JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have Henry 44 mag carbine that hold 7 rounds mostly everywhere I read you can't have more than five rounds I was just wondering if it would be legal for me to hunt with it I don't see why not my only question is the fact of it holding 7 rounds going to be an issue?

The 5 round limitation is for semi-automatic rifles only. Every Winchester 94 30 WCF (30-30) holds 7 rounds. Dad hunted with a British 303 that could hold 10 in the mag.

Check those regs again and you'll see what I mean.

The Henry should be a great woods gun. Light, handy and powerful.

Thank you for the hasty reply..I checked the regs I just wanted to get a second opinion just to make sure. I just bought this rifle and some of my best hunts are in tall open pine cover with ranges of 100 yards or less planning on putting on some rpp cloverleaf peep sights

Here's my new deer popper

2019-05-18 18.02.43.jpg 2019-05-18 18.29.34.jpg 20190518_173645.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid, I used to load all 7 rounds, + 1 in the chamber, when I carried my dad's .30-30, then one time my brother was home and went with us.
I saw him load only 3 rounds and I asked, "why only 3 rounds? Don't you wanna load as many as you can?"
My brother's rather profound reply was, "If I can't hit the deer in 3 shots, I got no business being out here."
I've never loaded any gun I was hunting with, with more than 3 rounds since.
It doesn't matter if your gun holds a million rounds or if the regs limit you to 5 round or 3 rounds.
If you don't feel confident enough in the ability's of both you and your gun, to get the job done quickly and with the least amount of effort, then you shouldn't be out in the woods in the first place.

MagnumJohn,
That's a nice rifle you got and if you keep your shots within 100 yards, it will easily drop any deer it's shot at.
If you can deliver safe, accurate fire, then using it should be no problem and you shouldn't feel the need to "max out" the magazine.

Dean

I absolutely agree if your taking ethical shots and not rushing you shouldn't need more than 1 or 2.. its pretty rare to be able to get more than 2 shots at a deer anyway if you do miss.. my 270 holds 4 +1 and I have never needed to reload during a day of hunting...I just wanted to make sure I didn't need a plug of some sort

I absolutely agree if your taking ethical shots and not rushing you shouldn't need more than 1 or 2.. its pretty rare to be able to get more than 2 shots at a deer anyway if you do miss.. my 270 holds 4 +1 and I have never needed to reload during a day of hunting...I just wanted to make sure I didn't need a plug of some sort
Just remember it isn't yesteryear and the woods can be full of all kinds of dangerous critters four legged and two legged. I very rarely need more than one shot for a deer but I still top off whatever I'm hunting with along with a sidearm and I don't even hunt public property.

As others have said, for big game the 5 round restriction in Oregon only applies to semiautomatics. From pg 18 of the 2019 Oregon Big Game Regs:

"Centerfire firearm
It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with:
  • .22 caliber rimfire (except for western gray squirrel).

• Fully automatic firearms.

• Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine

capacity greater than five cartridges
    (except

for western gray squirrel)."

As for bird hunting there's a 3 shell limit, waterfowl and upland. From page 12 of the 2018-19 Oregon bird hunting regs:

"No one may hunt game birds with a shotgun which can hold more than three shells."

That 3-shell shotgun limit applies to Washington as well....I wonder if that's a national thing?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone surprised by the fact that we can only carry 3 rounds in our shotguns, for hunting purposes, regardless of where they were from.

Dean

Just remember it isn't yesteryear and the woods can be full of all kinds of dangerous critters four legged and two legged. I very rarely need more than one shot for a deer but I still top off whatever I'm hunting with along with a sidearm and I don't even hunt public property.
This right here.

That 3-shell shotgun limit applies to Washington as well....I wonder if that's a national thing?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone surprised by the fact that we can only carry 3 rounds in our shotguns, for hunting purposes, regardless of where they were from.

Dean

Not all states limit you to three rounds for upland game, but three rounds for waterfowl is universal due to Federal regulations. Some states probably just default to three rounds for everything to keep it simple and limit excuses.

Yeah, I don't hunt, but it's pretty disgusting to hear gun owners talk with their noses in the air about how many rounds anyone wants to have in their rifle. Im not targeting anyone in particular here mind you, but i see the talk everywhere. Unless restricted by law, it's no one's business, and even if it was, only a fool goes into harms way without topping off their mags/tubes/chambers. Who the hell knows what you're going to find out there. 3 rounds, 7 rounds, whats the weight difference compared to having it in there just in case? Even if you just end up having fun and doing a little plinking before returning to uour truck, it literally hurts no one.

Oh, soapbox done, i have a 22" octagon 44mag rossi. I was floored with how much extra power it had over my .44mag revolver. It's obvious in retrospect, but I hadn't thought about it until I saw the steel target bent from the impact. I have no doubt it would make a fine hunting rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top