Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.40 or.45

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by snowdriver, May 31, 2009.

1. snowdriver

snowdriver sandy,oregon Member

okay,well i got my buckmark a while back(love it) and recently got a p89 9mm ruger(believe it or not my wife loves that gun)and now i am on the prowl for a .40 or a .45,this will be what i carry when in the woods and want something reliable and eaSy to carry what do you guys think,in the end i will probably end up with both calibers anyways;):thumbup:let me know what your opinions are thanks

2. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

You could stay with Ruger if you like the feel of the P89. Can't go wrong with a 1911. :)

3. toys

toys PDX Member

i wouldnt get either. i would carry a 357.

4. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

+1 on the 357. Besides, everyone needs a 4" 357! Load it light with wadcutters for fun or bunnies, hot 125gr .357, or 158 +P .38's for two legged vermin, and Buffalobore for the four legged variety.
    http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20

But of the ones you asked about, a .45.

5. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

1911 .45 auto :thumbup:

6. IrishFitz

IrishFitz Happy Valley, OR Member

If you like the Ruger...

I just got a P90... roughly the same size as the 89, but in .45. Absolutely love it, and it didn't break the bank either.

I also have a P95 and an LCP. Ruger has been the most reliable automatic shooter I have experienced without spending near $1000.

7. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Ok, my 2 cents......... I am a lefty, so for me 1911 is out. :( I'm not saying that I couldn't use a right handed only pistol (glock), but I prefer something that I can use as intended without having to compensate for shooting left handed. That being said, find whatever pistol most fits your needs (comfort, fit, concealment) and then determine if it comes in both calibers. Then, decide which you prefer, keeping in mind the current sitaution and availability of ammo. If you can find one caliber in abundance, and none of the other, then............. it may help you lean one way or the other. :thumbup:

8. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

One thing to consider,and this is not stating a preference one way or another,if you're using it for woods carry,you will be able to carry 15 rds of 40 in the same size platform as 10 rds of 45.

As far as a gun recommendation,I'd say get a Witness Steel Frame in 40...

9. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Find a good Colt 1911 45. Used is ok. If you dont like it (you will) then you will get a better price for it if you re sell it.(you wont) Get one and start your 1911 addiction. :) (this coming from a Colt addict.) :thumbup:

10. Muddman

Muddman Aloha Member

Springfield XD-45, 14 Rounds of 45 ACP and reliable. My choice for
    woods carry.

11. moparmike440

moparmike440 SW WA Member

It's HK all the way for me. but it what fits you go to a range and rent some diffrent firearms to see what you like or maybe ask one of us to take you shooting. I have both 40 45 I'd say the 45 has more stoping power but that's me and you can use +p rounds(if your pistol can shot +p) but not in the 40 the 40 is a +p

12. snowdriver

what do you think of that lcp,co-worker just got one for a concealed carry,sure is small enuf for that,how does it shoot??i know its a .380,just curious how you like it,,,and i agree with you i keep looking at rugers ,price vs.quality is very good in my opinion,will probably end up with a 45 1st,and i am sure a 40 will follow it home too!!:D:D

13. IrishFitz

IrishFitz Happy Valley, OR Member

I really like the LCP. True, it is a clone of the Kel-tec P3AT, but I think it is a cleaner build. Much nicer looking and has a few more bevels so it doesn't get caught on your clothes.

Shooting it is great. I am 6'1 and 250 lbs so the recoil doesn't bother me much. My wife doesn't like the recoil. It's really light, hence the recoil. She prefers the PPK in .380 that I bought her a few months ago. It's heavier and thus compensates for the recoil better and she is more accurate with it. Plus she likes the manual safety for when its in her purse. LCP = no safety.

I can put 5 out of 6 inside the nasal cavity of a full size silhouette at 30 feet (measured). And all 6 inside the chest area. And with the finger extenter on the magazine, it fits really good in my hand. It doesn't bite either. The PPK bites my thumb when shooting because I have large hands. The LCP doesn't because it has a lower profile slide and your hand fits farther down the grip.

It's my all-the-time and *every*where gun. It has never FTF or FTE and I have put about 600 rounds through it. I don't even remember its in my pocket until I go to get something, but I will remember its there if I need it.

Ok, I am rambling and will shut up now!

14. BillCh

BillCh Vancouver Active Member

Why does it have to .40 _or_ .45?
    It should be .40 _and_ .45.
    Heck, you don't have to stop there. Just make a list. Juggle the order around so your priorities are on the upper half.
    Problem solved.;)

15. snowdriver

:laugh::bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh::laugh::thumbup:;) yea i think as time goes on i am going to have alot of different caliber pistols:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

16. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

I would go .45 all the way. In generalities the .45ACP is more accurate, and has more knock down power. Any time you are looking at defending your life (from 2 or 4 legged critters), go for the biggest most accurately placed projectile you can have.
    Just my $.02;)