JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Project Appleseed will be putting on a full distance marksmanship clinic at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club March 21st and 22nd.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eagle-c...distance-march-21-22-2015-tickets-13359539743

Saturday we will work on the fundamentals at 25, 100 and 200 yards. Trigger control, Natural Point Of Aim, Steady Hold Factors for position shooting (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone). We will establish your Battle Sight Zero and learn to mathematically zero your rifle using Inches, Minutes and Clicks. We will cover bullet drop, log books and some wind basics.

Sunday we will establish sight settings at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. Then shoot full distance qualifying scores.

If you've ever wanted to see what you and your rifle can do past 100 yards - this is the place to do it. This is a great way to ease into some NRA high power or CMP service rifle matches.

This is an all center fire event. You will need about 400 rounds of ammunition, an adjustable sling and a rifle - anything up to 8mm.

If you've never participated in an Appleseed event, we will have a standard 25 meter event (.22 or center fire) in Jan. It isn't a requirement to coming to the full distance event but it is highly recommended. http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eagle-creek-or-appleseed-january-24-25-2015-tickets-13359303035

I was thinking this event sounded interested and upon further research, I'm not so sure, quote from one of the links I clicked on about how to prepare.

We do ask a few things up front. Please do not bring side arms (concealed or open) to the Appleseed firing lines. We ask that you leave them in your car. Also, please leave your rifles in your car until your instructors ask you to retrieve them. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation concerning these items.

Why? Because I don't understand, I realize this is a relatively safe place to shoot (my brother is a member of DRRC), but I'm always armed at the range.

Our insurance rider mandates that we run a cold line. The club RSO's have the option to carry. Instructors sometimes carry but we are up and down and laying down with shooters so much that we don't unless conditions call for it.

Thanks for the response, I should have realized it was an insurance policy. It's a bummer, but it is what it is. Still sounds like a fun event and my Dad, Brother, Brother in law, and a shooting busy of mine are going to see if we can make it.

Thanks for the info Kimber Custom, now if I could just make it out to one of the Ruger Rimfire Challenges.

Just curious, is this more of a "service rifle" with irons event, or are hunting rifles that only have optics for sights also appropriate for this? My Ruger American .308 doesn't have irons, but it does have a nice Luepold scope that's zeroed to -1MOA.

Irons or optics don't matter - completely up to the individual shooter.

Any rifle will gain valuable knowledge about field position shooting to a 4MOA standard, understanding bullet trajectory and the basics of reading wind - the fundamentals are the fundamentals no matter what you are shooting.

The qualification course is designed for semi-auto with a detachable magazine and will be much harder with a bolt action or internal box magazine.

The qualification is:
24" target
10 rounds standing @100y - 2 min
10 rounds transition to sitting @200y - 55 sec w/mag change
10 rounds transition to prone @300y - 65 sec w/ mag change
10 rounds prone @400y - 5 min

You need 200 points or 30/40 hits in the black to qualify.

Here's a guy shooting a bolt action on stage 2 with 2 4 round mags and he hand loads the extra 2. He shot a 247/250 that day so it can be done:
Here is the after action report (w/pictures) from last year: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=39554.msg284421#msg284421

Hmmm, good thing you didn't tell me this before I registered.
I'm one of those guys with "one rifle". I spose me and my 30-06 are going to get a work out! :)

Hmmm, good thing you didn't tell me this before I registered.
I'm one of those guys with "one rifle". I spose me and my 30-06 are going to get a work out! :)

Don't sweat the qualification. You don't even have to shoot it if you don't want to. Learn about your rifle. Learn how to use NPOA. Learn how to manage recoil and percussion. Take advantage of the 400 yard range and get good data on your loads.

Don't sweat the qualification. You don't even have to shoot it if you don't want to. Learn about your rifle. Learn how to use NPOA. Learn how to manage recoil and percussion. Take advantage of the 400 yard range and get good data on your loads.

When I'm there I'm gonna shoot every time I can! But, the experience of distance shooting, something I've really never done, is the reason I'm goin.

One other question. Would it help if I have a bipod?

When I'm there I'm gonna shoot every time I can! But, the experience of distance shooting, something I've really never done, is the reason I'm goin.

One other question. Would it help if I have a bipod?

Yes, most definitely shoot at every opportunity - but if we are shooting a transition stage 2 in 55sec and you are not up for that - stay prone and load up 5 rounds and shoot from prone. Get the data without worrying about the transition, the reload or even getting 10 rounds down range.

You will want a sling such as the USGI web sling: http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html

Our goal is field position shooting so we don't use bi-pods. You can bring them and they can be helpful in getting your zero but you will learn more without one.

If a person were to go the masochist route and attempt the qualification with an as-issued '03 Springfield, would allowances be made for loading the magazine during the transition stages i.e. load the magazine with one 5-rd stripper, then reload with another, vs maintaining the 2 and 8 reload (or 2, 5 and 3 as the case may be :) )?

Keith

Yes, most definitely shoot at every opportunity - but if we are shooting a transition stage 2 in 55sec and you are not up for that - stay prone and load up 5 rounds and shoot from prone. Get the data without worrying about the transition, the reload or even getting 10 rounds down range.

You will want a sling such as the USGI web sling: http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html

Our goal is field position shooting so we don't use bi-pods. You can bring them and they can be helpful in getting your zero but you will learn more without one.

Ok. I have a good adjustable sling and no bi-pod. looks like I'm set (enough).
Thanks for all the help.

If a person were to go the masochist route and attempt the qualification with an as-issued '03 Springfield, would allowances be made for loading the magazine during the transition stages i.e. load the magazine with one 5-rd stripper, then reload with another, vs maintaining the 2 and 8 reload (or 2, 5 and 3 as the case may be :) )?

Keith
We could do a 5/5 so you don't have to do a 3rd reload - but you cannot transition with a loaded rifle (more lawyer stuff). You really shouldn't need any bonus. Full distance shooting requirement is 200 vs. 210 and you can also use the 'hits count' method that is 30 out of 40 in the black and I've seen you shoot ;)

I see your point about the safety factor when transitioning. I will practice a 2, 5, 3 reload while I decide whether to go the bolt action route or not. I just talked to my daughter about the shoot and she is hum-hawing over the center fire factor, but as soon as she decides I'll register one of us or both. I'm looking forward to it :) .

Keith

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads