JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was depriming some 44 Magnum brass yesterday and noticed a couple that went through like melted butter, I thought nothing of it, figuring that I had some in the bin that had already had the primers removed. On the last one I actually took closer look and found that it was stamped as a 41 Magnum, I checked my loading manual and found that the 41 and 44 aren't quite the same size but pretty close. Because I had already loaded this brass before (I'm pretty sure), I think I may have fired 4 rounds of 41 Magnum (that's how many pieces of brass I found after going back through them) through my 44. Did I just get lucky...Is that even possible (I can tell that it would fit), How or why did it not blow up or foul the barrel?

Ron

That is what I would have expected, these were loose in the bin, it would be amazing if they got there without going through my gun at least once. I will double check for bulging this evening but it sure wasn't obvious.

Well .44 and .41 are actually rather close in dimensions, the .44 actually fires a .429" bullet, and the .41 fires a .410" bullet. The .41 case has a length of 1.290" and the .44 is 1.285 long. So theoretically if loaded a .41 round into a .44 mag it should fire. But this is extremely dangerous, especially considering the amount of energy and gases involved if you did manage to rupture a case.

If you did manage to fire some in a .44 mag, then you are pretty lucky to have made it out alright, check over the .41 cases for cracks/bulges to see how close they were to blowing. The fact that it was fired in a revolver, allows the pressure to drop slightly due to the cylinder gap, and the fact that since it was a .41 bullet in a .44 barrel are the few things that kept the case from failing.

The picture did not turn out all that well but I did notice some slight bulging on one of the cases and when you set them side by side the difference is noticable. the 4 in the middle are the 41's and the ones on the ends are 44's

1109091939.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads