JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Had a Winchester 44 mag and totally regret selling it, it would jam now and then if you didnt rack it substancialy but i took it to shooter service and had them do the action and feed ramp and it was beautiful after that. Buddy has a break down co pilot in 457 mag and that thing rocks but are pretty darn pricey

don't know about the best or anything - I picked up a Henry 44 mag lever earlier this year. the blue, wood one. very well built and classy looking. not a unclassy way at all to deliver a 300 grain projectile.

very well built and classy looking. not a unclassy way at all to deliver a 300 grain projectile.
Yes they are.

For whatever reasons Henry has it's fans and detractors. I was initially apprehensive but then after looking at, and handling a few began to warm up to the idea of owning one - and after years of owning a problematic WInchester 94 AE Trapper I had been thinking of something else in a .357.

I had been looking for a JM Marlin in .357 but one day found a Henry in my local Bi Mart and after a lengthy inspection I bought it.

Fit and finish is excellent - more like that of a higher grade rifle than production. Action very good as well but I knew a good cleaning and smoothing of the internals would improve it.

Bottom line is I like it very much and it performed better than I expected. Hey, it has a couple minor issues I would change if I were in the driver's seat of Henry (and some have been) but overall no complaints.

Some describe them with serious vitriol, calling them junk but that is hardly the case. I have looked at other new guns with names that have been around a while that don't come anywhere near the quality of a Henry.

I got a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag few years ago, no regrets. This rifle is very dissimilar from my 2008 Remington 870. Where the 870 is rough, the Marlin is smooth; where the 870 has a crappy rusting finish, the Marlin has a nice deep blue. Maybe by 2018 they had figured out how not to suck again, maybe I got lucky.

Bought mine at a gun show. All it says is "45 Long Colt" and the SN. It eats everything you feed it and it matches my Blackhawk in cal. I guess it's all about what you want. Value and/or function.

Gun Bench.jpg

Converted a 30-30 model 94 to 44 Mag years ago Numrich used to sell the kit (original surplus Winchester parts). Worked well but packed a wallop with the light weight, plastic butt plate. My son has it now and loads it to 44 SPL specs for plinking. Fun gun, and fun to let your friends shoot with full power loads!

Always considered the Browning/Miroku Model 92s to be the gold standard in lever 357/44 cal.

What's the best one? Seems like Winchester doesn't make one in .44, Marlin seems like a go too, but there have a dizzying number of options. I like their 16.5" options. This isn't going to be a hunting rifle, more a fun gun/ protection/ defense in certain situations (eg. backcountry camping in bear country, etc.)
The magic phrase you used is 'backcountry camping in bear country.'
If it's bears you want to stop on the first shot, and RIGHT NOW...my advice is to go with a Marlin Guide Gun. You know, the lever-action in 45-70 Government. Real popular in Alaska because of its rather compact size, and ability to stop a grizzly right in its tracks. It's shorter than most 30-30's and packs a hell of a wallop at close to medium ranges. I have never owned one, but I have shot one a few times. It's a friggin CANNON in lever-action and will rock your world. The bear, if he's smart, will just surrender to you when he sees it. If he AIN'T smart, you'll be having bear roast for dinner. There are many arguments for and against the 45-70, and we could go around about that all day. But the truth is, for any bear threatening you at maybe 150 yards or less, it is hell on wheels, and with the right loads it has bone-crushing power. You can get one new from Sportsmans Warehouse for $689 or thereabouts.

1607849639857.png

Last Edited:
Converted a 30-30 model 94 to 44 Mag years ago Numrich used to sell the kit (original surplus Winchester parts). Worked well but packed a wallop with the light weight, plastic butt plate. My son has it now and loads it to 44 SPL specs for plinking. Fun gun, and fun to let your friends shoot with full power loads!

Always considered the Browning/Miroku Model 92s to be the gold standard in lever 357/44 cal.

The 92 is a stronger action than the 94

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads