JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be buying a new (to me) handgun to carry while hunting. I've decided on a revolver, and I think I want a single action. I love how they feel and shoot, and with practice, you can shoot them fairly fast. I kinda want a .45LC, because I have a .45-70, and I think it would be cool to have the same "caliber" rifle and handgun. I hear that .45LC can be hand loaded to get some really good performance out of it, but is it as good as what you can get out of a .44 with hand loads? I know there is no arguing that a .44 mag will stop pert near anything in the US. I will be hunting in Wyoming and Montana in the next couple years, and hope to get up to Canada or Alaska in the next few years, so there is a chance of running into a Grizzly. If I go with a .44, there is a chance I'll go with a DA instead.

So, for backwoods protection, in North America, what would you go with, .45LC or .44 Magnum?

I have and enjoy both, but for pure versatility I'd go with the .44 Mag . . . at least first. You can load the .44 Mag to full power or down to light .44 Special levels as desired. I generally load my .45 Colt and .44 Mag cartridges to about the same specs for fun shooting (about 900 fps with 230 to 250 gr bullets) but always have some hotter .44 Mags around for serious shooting. I think its easier than trying to make the .45 Colt something it isn't. All that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

IMO 45/70 & 45 colt are 2 far apart to be of any advantage calber wise. For that reason I would choose a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag. Here is one I am quite fond of, next to a hardcast 310gr load I enjoy.

067.jpg

My feeling is that if you see a Grizzly from any distance at all you should be able to avoid contact with it or use your rifle.

If you are charged unexpectedly from short range, and are still able to clear leather and get off a shot with your pistol, the "stopping power" of either round on a Grizzly, in my opinion, leaves much to be desired.

That being the case; I would choose the .45 Colt round and carry the pistol for plinking, as a defense against two legged critters, and small game hunting, etc.

I enjoy the versatility of the 44 special/mag. As others have stated, it can be used with specials, or more potent magnum rounds. It must be considered, however, a last ditch defense against a bear. A rifle is always preferable with its greater velocity and energy. Having said that, I love packing my Ruger, and with practice, its not that bad to shoot full house loads. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

I wasn't thinking about a grizzly when I made my post. I wouldn't consider ANY handgun for grizzly protection. Especially if you've got a perfectly good 45/70! I liked to run the 405gr Remington cor-lokt loaded pretty stout in my marlin. but I have no idea how that bullet would perform on a grizz.

Either will serve you well. Both will cost a lot for factory ammo. In factory ammo, 44mag is usually easier to find and most times cheaper too. If you don't reload I would say go with 44Mag. I had already been invested in 45Colt handguns so I started reloading in that caliber. I like the historical 45Colt cartridge and the fact that I can load it light or heavy is a nice option to have.

Thanks! I'd surely prefer my rifle over a handgun for protection, but sometimes things really go wrong and you lose a hold of it or something. I've never been in the situation, and don't want to be, I'd just like to have as good of odds as I can, without going with a .460 or .500 or something like that. I think I am leaning towards a .44 now. And I really like the 4" S&W Backpacker my cousin just bought....

I have had both and like them both. I carry a Taurus titanium 4" .44 mag for self defense when ML hunting. It's very light weight and will kill an Elephant.

I have a .41 mag that I would use for the instances you provide.
As others have noted, if you don't handload, the .44 Mag would be the way to go.
If you handload, as I and many others here do, the 45 offers many options. But, just like the 45-70 you mention, not all guns are capable of hot handloads. If you wanna go for power, you need to look at something like the Ruger Blackhawk for that. The Colt and Colt copies will not tolerate the increased pressure.

Also, as a side note, if you are using that 45-70 for something more dangerous than deer and elk, the 405gr Remington bullet isn't a good choice. I used to shoot them at 2050fps out of a Browning single shot. It's a great bullet at much slower speeds, but if my life might depend on it I would choose an entirely different bullet. The Remington bullet is designed to work well with muzzle velocities around 13-1500 fps, but will shed itself pretty quickly at higher velocities and tough animals. Look to the Partition (and it's ilk) or Barnes for something that will hold together better.

Definitely go with the Ruger if you are looking for max loads in the 45 Colt. I absolutely love the .44. I am much more fond of the .44 Spl., but the Mag is all I need in power for a handgun. I also wouldn't overlook the .41 Mag.

For me, the only way to go is Ruger single actions and S&W double actions.

I have never really enjoyed shooting .44 mags despite having had 3 or 4 in my life. If it were me going into bad bear or worse yet moose country I'd be depending on my rifle or a shorty shotgun if fishing, hiking, other things. However, I do still own a really sweet Uberti .44 mag single action. I'm not a spaghetti gun guy really but it's mint, small for a .44 mag., shoots well, and seems to handle hot .44 mags on occasion. Mainly I shoot specials in it but they aren't a half bad gun....just more options to consider.

I want to re-iterate that .44 would be the choice if you don't reload. If you do, .45 Colt is just a better round to reload, IMO. You can load it hotter, wider variety of bullets you can punch in there, etc. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan that pairs nicely with a Winchester 94AE in that caliber. Even though they are loaded far hotter, they shoot softer, to me, than my .44 does out of a 629, or the Marlin for that matter.

You could always get a BFR from Magnum Researchin 45-70, that's a mans revolver right there...

45LC can be loaded to 44 special levels, but the 44 mag with slow burning powder can push a 230 grain projectile to 1600fps. I'm selling a 7.5" Super Blackhawk if you're interested.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top