JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The $391.50 Weatherby Vanguard/Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 setup went to the Range today. I wanted to shoot readily accessible and afforfable ammo for this 270. I brought a box of Remington Core-Lokt, Federal Power Shok, and Federal Fusion. All in 130gr.

I wanted to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a capable big game rifle. I did a zero at 100 and them shot groups on paper targets with 8 inch black area. I picked 8 inches to correspond with the average vital area on a deer. The results are posted below.

Last Edited:
The following groups were shot at 100 yards from a bench using a caldwell foreend bag and butt bag. These orange dots are roughly 1.5 inches in diameter.

Core Lokt at 100 yards:
90CEFDEF-3802-4DD5-A9EB-61C1D212A891.jpeg

Federal Power Shok: 8568EEA0-50A0-47F9-A32C-9283AA65FF28.jpeg

Federal Fusion:
BBBD2EEE-AD13-41BF-A0F3-9C40FDAF35B0.jpeg

Damn good especially for just trying off the shelf factory ammo. If it does that you will probably be able to really get some tight groups by the time you can try a few and or roll some for the rifle. Looks like a great set up for little cash outlay. Congrats!

I know that last group was a fluke. The rifle was not allowed to cool between groups, just between changing distances.

It goes to show that shooting one good 3-shot group isn't indicative of how good you or the gun really is. But, I think 10-shot groups would still be within the 2 MOA goal I hoped to achieve.

This rifle and scope combo at $391.50 is plenty capable for your average hunter.

Damn good especially for just trying off the shelf factory ammo. If it does that you will probably be able to really get some tight groups by the time you can try a few and or roll some for the rifle. Looks like a great set up for little cash outlay. Congrats!

This rifle will be getting a new scope, will be restocked (Weatherby comb just isnt my thing), and will get handloads. I'll then shoot again to see if it makes a meaningful difference.

This rifle will be getting a new scope, will be restocked (Weatherby comb just isnt my thing), and will get handloads. I'll then shoot again to see if it makes a meaningful difference.

I am sure it will do better once you find the loads it likes. It's already doing really good which shows it should be fun seeing just how good it gets when you find what it really likes. Hopefully you will be posting a pic of the game it helps bring home when you get it out in the field!

I am sure it will do better once you find the loads it likes. It's already doing really good which shows it should be fun seeing just how good it gets when you find what it really likes. Hopefully you will be posting a pic of the game it helps bring home when you get it out in the field!

I've carried lots of great rifles in the field. Haven't carried nearly as many dead animals...

People give Remington Core Lokt a bad time, I took an antelope at 300 with a Ruger American in 30-06 with Remmy Core Lokt. Wasn't even worried once my Ammo was not acceptable. Nor the rifle.

You figure in how many folks are hunting out there with inexpensive set ups, I think it's a mute point.

I think those with high dollar rigs are far more the minority.

I'm not gonna try the same experiment with mine. It's gonna get some good glass and a new stock before probably ever being shot!

People give Remington Core Lokt a bad time, I took an antelope at 300 with a Ruger American in 30-06 with Remmy Core Lokt. Wasn't even worried once my Ammo was not acceptable. Nor the rifle.

You figure in how many folks are hunting out there with inexpensive set ups, I think it's a mute point.

I think those with high dollar rigs are far more the minority.

Most of the rifles I see people carry in the field are fairly spendy. Maybe not $3000 NULAs wearing $1200 Swarovski scopes, but generally rifle/scope combos in the $1200 range.

I usually buy a rifle for around $700 and then restock at another $550, and then mount $450 worth of scope on it. So, thats $1700 bucks plus tax.

If I had bought the scope new and the Vanguard at Cabelas prices, I'd be into this rifle for around $700.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads