Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

4 black helicopters?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mouse, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mouse

mouse Pacific Northwest Active Member

4 black unmarked (medium sized), helicopters just flew over my house. I live in hillsboro Oregon. We live moderately close to an airfield, but these suckers were fast and loud. What's up with that? Training thing?

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

they come over our house at washougal all the time.sometimes they rattle the windows.Heading South East always,wth are they going I wonder..I should get the old 35mm camera out with the monster zooom lens and get a picture..and hope they don't reciprecate. (sp)

3. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

Hahaha. "Unidentified male, aiming a Canon at us. Open fire."

4. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Probably UH-60 Blackhawks, could have been OH-58s. The Oregon Army National Guard flies them out of Salem, they're dark green but look black from a short distance away.

5. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

The Army National Guard Mountain Search and Rescue group has their helicopters at the Salem airport. They seem to be doing a lot more practice and a lot more flights the last couple of weeks. They also train pilots and rescue crews from around the country so I wouldn't be surprised to see them all over the state if they've got more training exercises going on right now.

6. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I saw them too, got a pic of one
    blue_zps9bbef887.jpg

7. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

Don't tell 'em where you live!

8. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I guess the better question is what "black" helicopters are clearly marked?

Even on fires "clearly" marked is a relative term.

DSC03541-1.jpg

9. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

We were in Shelton watching a Chinook doing staggerd troop drops, low level static line. My lil ones were having a blast counting how many troops jumped out each pass. I had them singing, stand up , hook up, shuffle to the door. JUMP right out and count to four. They loved it!!!!

10. Bob D

Bob D Oregon, Cascades Well-Known Member

Salem NG has quite a few black helicopters, three different models. They do training missions from the cascades to the coast, Tacoma down to Eugene, every day of the week. Don't get freaked out. None of them have any guns on them.

11. Heidland

Heidland SW Washington Active Member

I love that movie.

12. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I fly out of the Hillsboro Airport and I saw them land. It was the ONG out of Salem. They routinely fly to Astoria by way of Hillsboro and usually get fuel at the Hillsboro Airport. They aren't really flying that low but, for non aviation oriented people the power of the rotor seems larger compared to the Robinsons that are normally flying around so it feels like they are lower. Technically they don't have a limit as to how low they can fly unlike airplanes. The FAA says high enough that the pilot can safely land the aircraft in the event of an emergency without significant risk to persons or property. Occasionally they fly lower because of jet traffic (Intel and Nike) and/or cloud layers.

Bob D and (deleted member) like this.
  13. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

SA 341/SA 342 Gazelle

Well... It was before they morphed it all up!!

Sweet heli and FAST!

14. mouse

mouse Pacific Northwest Active Member

Yes, you're right! I knew they weren't quite black, but they were so dark I just assumed.

15. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Or was it this one:

16. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Thats right Blue Thunder!!!!!

17. Hartebreak

Hartebreak Portland Member

They were OH58's with the mast mounted sighting and tracking pods on top of the rotor mast. Cool little buggers.

18. BVB

BVB PDX Active Member

or as he would say "catchya later"

19. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

yup Bell OH58 Kiowas - I saw 4 flying south towards Portland over the river today - see a flight of 4-12 just about every day up and down the river. Lately the Kiowas but plenty of blackhawks and others as well. None of them have obvious markings but then again military birds aren't painted to stand out and scream "TARGET" either.

20. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

It's not Ross Perot gearing up for 2016. It's Oregon National Guard, training for military ops wherever the presiding clown in chief and guffawing jester, red or blue, send them.

Support your local guys and gals once they go and come back.

Lots of young people carry out orders and come home with PTSD, TBI (traumatic brain injury from concussive expolsive devices), and myriad resipiratory diseases from filthy environments where a routine job is to burn tons of feces with diesel fuel, lest we disperse waste into ground water like the locals have for centuries.

What's flying over your house is just the routine exercize of warbirds getting ready to go do the job - whatever it is this week.