JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The most relevant for me is I worked closely with a guy who later committed suicide (with a gun I think - can't remember) because his ex-wife won sole custody in a divorce - he was dedicated to his daughter.

Another one was a kid I vaguely knew in school accidentally shot and killed his brother (or was it his cousin) with a rifle they were playing with. There may be more - there are a lot of people I have known 'personally' that have been killed or killed themselves over the years - including some suicides. I don't usually ask how the suicides killed themselves. There are probably others that have died and I just haven't heard - I am not good about keeping in touch with others.

OTOH - I have known a LOT more people who have died in car accidents - including a family member last year who died because she lost control of her car while texting.

Stuff happens - I don't blame the inanimate objects - it is usually a human that is at fault, not the object. I don't want to ban cars, or phones or guns - I find them all useful and relatively harmless if treated with respect and used properly.

My Uncle was shot 7 times in both legs with a .22 rifle by his crazy ex step son.
Not 7 separate times mind you..7 wounds.

I've known quite a few wounded Vets,but I don't think that is what we are talking about.

When I worked in L.A. in the 70s, stabbing was the thing. Folks couldn't afford guns.
Who needs to afford when you can pick one up in the next house you burglarize? At least that's the attitude I heard with a lot of kids. I actually turned in a few guns to the cops there I took off of kids under 16. I had the local PD on speed dial.

Anything if misused can be dangerous.
Just how many folks do you know or have yourself have been cut badly by mishandling a knife , axe or saw?
As pointed earlier , just how many people know of or have been in a car accident?

Whatever the percentage is of anything ... better questions might be :
What was the intent of the shooting?
How does this percentage , relate to other places in the country?
What are the numbers of , in this case , firearms legally owned and used lawfully , without harm versus those numbers of people who have been shot?
Does the percentage change depending on when you ask the question?
Just how does this percentage relate to firearm safety?

Just a few thoughts on this study and percentage...
Andy

As someone who deals with suicide attempts at work almost daily, I can tell you you can't prevent all methods. Heck, one of the more potent would be to eat certain local plants or OTC medications.

The antis want to control the argument with statistics like this. Accidental shootings, gang violence; "See how dangerous guns are?! We need to ban them!"

If we argue with them on their terms, they tend to win. The reality is that guns are inherently dangerous, accidents and suicides are tragic, and something needs to be done about gangs (whether it's law enforcement, economic improvement for depressed areas, cultural change, or a combination of all three, but that's another discussion.)

We need to always frame the argument our way, that violence IS a problem, but gun control is just a band-aid for deeper issues.

Violence is a cultural issue. In a free society we should find ways to deal with these issues personally and culturally, effecting people's hearts and minds.
Statists always want to deal with problems top down via the power of the state.

TYRANNY , ED is what it is. The time to Hunt the Phony anti gunner law makers is getting closer, Taking them with OUT a gun will Not even be a challenge, feed for Dogs N Hogs or Biodiesel feed stock is all they are good for. Yeah, I hate them with a Passion.

Some strong feelings and strong words there. Any sort of violent words or actions from our side would be extremely counter-productive. We need to win this battle with calm words and well-reasoned ideas.

Personally I don't hate them. They are people like anyone, doing what they think is right (for the most part).

A bunch of self-righteous hypocrites maybe, and very much wrong politically, but by and large not "bad" people. I try to not hate anyone.

I can't believe I forgot... I was in a drive by shooting about 30 years ago. I was like 16 years old and out on the cruise with friends in a group of maybe 30 people. A truck with several Mexican kids in it pulled up maybe 100 feet away and emptied a magazine into the crowd. 5 people where shot including the friend I had with me. I loaded him up and took him to the ER. Never caught the shooters.

I've also been robbed at gun point, guy fired a round into the ground when I would not comply but he didn't shoot me so I guess that doesn't count

CLT65- just look at what being SO reverent around those Jerks that try to steal our rights AND guns has gotten US??
Note that every time I speak of getting "rough" with THEM it is Legally, just because I want their heads in a noose is only natural, Thieves were Hanged in the Old West..

I grew up in gun toting Idaho and to say that 44 out of every 100 people I new were shot is way way off. Even here in Scappoose more like 2-4%.

And that's with an ex and two cousins in law enforcement and knowing several vets including my grandpa, grandma, uncles my stepson and cousins. One vet lost his arm in nam by grenade and many of the vets are disabled but not by gunshots.

I know 2 people that have committed suicide with a firearm and one that was shot 7 times with a .22 and still alive.

I grew up in gun toting Idaho and to say that 44 out of every 100 people I new were shot is way way off. Even here in Scappoose more like 2-4%.

And that's with an ex and two cousins in law enforcement and knowing several vets including my grandpa, grandma, uncles my stepson and cousins. One vet lost his arm in nam by grenade and many of the vets are disabled but not by gunshots.

I know 2 people that have committed suicide with a firearm and one that was shot 7 times with a .22 and still alive.

No, 44% of people asked knew someone who had been shot. Not 44% of all people you know had been shot

It's a statistically meaningless question in that 1 gunshot individual is known by multiple people...
A survey is very easily manipulated by using dishonest questions, given to rigged demographics, to get dishonest results, with meaningless conclusions, all intended to be analyzed by fools with an agenda.

That's a great additional argument against the survey question. My original goal in posting was to work through arguments about why it is bunk.

I knew several people shot and killed. ... I grew up in an area with a lot of gang violence.
The wording would also include suicide.

Except for some time in and around college, I've always lived in pretty mellow rural areas growing up and when I could finally move myself out of town, I did. I guess the big cities really are a different world.

As for suicide, I agree, that shouldn't be included because as rough as it is for those who knew and loved the person, it is not indicative of a violence problem.

Except for some time in and around college, I've always lived in pretty mellow rural areas growing up and when I could finally move myself out of town, I did. I guess the big cities really are a different world.

As for suicide, I agree, that shouldn't be included because as rough as it is for those who knew and loved the person, it is not indicative of a violence problem.
I grew up in a small town, that at the time, led the nation in Meth production. In school I lived in L.A. and downtown Chicago.

And this I would say, I think mellow rural areas are so much better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top