JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look at the Winchester Trapper Model. I think it has been discontinued. I hunted with a fellow 10 012 years ago that had one and loved It. With a low power scope it was perfect. A full powered handload would just break 1700 FPS from its short barrel.
wow that thing looks and sounds like it would fit the bill nicely. good call.

The first .44Mag production rifles were the Win 94, and the Marlin 336, both with modified actions to use the short handgun cartridge.
Having used both, they are oversize and clunky for a .44 Mag.
The long discontinued Browning B-92 is a gem, but they are now highly sought after as collectables, and quite expensive.
I got one of the very first Miroku Winchesters, a "short rifle" in .44Mag when they were first on the market, about 20 years ago or so.
It has been flawless, and could be worked at speed for SASS shooting.
Then got one of the very first Marlin 1894SS models in .44Mag so I could shoot BP in SASS.
That gun was a disaster and required a lot of pro gunsmith work to make it run at competition speed without totally jamming up.
But after being worked-over it was a good gun and quite accurate.
My biggest complaint was that the Marlin seemed like a "bucket of bolts" compared to the Winchester, like you were always waiting for parts to fall out of it.
I also used two Rossi's in .45 Colt, total losers, stiff cranky actions that required a lot of work to smooth-up.
But the biggest downfall,, both had way oversize chambers, the brass got over-expanded, and both would blow-back Black Powder crap at you because the brass wouldn't seal in the chambers.
If you can, get a Winchester, the others are a crap-shoot in quality.

very good info, thanks for the insight.

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper (16" barrel) in .44 mag and love it. It is probably the most fun plinking rifle I own. You can load up hot .44 mag loads for hunting or .44 special with cast bullets and lower powder charges for knocking over cans. Everyone who shoots it is smiling when they put it down.

I'd say my hunting buddy got his 20 years ago. Time apparently does fly. I think he got it when it first came on the market. He's not had a bit of trouble out of it and when he's got it gun in hand he always has a big smile on his face.

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper (16" barrel) in .44 mag and love it. It is probably the most fun plinking rifle I own. You can load up hot .44 mag loads for hunting or .44 special with cast bullets and lower powder charges for knocking over cans. Everyone who shoots it is smiling when they put it down.

These two anecdotes are about all I need to make the purchase. Thanks fellas. I'm gonna keep an eye out for a good price on a 'Chester Trapper.

I have a real affinity for lever action Winchesters and Marlins.

I've owned and/or shot many in different configurations and chamberings, and still own a few.

Winchester 94...The easiest operating in a straight wall handgun cartridge. The Trapper version is the ultimate version.

Marlin 1894...Has the accuracy edge but the action is slightly less smooth in chambering straight wall cartridges.

I own both, and there is no wrong choice between the two.

Also, in spite of internet truths, the newer, post-JM Marlins, in my experiences, are pleasingly well made and every bit as accurate as the earlier models.

Ironically, and in spite of what I've shared, my Trapper '94 and JM Marlin 1894C remain in the safe, while my newer Marlins are used regularly.

Last Edited:
yep, thanks for that. I wasn't clear, but I was looking for a carbine length (16"). They don't make one currently it seems, but as others have pointed out, the trapper seems the gold standard.

The carbine in 357 or 44 mag with a 16" barrel would be the preferred length. I don't think you get much more oomph from a 20" barrel. If you do it's not much. The 16" is a really handy size and if it is a breakdown model, that's even better!

The carbine in 357 or 44 mag with a 16" barrel would be the preferred length. I don't think you get much more oomph from a 20" barrel. If you do it's not much. The 16" is a really handy size and if it is a breakdown model, that's even better!

exactly what i'm thinking as well. It's not a 400 yard hunting rifle. Probably won't see an plinking nor varmint work past 50 yards anyway.

Buy an older Rossi without the weird safety on top of the bolt. Pretty well built and inexpensive. They aren't exactly gonna be butter smooth in my experience but they aren't milled by termites either. Don't know if the miroku Winchesters were ever made in .44, however; mine in .357 is a handsome, smooth little carbine but it cost a solid paycheck. Henry seems to be hit or miss by public opinion of which I don't have one.
Dittos on the "older .44 Rossi"... Got one and doubt if I'll sell it. Short, light, handy and esp w/.44spec lays down a useful short range field of fire if a manually-operated action is called for. A "throw in the trunk" gun! There are a couple smiths who do good work on these for western contestant shooters, and a number of after-market parts made....

I like the 73 Win clones. I have two of them. One in 357 mag and the other in .45 Colt. Both made by Uberti and the quality is unbelievable. They made a .44 mag version of it but I've never seen it up close. The marlin has that Loooooong twist of 1-38 that some people don't like because it's considered too slow for the heavy bullets but it's fine for the 240 grain and down. Everyone else goes with the faster twists like 1-30 or less. My brother just bought another Henry .44 mag and loves it. Quality from Henry is flawless, but you pay for it. I wish they made a side gate version of the .44 but they don't yet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top