JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Modern" may refer to when rifling and such changed with the advent of smokeless powders...circa 1900.
With that said...
If I remember right... Originally the lead .44-40 bullet diameter was .427 not .429....which may make a difference.
Andy

"Modern" may refer to when rifling and such changed with the advent of smokeless powders...circa 1900.
With that said...
If I remember right...the lead .44-40 bullet diameter was .427 not .429....which may make a difference.
Andy
You are right the original was .427 but supposedly "modern" rifles enlarged the bores a bit to make them safe for larger and more common .429 bullets. Could be a myth?

I would think that modern copies would work with jacketed bullets...like the .429...
Not sure an original would.
I never shot any jacketed bullets out of my Winchester model 92 ( circa 1899 ) in .44-40 in any event.
Andy

I would think that modern copies would work with jacketed bullets...like the .429...
Not sure an original would.
I never shot any jacketed bullets out of my Winchester model 92 ( circa 1899 ) in .44-40 in any event.
Andy
The rifle I am looking at, is a Rossi 92 copy, so I am thinking it can handle the .429 bullets.

The rifle I am looking at, is a Rossi 92 copy, so I am thinking it can handle the .429 bullets.
Best way to know for sure the bore diameter of the particular barrel is to slug the bore and measure the lead slug. Edit...I see someone else had the same idea a minute before me.

It sounds like you're a handloader? Get the rifle and slug the bore and buy or cast bullets that fit the gun.
The last time I slugged a bore with an egg weight the darn thing got stuck in there, never again. I finally got it out but it wasn't pretty. I have a bunch of plated bullets I want to load for the rifle if I buy it.

The last time I slugged a bore with an egg weight the darn thing got stuck in there, never again. I finally got it out but it wasn't pretty. I have a bunch of plated bullets I want to load for the rifle if I buy it.
I've had good luck using round muzzleloader balls of fairly close oversize diameter. I've slugged all my .44s and could spot you a few extra balls if you want to try it. I just run an oiled patch down the bore first, get it started with a little mallet, and then drive it through with an appropriate rod.

I've had good luck using round muzzleloader balls of fairly close oversize diameter. I've slugged all my .44s and could spot you a few extra balls if you want to try it. I just run an oiled patch down the bore first, get it started with a little mallet, and then drive it through with an appropriate rod.
My mama always told me when I grew up I could do anything I wanted except be a gunsmith.

Just like most things it depends, my wifes Rossi rifle would load and shoot the .429 - .430 bullets just fine. My Ruger Vaquario needs the .427 bullets. Since I load and shoot a whole lot more 44 mag and specials I bought the Lee .427 push through sizing die that way I don't need to buy different bullets.

Found this on the internet:

"I bought a Rossi 44-40, and bought factory ammo, 44-40. The accuracy was lousey. The bulets on the factory ammo was .427 (measured).

Based upon suggestions on the wire, I slugged the barrel, and it was .429. Bought some bullets sized to .429, loaded some ammo, and that rifle is now a lot more accurate than my eyes and shooting ability."

source: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/214493-bore-size-4440/

None, it's a stand alone bottle neck cartridge
The shoulder angle is very slight (4°), and it headspaces off the rim. What harm would there be if you had a cartridge that was slightly shorter than the point where the shoulder begins on the 44-40 cartridge?

Screenshot_20211019-192057.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads