JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I'm working with an rcbs rock chucker and think my carbide dies may be set incorrectly. Since I don't yet have any powder and I'm totally new at this I decided to deprime some of my few thousand rounds to prep for when I have powder.

Set up the die according to the directions but after pressing out several primers I examine the cases and seem to find that they appear to be bulging in the bottom of the case right above the primer pocket.

Don't have a micrometer yet so I can't give measurements but I don't want to blow through deforming the rest of my brass if this isn't working out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413327149.189037.jpg

5 of the 6 in this photo have been pressed. One has not. Am I seeing things or is my press deforming the brass? Look closely at the bottom 1/3 of the case.

Any advice is welcome. I'm at a loss here.

Your decapping punch is screwed-down too much.
Discard those distorted cases.
Back the decapper up into the die, all the way up (counter-clockwise).
Raise the ram with shell holder all the way up.
Screw sizing die down till it touches the shell holder.
Lower the ram.
Screw sizing die down (clockwise) 1/8 of a turn.
Lock sizing die into place.
Insert un-lubed case into shell holder (lube the case if not a carbide die).
(changed from lubed to unlube, thanks elsie)
Raise the ram till the case is all the way into the sizing die (you will feel a small but perceptible "bump" as the ram and shell holder kiss the sizing die).
Screw (clockwise) the decapping punch down till you meet resistance.
Lower the ram to the bottom of it's stroke.
Screw the decapping punch (clockwise) down one turn.
Raise the ram to it's top. Did the primer pop out? If not, lower ram, screw decapping punch down another turn. Repeat until primer pops out of the case.
Then, screw the decapping pin down one more turn, and lock it in place.

Do not use vice grips, etc to lock stuff down. Not good
Finger tight has worked for me since 1976.

Last Edited:
Your decapping punch is screwed-down too much.
Discard those distorted cases.
Back the decapper up into the die, all the way up (counter-clockwise).
Raise the ram with shell holder all the way up.
Screw sizing die down till it touches the shell holder.
Lower the ram.
Screw sizing die down (clockwise) 1/8 of a turn.
Lock sizing die into place.
Insert lubed case into shell holder.
Raise the ram till the case is all the way into the sizing die (you will feel a small but perceptible "bump" as the ram and shell holder kiss the sizing die).
Screw (clockwise) the decapping punch down till you meet resistance.
Lower the ram to the bottom of it's stroke.
Screw the decapping punch (clockwise) down one turn.
Raise the ram to it's top. Did the primer pop out? If not, lower ram, screw decapping punch down another turn. Repeat until primer pops out of the case.
Then, screw the decapping pin down one more turn, and lock it in place.

Do not use vice grips, etc to lock stuff down. Not good
Finger tight has worked for me since 1976.

Just one correction - don't use lube with a carbide die.

Other than that, it sound just right.

What manufacturer's dies are you using?

elsie

Rcbs dies. Thanks. I'll give that a shot when I'm next home. Glad I quit while I was behind..... Better a few hundred toast than a few thousand.

I would check to see if the brass was bulged before you started depriming them. I am not trying to start anything here, however many 40S&W barrels don't seem to fully support the cartridge, Glocks are kind of known for this. I have seen my S&W 40's do the same. Just something to check.

I don't think this is a primer punch issue or for that matter an issue at all.
You state 1/3 above the primer is bulged, this is normal. The sizing die does not size the full length of the brass due to the die bottom being belled at the opening.

Do the marks in the pic depict where your issue is? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413327149_189037.jpg

What Deadeye says........If you look inside the case you'll see the webbing comes up inside to about the place the sizing die stops sizing, so there would be no reason for the die to size all the way to the rim.

I bought once fired range brass brass from the get-go for my CZ 75 .40cal and a bunch was obviously shot in Glocks as there was a slight bulge in the cases near the bottom on one side. That has been no issue and some of the cases are at four times reloaded. Brass is pretty darned malleable (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malleable). I once accidentally loaded the mag with 9mm in the CZ .40 and it shot! The front half of the 9mm brass had been stretched out to .428" from .387" with out splitting. It didn't cycle the slide though. I wouldn't recommend trying this on purpose!

Also, something Rick said I tend to disagree with. I turn the sizing die down until it contacts the shell holder, and no more. I see no advantage to that, only a tiny bit more stress on the ram components that over time may cause extra wear.

Mike

Do this follow the directions that came with it it's not that complicated and when your done it will be set correctly as per manufacture guidelines. I believe they know how to set them since they've been making the stuff for the last 100yrs or so.
Also they look just like mine when I size/ deprime my 9mm,40., and 10mm.
Stacy

I think what you are seeing is where the carbine ring stops during the re-size operation. You should check then in a Wilson gauge.

A few months ago I went through about 1500 pieces of once fired .40 S&W range brass. I tossed the few that had really bad bulges and kept the rest. Following the re-size operation each case was checked with a Wilson case gauge. Those failing to readily headspace in the gauge were re-sized again which often resolved the issue, but a few still had to be tossed. My firearm chambers would have readily accepted the brass that almost fit the Wilson gauge, but .40S&W brass is dirt cheap and plentiful so I opted to be very tight with my requirements.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top