JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I'm getting the itch for a lever gun. Actually I've had the itch for a while it's just getting stronger lately. I want one in .44mag mostly because I already have a pistol in that caliber so there is some efficiency. I don't need another round to track down and stock.

What's the best one? Seems like Winchester doesn't make one in .44, Marlin seems like a go too, but there have a dizzying number of options. I like their 16.5" options. This isn't going to be a hunting rifle, more a fun gun/ protection/ defense in certain situations (eg. backcountry camping in bear country, etc.). Thus, the maneuverability and weight savings of that length seems logical.

Thanks!
JA

I think the gold standard in a lever gun is a pre 64 model 94 Winchester in 30-30.

Not that a 44 carbine isn't a great gun.
They just work better for me as a semi-auto.

But defiantly go after your hearts desire.. And try it out. :s0155:

Winchester makes a .44 mag Model 92 as do others.

Some Rossi 92s are nice, some not so nice. There are a few for sale here IIRC.

Browning made some Model 92s in .44 mag also.

Marlin and Henry both make .44 mag lever actions, Henry makes quite a few variations.

I think the gold standard in a lever gun is a pre 64 model 94 Winchester in 30-30.

Not that a 44 carbine isn't a great gun.
They just work better for me as a semi-auto.

But defiantly go after your hearts desire.. And try it out. :s0155:
Someday I'll for sure own a vintage OG model 94 in 30-30,

I'm not a big Henry fan. The ones I've handled were front-heavy and I've seen several jam up real good, especially their rimfires. The Winchester 1892 and 1894 pattern are lighter and livelier in the hand, fit me better, have very strong actions, and load from the gate rather than down the tube.

Buy an older Rossi without the weird safety on top of the bolt. Pretty well built and inexpensive. They aren't exactly gonna be butter smooth in my experience but they aren't milled by termites either. Don't know if the miroku Winchesters were ever made in .44, however; mine in .357 is a handsome, smooth little carbine but it cost a solid paycheck. Henry seems to be hit or miss by public opinion of which I don't have one.

Buy an older Rossi without the weird safety on top of the bolt. Pretty well built and inexpensive. They aren't exactly gonna be butter smooth in my experience but they aren't milled by termites either. Don't know if the miroku Winchesters were ever made in .44, however; mine in .357 is a handsome, smooth little carbine but it cost a solid paycheck. Henry seems to be hit or miss by public opinion of which I don't have one.

My Rossi 92 is very smooth - surprisingly smooth

I'm trying to track down that same rifle in 45 Colt.

ad is for a .44 but seller states he has one in .45 too.

also:

Look at the Winchester Trapper Model. I think it has been discontinued. I hunted with a fellow 10 012 years ago that had one and loved It. With a low power scope it was perfect. A full powered handload would just break 1700 FPS from its short barrel.

Dad has one in 454 Casull and its very....spritely!

Shoot more 45LC out of it than anything.

I have the Rossi in .44, a Marlin 336 in .30-30, and a Marlin '95 in .45-70

I also have a Browning BLR in .308

I pretty much have my lever action bases covered, but I would like to have a Browning BL-22

I would also like a BHA Model 90 in .460 mag, but I can't think of anything it can do that my .45-70 can't do and do it cheaper except share ammo with my 460V. I thought about getting a Rossi/etc. in .45 LC, but my 460V can shoot more powerful ammo (.460 mag) with better ballistics than a lever action in .45/.454 - so not really practical and at $3K per rifle....

The first .44Mag production rifles were the Win 94, and the Marlin 336, both with modified actions to use the short handgun cartridge.
Having used both, they are oversize and clunky for a .44 Mag.
The long discontinued Browning B-92 is a gem, but they are now highly sought after as collectables, and quite expensive.
I got one of the very first Miroku Winchesters, a "short rifle" in .44Mag when they were first on the market, about 20 years ago or so.
It has been flawless, and could be worked at speed for SASS shooting.
Then got one of the very first Marlin 1894SS models in .44Mag so I could shoot BP in SASS.
That gun was a disaster and required a lot of pro gunsmith work to make it run at competition speed without totally jamming up.
But after being worked-over it was a good gun and quite accurate.
My biggest complaint was that the Marlin seemed like a "bucket of bolts" compared to the Winchester, like you were always waiting for parts to fall out of it.
I also used two Rossi's in .45 Colt, total losers, stiff cranky actions that required a lot of work to smooth-up.
But the biggest downfall,, both had way oversize chambers, the brass got over-expanded, and both would blow-back Black Powder crap at you because the brass wouldn't seal in the chambers.
If you can, get a Winchester, the others are a crap-shoot in quality.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top