JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not how fast the projectiles end up going - take the GAU8, the 30mm Gatling gun that has an airplane wrapped around it, our old favourite, the A10 Warthog.

It's how many projectiles there ARE in the air at the same time - the GAU8 puts around 170 rounds into a burst.

However, it all pales into near insignificance by comparison with the 6000 rpm 20mm Vulcan, or the 30mm CIWS shipboard anti-missile gun. The Russian Kashtan system fires 4500 rpm from TWO barrels simultaneously - as does the over and under Duet system - 9000 rpm of 30mm hoonity.

Last Edited:
22-250 is on my list, for no other reason than just because. :D

My deuce looked like this but with darker wood. Responsible for the demise of many a rockchuck.

ReaderDelbo05WEB.jpg

Should see the fireball a .243 makes when blasting out 55gr or lighter pills at mach 10000

I used a Swift to great prairie dog effect for years on end. But its not only thing that travels 4000 plus FPS.. . Most of my Swift loads were in the 4500 to 5000 fps range ...

A 6mm and a 243 both will hit 4000 with 55 grain bullets.
Yes. I shoot Hornady 55Gr vmax at 3950. I will hop on my quad and go 50mph on the next coyote and see if its 4000.

Last Edited:
Cartridge, caliber .50, saboted light armor penetrator (SLAP), M903This cartridge has a 355 – 360 gr (23.00 – 23.33 g) heavy metal (tungsten) penetrator that is sabot-launched at a muzzle velocity of 4,000 ft/s (1,219 m/s). The 0.50 in (12.7 mm) diameter sabot is designed to separate after leaving the muzzle, releasing the 0.30 (7.62 mm) penetrator. It is injection molded of special high strength plastic and is reinforced with an aluminum insert in the base section. The cartridge is identified by an amber sabot (Ultem 1000). For use only in the M2 series of machine guns. :cool: This round can penetrate 0.75in (19 mm) of steel armor at 1,500 yards (1,400 m).[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG#Military_cartridge_types
WOW! Thanks! Awesome! Wonder of Wal Mart carries them....? You must have an amazing history. I've got a fair collection of some 12y/o scotches and I'd love to hear some of your stories. Thx

Not that I ever heard of and there would be no point, whatsoever.
Machine guns already have a problem burning out barrels.
Why exacerbate the situation ?

With machine guns it's more about "rate of fire".
The WWII German MG42 was one of the fastest ever (1200 RPM).
Called "Hitler's Zipper" because of the sound it made.
I believe our M60 took some design cues from it, but had a slower rate of fire (600 RPM).
Never heard of that one. I was always told of it being called the "Buzz Saw". Hate the damn thing when it comes to what it did to so many of our boys!

Both my 22-250 and my .243 will run to 4000fps with the right loads. It takes like 5000 rds to start loosing accuracy from throat erosion using this hot of a round. Thats one hell of a lot of ammo in a bolt action rifle. And then considering all the ammo you shoot would have to be that hot. So in reality 98% of shooters will never shoot enough super hot ammo to burn out a barrel.

A while back in another thread I had mentioned Jim Carmichael of Outdoor Life taking a Shilen DGA in 220 Swift with the sole purpose of "burning the barrel out, they made routine measurements every 500 rounds measuring the group sizes. The way I remember it they ended up shooting something in the neighborhood of 10,000 rounds before the rifle lost its "varmint accuracy" at the end of it all the gun was shooting groups slightly larger than an inch with a burned out throat . Carmichael remarked that they were actually able to cut the chamber off , re chamber in a different caliber and the barrel was still capable of Sub MOA performance .

Accuracy is a very subjective metric ...

Its not the bullet traveling down the bore that ruins a barrel its the throat erosion from the high pressure hot loads pushing the bullet.

Actually that is not correct , bullets traveling down the barrel can and do wear the rifling out, most folks will never shoot a rifle enough to wear the rifling out of a barrel or burn a throat out to a point its unusable

Actually that is not correct , bullets traveling down the barrel can and do wear the rifling out, most folks will never shoot a rifle enough to wear the rifling out of a barrel or burn a throat out to a point its unusable
Throat erosion happens faster than wearing out rifling.
I'll probably never wear the rifling out of a barrel, but if I shoot my 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler very much, I'll wear the throats out of those, I'd expect.
The bane of owning over-bore chamberings.
Third World problem.

Out of a 22-250?

It depends, I would never use 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 for varmints.. I use them for service rifle and and other long range competitions requiring VLD / ELD bullets . There is a reason varmint bullets are built like they are and a reason target bullets are built the way they are. Both can be very accurate, but varmint bullets are designed to delivery accuracy and explosive performance on small thin skinned critters .

Out of a 22-250?
22-250 is off the table I would think, when it comes to the long heavies.
I suppose you could have it long-throated for long heavies, but you might have to single load it.

I was using .22 Creedmoor for the example. 1/8 is recommended for it.
.223 Wylde for example, is usually done with an 8 twist.

Last Edited:
I used a Swift to great prairie dog effect for years on end. But its not only thing that travels 4000 plus FPS.. . Most of my Swift loads were in the 4500 to 5000 fps range ...

A 6mm and a 243 both will hit 4000 with 55 grain bullets.
243 winchester with 50gr. zombies. not an exit on yotes yet. they are usually within 10ft. of where they were. chrony says 3850. just a bit more room in there, but haven't gone there.

22-250 is off the table I would think, when it comes to the long heavies.
I suppose you could have it long-throated for long heavies, but you might have to single load it.

I was using .22 Creedmoor for the example. 1/8 is recommended for it.
.22 Wylde is usually done with an 8 twist.
My question was regarding extreme long range with the 77-80 gr .22 cal pills.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top