JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years ago I gave my Nephew a Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special. I never bothered to hand load for it since the 170gr. Remington CoreLock HP shot very close to 1/2MOA at 200yrds. It had been my Grandpas last Rifle. That year he took his first deer with it. Now he hunts every year.

People give Remington Core Lokt a bad time, I took an antelope at 300 with a Ruger American in 30-06 with Remmy Core Lokt. Wasn't even worried once my Ammo was not acceptable. Nor the rifle.

You figure in how many folks are hunting out there with inexpensive set ups, I think it's a mute point.

I think those with high dollar rigs are far more the minority.
corelokts are great. before i handloaded it was those and federal fusions

No pics of the rifle?:confused:

7094F8A6-7976-4EEA-81EA-5F1A7826D6AE.jpeg

FWIW...

The Vanguard / Howa trigger isn't great. While handloading got my Vanguard I 30/06 down to sub MOA with a Burris FF, I strongly believe a trigger upgrade would do more to shrink my groups.

That .270 Win. cartridge is serious, they fly strait, hit hard, and and are more accurate then folks think, sadly they just don't get the luvin they rightly deserve! Nice to see that Weatherby/Howa can keep up! That's some mighty fine chootin ya did there @No_Regerts, well done! :D:D:D

That .270 Win. cartridge is serious, they fly strait, hit hard, and and are more accurate then folks think, sadly they just don't get the luvin they rightly deserve! Nice to see that Weatherby/Howa can keep up! That's some mighty fine chootin ya did there @No_Regerts, well done! :D:D:D

The thing about cartridges like the 270 and 30-06 is there isn't much that can be said that hasn't been said ad-nauseum. The 30-06 has been around 112 years and the 270 has been around 93 years.

With new powders like Reloader 26, people are safely getting 150gr bullets in the 270 at over 3000fps (!). I've seen 30-06 loads pushing 180gr bullets at 2900 fps.

Yup, that last group at 300 is legit. We both had a good laugh from that one!

That's why I like the burris ffII 3-9x40. Great scope for the money and allows the shooter to see well enough to place good hits downrange. Good shooting guys, and damn fine job on putting that rifle together No_Regerts... That's the way you do it and get er done.. My new rifle will be getting here on tuesday. I'll be putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle on it. Generally that is the scope of choice for my hunting rifles...

Last Edited:
That's why I like the burris ffII 3-9x40. Great scope for the money and allows the shooter to see well enough to place good hits downrange. Good shooting guys, and damn fine job on putting that rifle together No_Regerts... That's the way you do it and get er done.. My new rifle will be getting here on tuesday. I'll be putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle on it. Generally that is the scope of choice for my hunting rifles...

If you can find them, buy them. Been looking for a new one locally and no joy.

The Howa 1500 and S&W 1500 are both identical to the Vanguard. Made in the same factory on the same production lines. There are some very good bargains on those rifles out there. The Vortex is also a very nice piece for the money, and comes with a lifetime, no fault, no questions asked warranty. You can even return one bought second hand, and they will honor it. They also will upgrade you for a very reasonable fee if you don't like the scope after buying it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top