JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I have been living in China for 12 years and now that our twin daughters are nearly 6 we've decided to move back to the U.S. for the better education system. (Don't believe the hype about China's education system. It is a Gulag! My wife (who's Chinese) and I are university teachers, of English teaching methodology / pedagogy, so we'd know)

I'm originally from Indiana but we decided that we wanted to live near (but not in) Portland. My parents are moving out there to live with us and my father-in-law and his wife may eventually join us. My mom and I will be arriving in Oregon the third week of October to start looking at houses / land and start building a house / addition.

Our friends have a house in Portland & spend the rainy season in Florida, they've generously offered us use of their house for half a year. Even though we may eventually buy property in Multnomah county, initially I'd rather rent in a nearby county. A county where the sheriff doesn't think its ok to make me apply to wait months, for an appointment, to apply for permission, to be granted a license, which gives me permission, to have the ability to exercise the most fundamental right of any living being.

The main reason we chose Oregon over California (FYI we are really really liberal) are the gun laws. In Indiana I got my CCP at age 18 and it took maybe a week or two.

I knew that in Oregon laws differed from Indiana, that I'd need to take a gun safety class etc... But the devil in really in the details isn't it! I mean, I'm going to be driving around in the country & forests with my mom (who's 70) and thanks to the Multnomah county commissioners I can't even have a handgun locked in the glovebox of my Subaru and keep a loaded mag in my pocket!

So I need to find a place outside Multnomah to rent. Not too far from Portland but in a county where public officials don't twist the law and abuse their office in order to advance their own personal agendas. My mom will probably stay in our friends' house, she has an Indiana CCP but she won't be in a hurry to get her OR CHL since she seldom carries anyway.

1) Any suggestions about which county (near portland) has fast CHL turaround?

2) Any suggestions on month by month renting in said county?

3) Also what do I do about "local character references"?

Everyone I know out there is liberal / progressive and people like me are more or less IN THE CLOSET on 2A issues. I mean it is one thing to mention organically in a political / philosophical conversation that self defense is a human right, but for armed liberals there is no "gundar" to tell us who shares our views and saying; "BTW I put you down as a character reference on my CHL application"; is sort of like standing in front of your conservative Christian church's congregation and saying "I'm here and queer...."

One more thing a few years ago when I cleared out the stuff I had stored in my parents house they only wanted to kept my 10/22 so I sold my AR & handguns.

4) What is a good place to buy a 4th gen g19, 2 Khar p380s, and a FN-PS90 OD standard?

1. I'm not sure what they are now but Clackamas and Washington were faster. I believe Clackamas slipped to 1 to 1.5 months at one point.

2. No real ideas. Maybe look at Craigslist.

3. Meet some other people I guess. i don't think the references are very important. I don't think most counties contact them.

4. Maybe look at the classifieds here. Sometimes there's deals. Keith's in Gresham might have all three. I would also try Rapid Firearms in Sandy. They'll most likely be a bit more expensive than Keith's but it's a good shop. I imagine the PS90 will be tougher to find than the others.

Having lived in Washington, working in Portland and now living in Oregon, I would suggest looking at the Vancouver-ish area if you want to be near PDX. Its kind of the best of both worlds. Portland will make communist China look like a bastion of freedom. As drew mentioned, Keith's is one of the premier shops and has an awesome selection. Just my two cents....

If youre "really really liberal" why isnt california the spot for you?
Essentially thats what your elected officials neuter every citizens personal rights to.
I think to reap the binifits of the more independant and libitarian states because even you find CAs law to be too overbearing a bit silly.
Oregon is heading that way due to the progressive city Meccas (Portland, Salem, Eugene, Lake Oswego..etc)

Also, the "quick turnover rate" for your CC question seems to come off as a "baiting" question.
The firearms you inquired about seem like an odd select few that the gun grabbers foam at the mouth about. Minus the AR of course.

Forgive me for being so rash, but read as was written it came off rather trolling-esque'.

The only forest in Multnomah county is Forest park. And your going to want to live somewhere close to where you work. So I would get that figured out soon.

As to the CHL times The Sheriffs have 45 days after your finger print appointment to issue the permit. Not sure on other counties but in Marion it will take all of that to get your permit. My son just went through the process he asked for an appointment in early August and had it Oct 2 he will get his permit 45 days later. Classes are everywhere. There's a guy here in Salem that does one every Thursday evening. For instance.

"If youre "really really liberal" why isnt california the spot for you?"

...Uhm... mainly because of the gun laws.

"Essentially thats what your elected officials neuter every citizens personal rights to."

My understanding of the board rules is to avoid non-firearms related politics but... I have never voted nor will I ever, so technically they are not "my elected officials" but I see your point. I just want the gov. to stay out of my gunsafe AND out of my bedroom but I don't mind them in my wallet because (A) I am my brother's keeper, and (B) I pay Cesars due to Cesar, and (C) Scrooge McDuck is not my hero.

"the "quick turnover rate" for your CC question seems to come off as a "baiting" question."

I had thought that it would take a few weeks to get my CHL and that in the meantime I had the options of loaded open carry and loaded locked glovebox carry. I thought that because thats what it says in Oregon G.D. laws. Now when I'm preparing to move there I feel like the victim of a bait and switch and I'm just trying to figure out a legal way to avoid being unarmed for the next half year. How exactly it it baiting to expect prompt service from the government that I'll soon be paying significant taxes to? I changed "service" to "turnover" because I thought "service" made me sound like as a$$.

"The firearms you inquired about seem like an odd select few that the gun grabbers foam at the mouth about. Minus the AR of course".

I'm a little confused here because the gun grabbers DO foam about ARs and I doubt some of them would know a PS90 is even a gun even if they were holding it in their own hands.

"Forgive me for being so rash, but read as was written it came off rather trolling-esque'.
Ok no hard feelings but honestly when read as written your non reply to my self introduction and questions comes off as someone looking for an opportunity to "punch a progressive". If you and your brethren keep it up Oregon will go the way of Colarado.

Oh, and yes I do want to enjoy the best of both worlds (libertarian and progressive) I want the drug addicts to be given methadone and food stamps so they won't bother breaking into my home and I won't be forced to shoot them. And if I am forced to shoot someone in self-defense I want the police and prosecutors to be 100% on my side.

Wow, an advocate of compulsory voting! Maybe not so much freedom left in the U.S. compared to Communist China after all.:eek:

Have you checked if you still have the right to vote? Some here argue that if you don't use a right you lose it... (sarcasm)...

Welcome by the way... even think of going to wa instead? Cpls take much less time to get and oc is still legalin WA. No sbr and full auto though...

Don't forget oc is banned in Portland without a license

OK here's my concern if I start out residing in Multnomah I may very well move to another county before I even get an appointment. Then What do I do? And if that county has a long wait too? We may stay in our friends house in Portland a couple months, then buy a small house to live in while building, and then move agin when finished building. I just don't want to be deprived of my rights for a whole year, 12 years in China was ENOUGH!

For the price of a single gun I could rent a room for a couple months, get my CHL, and largely avoid Portland traffic. It's not like I'm living in Portland already and setting up a fake residence to skirt the law. It is a legitimate consideration in choosing where to live. In fact other than the option of staying for free in Portland it would be the overriding consideration in which county I choose.

I don't want to be disarmed by some freaking county commissioners whose authority should be no more broad then deciding how much to budget for road salt. And I don't want to carry loaded magazines in my vehicle "illegally" and be the test case to point out that their little ordinance is in direct violation of state law.

So I'm just asking you folks which counties relatively near portland can process a CHL quickly?

Aren't you afraid they'll scoop your eyeballs out with you inquiring about guns, guns, guns and how to expedite particulars while you're in China?

My neighbors just (about a year ago) moved back from Shanghai. They were both linguistics instructors over there. I have no idea as to their politics but they seem like good folk.

Wow, an advocate of compulsory voting! Maybe not so much freedom left in the U.S. compared to Communist China after all.:eek:

Voting is not compulsory, it is a right. A lot of people paid the ultimate price to ensure that right. So you aren't concerned about voting but you are concerned about county commissioners taking away your 2nd amendment rights? So you are willing for other people to vote to uphold your rights but you are not willing to exercise your right to vote? Maybe you don't see it but that is pretty hypocritical and comes across as elitist . Your words, "I have never voted and never will," so are you unable to vote because the law or by choice?

On this side of the Pacific we are having a very hard time holding on to any rights to bear arms in the face of attacks by politicians whose main goal is to disarm the American citizen. So, many of us Vote since it is the most peaceful, powerful way we can put people in to government that support our Second Amendment rights.
Seems selfish for you to want the wagon to move forward but are just fine with other people putting their shoulders to the wheel to get it out of the mud and not your own.

Brutus out

The gov here only really cares if you do something they think is bad for them, whereas in the U.S. the gov (both parties) care a hell of a lot about if you do something that they think is bad for you.

Actually years ago I went shooting at an air force base here a few times. Some crummy 7.62 tok blowback pistols and semi-only AKs. We couldn't load the guns ourselves, we were handed loaded weapons with each lane having a RO / minder to make sure noobs didn't shoot their toes off. The last time we went, the range was "occupied" and we were taken to try out their new "live simulator" which consisted of some pretty pathetic scenarios being projected on a curved wall and a deactivated tok with a laser connected to the trigger. I got the feeling that someone had previously gotten chewed out for letting a foreigner play with the real guns so I didn't try to go back again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top