Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

41 Magnum/44 Magnum?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by rpatton, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

Was depriming some 44 Magnum brass yesterday and noticed a couple that went through like melted butter, I thought nothing of it, figuring that I had some in the bin that had already had the primers removed. On the last one I actually took closer look and found that it was stamped as a 41 Magnum, I checked my loading manual and found that the 41 and 44 aren't quite the same size but pretty close. Because I had already loaded this brass before (I'm pretty sure), I think I may have fired 4 rounds of 41 Magnum (that's how many pieces of brass I found after going back through them) through my 44. Did I just get lucky...Is that even possible (I can tell that it would fit), How or why did it not blow up or foul the barrel?

Ron

2. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Wasn't there a heavy bulged case before you started? If 41 is fired in a 44 chamber.

3. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

That is what I would have expected, these were loose in the bin, it would be amazing if they got there without going through my gun at least once. I will double check for bulging this evening but it sure wasn't obvious.

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Well .44 and .41 are actually rather close in dimensions, the .44 actually fires a .429" bullet, and the .41 fires a .410" bullet. The .41 case has a length of 1.290" and the .44 is 1.285 long. So theoretically if loaded a .41 round into a .44 mag it should fire. But this is extremely dangerous, especially considering the amount of energy and gases involved if you did manage to rupture a case.

If you did manage to fire some in a .44 mag, then you are pretty lucky to have made it out alright, check over the .41 cases for cracks/bulges to see how close they were to blowing. The fact that it was fired in a revolver, allows the pressure to drop slightly due to the cylinder gap, and the fact that since it was a .41 bullet in a .44 barrel are the few things that kept the case from failing.

5. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

The picture did not turn out all that well but I did notice some slight bulging on one of the cases and when you set them side by side the difference is noticable. the 4 in the middle are the 41's and the ones on the ends are 44's

1109091939.jpg

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

just for reference, what gun did you shoot these through?

7. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

S&W 629-6 with 6" barrel