JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not a big fan of the 40 but I received a really good deal on 4006 CHP tsw in excellent condition.. I thought the double action is way smooth and de-cock only feature was great . I guess smith & wesson put more time in these builds.Anyone else jump on these 8000 or so guns that were produced? Thoughts.?

I also have one. I'm not a fan of 40 and for some reason I can't shoot 3rd gen Smiths as well as my other pistols.

Other than those "me" factors, I really enjoy the pistol. Good grip size, smooth trigger, cool story, and F that state. It's like owning a captured AK.

It's a fair pistol for the era. If you are like me and don't like the mag-disconnect safety there is a way to disable it by removing the rear sight and removing a small pin/spring.

The Gen3 SW have a loyal following. They are decent pistols. Nothing I would choose to carry, but a good nightstand or car carry defensive weapon.

I almost got a 4006 as I've been wanting to get a .40, but from the reviews I read, it was really hit or miss on the quality of the pistol even if it was rated very good+. I know they are turn in pistols, but if I'm going to pay for a very good+ to excellent for one, I'd like to get one that is actually that quality. It was hard to tell from the pictures I looked at as to what quality they were as well.

I'll probably go with one of my other considerations for a .40, the Beretta APX, Beretta 96FS or maybe I'll get my first Glock with a G22 or G35. Too bad none of the local stores carry many pistols in .40 though. I'd like to at least hold one and see which feels the best.

Mike

Eh, don't feel bad. Nothing magical about those Gen3 (9 or 40). I've got and shot a lot of handguns. Here's my honest grade of those Gen3s.

Reliability: A
Weight. C
Ergos: B
Controls: D (slide mounted reverse safety is totally wrong)
Function: B (can be an "A" if mag disconnect safety removed)
Price: D (way overpriced then, and now)
Capacity: C/B (can be improved to "B/A" with upgraded aftermarket Mecgar mags)
Other: F. (can be improved to an "A" if plastic grip replaced with something more durable, due to the total design failure of the hammer spring being in the grip, which if dropped and broken, disables the gun)
Styling: B. Not the best, not the worst. Pretty good.

Overall, I'd average it out to about a "C" or a "B" compared to modern offerings. I'd say a "B" for a home defense or nightstand gun, or a "C" for a carry gun, with the improvement of the grip, delete the mag disconnect, and improved magazines. It's just too heavy for carry given modern offerings.

Well the chp is a decock only no safety ...So their is that...Less then 10k were produced down the road I can see some value in these since most were issued finding nice example will just go up . Besides not every gun ypu buy has to be a carry gun...

Well the chp is a decock only no safety ...So their is that...Less then 10k were produced down the road I can see some value in these since most were issued finding nice example will just go up . Besides not every gun ypu buy has to be a carry gun...

And that's why I graded it probably about a "B" if the defects are remedied. Replace the fragile plastic grips with Hogue rubber or similar to erase the chance of dropping and disabling the gun. Remove the mag disconnect. And you've got a pretty good home defense or car defense gun... And a fine range toy.

It's a fair pistol for the era. If you are like me and don't like the mag-disconnect safety there is a way to disable it by removing the rear sight and removing a small pin/spring.

The Gen3 SW have a loyal following. They are decent pistols. Nothing I would choose to carry, but a good nightstand or car carry defensive weapon.
I love my 3rd gens. The guys at the club call mine "race guns", when i pull them out for our bowling pin shoots. Mine are extremely accurate and handle very well because of their weight. Quick follow up shots are effortless and on point. I have a video of me shooting my 4006 on steel plate, and the slow mo hits on center are scary.

I've always been a 3rd gen S&W fan but don't have any of the .40s. I recently sold my sig p229 so plan on picking one up to fill the spot. The nice thing is that because .40 seems to no longer be the cool round on the block they are going awfully cheap.

I don't have one but I like them. Same basic shape of my Model 59 which I like a lot. It is a gun I'd buy if I was in a buying mood but politics have slowed that down some. I have a Glock 23 in .40 S&W. So this can be looked at one of two ways. I already have the ammo and load for it; or, why would I need another .40? (Answer: because one is not enough).

.40 seems to no longer be the cool round on the block they are going awfully cheap.

Recent gun show I went to, I bought a bag of 400 each .40 cases for two dollars.

I don't have one but I like them. Same basic shape of my Model 59 which I like a lot. It is a gun I'd buy if I was in a buying mood but politics have slowed that down some. I have a Glock 23 in .40 S&W. So this can be looked at one of two ways. I already have the ammo and load for it; or, why would I need another .40? (Answer: because one is not enough).

Recent gun show I went to, I bought a bag of 400 each .40 cases for two dollars.
That's how I feel about it. .40 was actually the first round I started To reload but now that I sold my sig I have lots of .40 and .357 sig brass and rounds because I had both barrels. I figure I'll find a 4006 for the .40 and either a p226 in .357 sig or maybe in about ten years sig will finally make the conversions attainable for the MPX(not likely)

I have a 5906 I really like. I think the TSWs are nice, and I wish my 5906 had a decocker only option since I don't use it for carry. For the same reason the weight isn't an issue. I replaced the stock grips with Pachmayrs; Hogue grips are another option if you don't like the stockers.

The only downside for me would be the .40S&W caliber, which is a great cartridge but expensive and getting more so, and since I already have several 9mm guns I don't need yet another caliber. If that's not an issue for you then I'd say go for it; there aren't many of these around and the all-metal guns are really nice. I love the double-action trigger on my S&W.

Remove the mag disconnect. And you've got a pretty good home defense or car defense gun...
I wouldn't recommend removing the magazine disconnect, as that could get you into serious legal trouble if you ever have to use the gun in self defense. I have a third gen S&W and the magazine disconnect has never been an issue, nor have I ever heard a story of it being one.

Last Edited:
I never added a CHP to my S&W Gen3 hoard because I've never found one I could inspect before buying. I read an article about the CHPs years ago that spoke to the round counts on these retired guns being over 20,000 so I'd want to look closely at the frame, rails, and barrel before buying. I have a lightly used 4006 that is a nice range gun.

I enjoy my single stack Gen3 40s more than the double stack models. The single stacks are the Gen3 models that can be converted to 10mm because they are built on a .45 frame with an under bored .45 barrel which makes them great shooters. As a long time revolver shooter, my favorite S&W Gen3 .40 is the DAO Model 4053 which I often carry in the winter months.

I have the standard 4006 with adjustable rear sights in near mint condition and love it! I have the 5906 and love it as well. They do have weight but shoot what ever you can put in the chamber. About the time that I was searching for one I spoke with the SW teck officer in the early or mid 90s and he informed me the pistol was built or the barrel was built for 25, 000 rounds. My 4006 is accurate!

I re-introduced the 40S&W cartridge into my lineup of guns to shoot. Mostly because an H&K USP with the hard to find bilateral safety came up for sale for a good price. Including 6 OEM msgs didnt hurt either.

While I truly wish LEE would expand their 40 cal molds to include a 6 cavity 150-165 grain mold, they continue to ignore me. 40S&W really shines with 155 grain bullets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top