Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.40, .45, or .454?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Arkarayne, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Arkarayne

Arkarayne Medford, OR Member

Well, bit of a 2-fold question, I have my small caliber (.25ACP), and my mid caliber (9mm), I'm looking to expand to a large caliber.
    Without creating toooo much debate, I'm torn between 2 semi and 1 revolver caliber, and also looking for a good mid-price choice for each.

.40/10mm - A bit close to 9mm, but could be a good size/power balance, but I hear it's expensive to reload.

.45 ACP (or .50 AE) - Good ol' big rounds, but too big?

.454 Casull - I could use a good powerful revolver, but if the costs are insane it may not be worth it.

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm a .45 ACP fan. Easy to load for and components are plentiful. Ammo is not difficult to find and is reasonably priced.

If you ask me, I think the 454 would be a lot of fun. It would be a great round if you are considering handgun hunting. If you don't reload, it will quickly break the bank. It will chamber and shoot 45 Colt, but that one's not cheap either.

To me the 40 S&W and the 10mm are in two completely different categories. The 40 would be a good choice for a concealed carry gun. The 10mm is a very powerful round and is usually only found in larger autos. It's not quite as powerful as a .41 Mag, but would be a good "field" hand gun.

3. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

4. Arkarayne

Yeah i've been looking into if i get a .45 i'll most likely get a 1911 style... not to jump on the bandwagon, since, the wagon's FULL, but, it'd be my likely choice.

and for 454 and any caliber i pick i'll seek to reload it. i've got rifles to hunt with but a "hunting" pistol would be a nice switch.

40 and 10mm i've always been on the fence about them, but the bulk of LEO's carry .40 don't they?

So, cheap to buy, cheap to reload, and will be worth my trouble (IE, a good self-defense round, which i'm sure 454 would defend me quite well too lol)

5. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I don't consider ~$0.12 a round for .40 or ~$0.15 a round for 10mm expensive, especailly full power 10mm.

6. speedtriple

speedtriple Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

I reload both .40 S&W and .45 Auto. The cost differance is not really a consideration between the two as far as powder and bullets. You can probably find better deals on .45 if you buy large quantites. As for brass, if you don't load too hot, you will lose .45 brass before you wear it out. .45 is very easy to size, and load. .40 is a bit more on the edge. Some guns do not support the case fully, and the brass will get a bit fat towards the primer end. There is tooling to fix that, but it is more of a hastle. The powder usually fully loads the case.

As for shooting, I was suprised how close to .45 the .40 feels. The .40 is way more like a .45 than it is a 9mm. If you compared it to boxing, if a .45 hits you like a heavy weight, then a .40 feels like a strong, quick light weight. The 9MM would feel like a strong junior boxer. I enjoy both.

7. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

10mm is closer to .45 ACP in horse power. Cost, the more popular the round the less it cost for commercial ammo. .45 acp is less than 10mm.

9mm is the cheapest to shoot. .40 S&W is a compromise for agencies. .45 acp, is harder for some people to shoot well. .40 S&W has more power than a 9mm but most people can shoot it well.

Reloading opens a different dimension as for as cost. Casting your own bullets does that too. 454 Casul is like a .45 colt magnum. .45 colt can be reduced to a pretty sedate load and even into a black powder metallic load.

Issues, 1) what is comfortable for you to shoot
    2) what are you going to use the round for?

8. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

Depends on what you want to do with them ..as has been stated 40 and 45 is the better carry guns (prefer 45).. 10 mm is a specialty round to me basically because of the price/scarecity of the rounds .. if you want the 454 .. i'd move up to the 460 s&W .. it;s a lengthened 454 casull... which is a lengthened 45 colt.. so in most 460s you can shoot any of the listed rounds through it. Don

9. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One nice thing about the .40 is that if there is another ammo shortage it is one of the calibers that is almost always still available on the counters. Although, since you reload, I would say go with the .45acp. The "hand cannon" I have been thinking about is the .460 S&W. With this one you can shoot 45 long colt, .454, or .460 S&W. Very versatile, and you can practice for much cheaper with the long colt rounds.

10. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

.40S&W and .45acp are much closer to each other than 10mm, both are capable of loads in the 500 ft/lbs range and 10mm capable of well over 700 ft/lbs.

Cost wise, just looking at .45 bullets they are more than .40/10mm bullets, the .45 does appear to use a little less powder so cost wise for reloading they are about equal, 10mm brass is a little more but not as much as you'd think, looking at Starline brass on Midway right now 10mm brass is less than $0.02 more a piece than .45acp.

11. Arkarayne

Well, my thinking process:

I move 9mm to a general "put holes in stuff" role and probably keep my pistols for it, maybe pick up a carbine.
    My main (and only) rifle caliber is my basic long range/hunting round.
    the next caliber i pick up becomes the "put large holes in bad people who are too close for comfort" round

It sounds like:
    .40 is a balanced round...
    10mm is big stick in a small package...
    .45 is the do-all hole-maker...
    .45LC/.454 Casull/.460 S&W is the "short barreled rifle" option with eardrum busting pain.
    and .500 is if i want people to think i have a sword on my hip.
    (and i'm a big revolver fan, might of been a past life's influence, so I naturally lean towards those.)
    And the bigger-is-better thing has never really been a big draw of mine, though holding a revolver i could flip over and remove someone's jaw with a swift swing does get a point across..

So, unless I can get a revolver in those (or another) large calibers that doesn't cost "2 months salary" I guess I'm going with a .45 ruger or 1911 clone...

12. Arkarayne

...Hmm, tempting. Looks like a good canidate.

13. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I choose none of the above. Get a Springfield 1911 and buy a 460 Rowland kit for it.

This will give you:

1. A nice 1911
    2. The ability to use 45 ACP
    3. Additionally the bear stopping power of 460 Rowland

Two meaningful calibers, one gun, and a whole lot of fun. It might also be fun to get one of these http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.php for some carbine fun.

14. Arkarayne

a 1911, with "Low" and "High" "power settings" you may say, and the ability to convert from pistol to carbine... I'm intrigued...
    I assume (or hope) the same magazines would be usable by the .460, since the bullet is essentially the same length?

15. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Yes sir! I have this setup and it is a heck of alot of fun. Also the combination makes for a neat little survival gun. Only need one set of dies for hangun and compact rifle. The CCU makes a great 100-150 yard gun when using 460 Rowland FWIW.

16. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Buy a revolver in .460 S&W, then you can shoot .45LC, .454 Casull and .460.

17. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I just happen to know a guy who has a 460 rowland kit for sale ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

10mm (real close to the 41mag) if you want a semi auto or a 44mag for a revolver.

Plenty of people hunt with the 44mag and I believe it's a bit cheaper than the 454 Casull.
    Plus with the right gun and handloads you can get similar ballistics if you want.

The 40s7w and the 45 acp are in the same category as the 9mm,really.Even though I joke about the 9mm being a woman's round