JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most likely you can for Black Tail deer, your max range for a 410 slug will be between 45-50 yards, I don't think you'd be very effective for thicker hided critters like Muley or White tail....:eek::D

There is at times a world of difference between can I use.....and should I use....
A .410 slug can kill a deer if placed right and done at fairly close range....like 50 yards and under...
Should it be done...?
Well , I think that there are far better choices out there to use.
Andy

Ok I have a 410 GA single shot shotgun and do you think that you can kill a deer with a 410 slug?

You are asking a specific question, I will give you a specific answer........ Yes, I can kill a deer with your 410 shotgun loaded with a slug ..........:cool:

But I live and hunt in Washington so I can't legally do that in this state.

Last Edited:
A friend of mine used one to kill many whitetails here. Of course one friend uses a .22 mag. When I said the .22 mag isn't much of a deer rifle he said he killed 49 deer with 50 shots, shot one twice.

It could be used for deer, but I think in the interest of the comfort of the deer, and the hunter, there are better alternatives. Chasing a wounded animal is hard on the hunter and hard on the animal. I think it even makes the meat taste different if an animal dies under extreme stress.
Probably jacks the epinephrine and alters the ph of the meat with all of the lactic acid buildup, making it taste different than a meal from a deer that didn't even know it was going to be dinner.

I would agree with what others have said. You can, but there are far better options. And a single shot 12 gauge is about the same as a single shot .410 price-wise and will give you a bit of leeway so you don't have to be ultra precise and careful with your shot placement.

You can get a 12ga single for $120 or pump for $190 so you may as well get something worthy of hunting with.

Just my 2¢

Not to mention......….. Ammo prices. 12 ga is cheap for practice shooting (promo bird shot loads). As for more serious stuff. Well IDK store prices. But at the gun shows, you can find cheap slugs and 00 buck in 12 ga. Just keep your eyes peeled.:cool:

I can remember buying .410 ga. practice ammo for my son and it was always more money vs 12 ga. promo stuff. Just another reason why my son moved away from the .410 ga.

Aloha, Mark

First, follow all state and local laws! Second, go with your skill level and let your conscience be your guide.:s0155: If in doubt, bail out!

I agree with HA556. I would just add that if you are unsure, call the Washington DFW and ask about the legality.

On the ethical side, do you feel comfortable hunting with a .357 Magnum out of a handgun? Because that's the lethality we're talking about. A 1/4 oz slug (less than 110 gr) at about 1,500-1,600 fps. (I know the box states a higher velocity but I have never heard of a .410 slug even getting close to the advertised velocity.)

As a projectile, a slug, being soft lead, would also likely not perform as well as a 110gr JHP .357 Magnum which has better sectional density and a jacket.

I would counsel against it but I've heard of deer being reliably harvested with both the.22 Mag in a rifle and the 9mm in a handgun.

Pennsylvania ir was legalbto hunt deer with 410 and any centerfire rifle.
I harvested a deer with a old Ithaca model 66 in 410 gauge.
One shot and it went down pretty fast.

I bought a new Ruger model 77 in 22 Hornet to use on a deer there.
Again i harvested a small buck with this gun. One shot and it didn't go far and went down.
Small light guns can be used, but stay with in it's limits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top