what I wanted with the GP100 in 44 Special, but I wanted just a little more.

Ok maybe it wasn't in the manual, I thought it was but I know it's hard to handle full house loads it plan hurts to shoot it. It shot cowboy loads fantastic and they where fun to shoot but man I wanted to shoot buffalo boar loads and it wasn't going to be in that gun. So I sold it bought the Ruger Redhawk and that thing is beastly, full house loads no problem. I also reload now because 44mag isn't cheep and now I make my own buffalo boar loads..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top